Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANy shop/business ideas

• 17-04-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

What shop or business is missing from longford currently?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Decent hotels.
    A properly funded theatre/ venue with a cafe in the town centre but still Backstage. Move Backstage into town and fund the bugger is what i mean!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

a proper coffee house / cafe doing quality coffees ( in the town centre i mean )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

davehey79 wrote: »
    a proper coffee house / cafe doing quality coffees ( in the town centre i mean )

Torc and keoghs already fill that slot i would have thought?

Dunno something abou them i dont like maybe its just me. I'd like an out and out coffee shop ala starbucks/Nero/Insomnia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

A proper take away sandwich bar. Not subway or a petrol station...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

A proper take away sandwich bar. Not subway or a petrol station...

I presume obriens are gone so.. The town really needs a good hotel not owned by a Reynolds..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I presume obriens are gone so.. The town really needs a good hotel not owned by a Reynolds..

totally agree on that one and the above post too which is what i was alluding too

• Registered Users Posts: 32 buzzardflute

totally agree on that one and the above post too which is what i was alluding too

It need's a burger king,hate having to travel to athlone for a whopper meal:p

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A pawn shop would do well for the next decade or three given the times we are in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

1. Hotel - There'd be loads of business for a proper hotel in the area from weddings and other functions. The old convent in Ardagh is for sale again and this would be the perfect oppurtunity to buy a suitable venue at the right money, but you'd have to have the money first :D

2. A franchise like Burger king or Starbucks but probably be a relatively save bet.

To be honest its hard to know what might work other than those two suggestions, Longford has a small population and without other attractions in the town and surroundings it is unlikely to attract much outside business. Best of luck with any business you do set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 truesmiles

Open the Longford Town Centre! There should be some nice shops in it like GAP, H&M, Diesel, M&S (the shops you have to go all the way to Dublin or Athlone to get.) Also maybe a Burger King, Starbucks etc. I know I'm thinking a little big but I really think it'll make people happier (well, definitely me!) ;)

I also totally agree with the hotel idea.

OMG you are so right wolfeye! We do need an Iceland but it would be great if there was a 3rd level college here!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I agree competition is good but Is another Hotel viable?
    How are the rooms going to be filled?
    Alot of hotels in the country are struggling me thinks.
    Longford aint exactly a Tourist mecca and its bypassed.
    Annaly closed,shannon key west closed.

And out of town Shopping centres with free parking lead to the death of town centres with paid for parking.
    People have less money to eat out and buy brand name items from high end retail stores or buy online where cheaper.

Longford has really improved over the last 10 years in the amount of cafes around.

Lidl ,Aldi ,2 euro ,penny's or any discount stores will do well.

Where is iceland? Was'nt there a big write up in the leader about it comming to Longford?

Plus Longford would do with a third level college where one could do proper evening courses to degree level.
    Plus college towns attract employment by bringing new industries etc.

ok my rant over..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Dunno something abou them i dont like maybe its just me. I'd like an out and out coffee shop ala starbucks/Nero/Insomnia etc.

Nero. YES. T'would be pretty awesome to have the first Nero in the ROI in Longford. Friggin' really nice coffee; all with standard double shots. :D
    Esquires is nice enough too.

MrPirate wrote: »
    Nero. YES. T'would be pretty awesome to have the first Nero in the ROI in Longford. Friggin' really nice coffee; all with standard double shots. :D
    Esquires is nice enough too.

dream scenario of course !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Maybe something like Dealz? Not sure how you go about opening one of their shops but the stores in athlone and mullingar are always very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sharpie82

The town needs a fresh new venue, something like pv's but not as stuffy and wood clad. It would be nice to go somewhere that's not valentines, spiral or blazers on a night out. Somewhere that's great for food and entertainment and be more open to comedy, pub quizzes and live music. Importantly it would need to be a fresh open complex that's relaxing during the day good for coffees, newspaper reading and lunches and not your typical pub scene. I thought that when Escabar opened it was the start of something refreshing for the town, an open space with an open to view kitchen...it's was on the right lines. It's a pity it didn't work out better.

Advertisement