Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

My teacher says you don't need to paraphrase. So you can just take your answer straight from the text. But, if you take too much i.e if the answer was sentence Y from the text and you gave sentence X & Y in your answer you will be deducted marks so an understanding of the question and the text is kind of important! :p

It clearly stated in the old course that your answers had to be in your own words, and it was evident in the Marking scheme, actual reproduction of the text seemed to be award 1m at the max. This year it is not written on the paper, or surely isn't on the sample paper. I still would imagine that Paraphasing is a part of the process. I am trying to think off hand, have I read it in the Teacher's outline and syllabus. Paraphasing a little bit, in my opinion, would be the best option. The new questions, the grammer ones, and the What type person is X and Y will be the main focus of the marks within that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Carrie4321

I don't like the new course! At all :/ First they add 20 pictures which is grand and dandy you'll get over it but then they change all the Pro's and Poems so that predicting or getting notes from previous years is not possible :/ Instead of making it easier they've really made it harder, in my opinion anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

My teacher heard that the ones with bubble speech are likely to be given to the HL students.....Anyone else hear that??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

They dont know your exam level when you do your oral...so no.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    They dont know your exam level when you do your oral...so no.
    Yes but they can easily pick out the stronger students straight away who tend to be w higher level so the stronger students should get the harder ones !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Hmm, true :) But I would think it to be the other way around - I got one of those in my pre-mock oral and it helped me to remember the story by looking at the bubbles, theyre like little prompts really.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Hmm, true :) But I would think it to be the other way around - I got one of those in my pre-mock oral and it helped me to remember the story by looking at the bubbles, theyre like little prompts really.
    But the ones without tend to be far less complicated and a bit more like the sceal from the jc

They've now slightly changed the oral. You pick the sraith picture not the examiner ! Randomnly of course :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Maybe he means you get shown the blank side of the pages and are told to pick one. Whoop dee doo:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

My teacher was at a conference last week and apparently it's like picking a card, the pictures are faced down so you can't see what one you're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh I get it. How exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Had my mock Irish Oral today. It's quite unusual. All the sraith picture are put into envelopes and spread across the table. You then choose one of the envelopes, open it and hand it to the examiner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Had my mock Irish Oral today. It's quite unusual. All the sraith picture are put into envelopes and spread across the table. You then choose one of the envelopes, open it and hand it to the examiner!

Sounds like an awful waste of envelopes. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Sounds similar to how it's done in the German oral - there are 5 picture sequences for that which are just laid out face down on the table and you pick one at random

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

Does anyone know where I could get an mp3 download of the Poems to listen for the oral? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

ellen94_ wrote: »
    I would love the new course if my teacher wasn't a blundering idiot... :P was aiming for a HA1, now HB2 thanks to the lazy bitch....

Mine too...We haven't any picture stories done!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Anro wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get an mp3 download of the Poems to listen for the oral? :)

Have you the book Fiúntas? There is a CD with that. The poems are done on it. Also Líofa (which is like 20 euro :/) has a CD and its basically the poems and other oral work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    Oh I get it. How exciting
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Anro wrote: »

This guy has all the poems done with perfect pronunciation, just got to keepvid and click the mp3 link.

Here's the link for Géibheann >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9nXPwz66GM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

Can anyone doing higher level Irish please clarify this for me because I'm an external student and the chap giving me grinds hasn't a clue! On Paper 2 for the poems and pros - i know there are two questions but will one be specific and one be on any poem/pros we've studied?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

This makes me mad. Don't go to grinds if they're crap, enough of great teachers out there. Spicifically what do you need to know, I can hopefully help.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

ah listen it was my own fault I made a last minute decision to repeat the Irish and he was all I could afford, I'm teaching him more than he's teachin me the poor divil! I'm just worried that I haven't studied the poems etc. properly so here's what I'm looking for - the question on prose and the poems - we get a choice of two questions so will one question be on a specific poem/pros and the other a question on a poem or pros of our choice OR are both questions going to be on specific poems/pros? Did that even make sense? am googly eyed here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

frulewis wrote: »
    Can anyone doing higher level Irish please clarify this for me because I'm an external student and the chap giving me grinds hasn't a clue! On Paper 2 for the poems and pros - i know there are two questions but will one be specific and one be on any poem/pros we've studied?

Yes, but it's two different courses, the set course (that everyone does) and the optional course (that has the open question) afaik.

frulewis wrote: »
    of you did the poems like geibheann , colscradh etc and the prose oisin, dis,etc you answer question a ! The b question is for those people who have selected their own stories and poetry to study ! If you answer question b and lets say right about geibheann and colscaradh has come up on part A you get zero marks !

HL Irish students, what essays are you preparing?
    I'm learning:

-Recession
    -Emigration
    -Olympic Games
    -Young people
    -Irish language
    -Technology
    -Environment

Do ye think I should prepare anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

HL Irish students, what essays are you preparing?
    I'm learning:

-Recession
    -Emigration
    -Olympic Games
    -Young people
    -Irish language
    -Technology

Do ye think I should prepare anything else?

I'm doing at least

environment (a few types, like ozone, energy and general)
    Poverty
    Fashion
    Irish language
    Politics
    road deaths
    media
    special Olympics/sport

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I'm doing at least

environment (a few types, like ozone, energy and general)
    Poverty
    Fashion
    Irish language
    Politics
    road deaths
    media
    special Olympics/sport

Oh I forgot about the environment, I'm doing that too! :p Our teacher told us to do an essay on Slád ar an mbóthar a few weeks ago but I didn't do it because I thought it wouldn't come up. Should I prepare it?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im really happy the course change :)
    At first I was really worried about the 40% for the oral but we've really been practising it all year and our teacher qaraunteed us we all have a high standard of irish, coming from a gaelteacht-ish area.
    I hated the sraith pictuiri at first but aftr a whike you just have to get over them. You dont need to learn every single thing in each picture, its not like there gonna dock you marks everytime you miss something. You just have to make it natural. i.e - make it up as you go along.
    Really happy history isnt on the paper anymore, that was meant to be a bitch :/
    And way less poems and stories I think, is that right?
    Well anyways Im delighted it changed!

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    Im really happy the course change :)
    At first I was really worried about the 40% for the oral but we've really been practising it all year and our teacher qaraunteed us we all have a high standard of irish, coming from a gaelteacht-ish area.
    I hated the sraith pictuiri at first but aftr a whike you just have to get over them. You dont need to learn every single thing in each picture, its not like there gonna dock you marks everytime you miss something. You just have to make it natural. i.e - make it up as you go along.
    Really happy history isnt on the paper anymore, that was meant to be a bitch :/
    And way less poems and stories I think, is that right?
    Well anyways Im delighted it changed!

Aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leat :)

Advertisement