Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lighthouse991

For one of the cards I did manage to register yesterday, I entered the last 6 digits of my phone number and DOB in DD MM YYYY format.

And yes, I also made a payment via AIB site for the other card that I was unable to register only to realise today the payment details i had set up contain Old card number that was issued to my husband years ago and has been replaced several times since then during renewals. FFS....Well, I suppose, since I have to write them a letter now anyway in order to locate the money and put them where they should be, I'll include the complaint too - let their Consumer Affairs team do a bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Charlee Great Tycoon

Just registered my details with them using firefox.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

To protect our customers against online fraud we have limited the amount customers can pay towards a statement balance via our site. The maximum online payment limit is €750.00 per payment.

If you want to pay more than the maximum online payment limit towards a statement balance you will need to use an alternative payment method such as in the Post Office.

Is this not madness. I have to go to the post office now if I want to pay €800. I, too am tired of waiting for someone to answer the phone. I will go to the post office, clear my bill and move to BOI credit cards. Avant are not inspiring me with confidence at all. Their attitude towards their new customers is a disgrace. Some feedback from them on their site would be appreciated!!

Yes, because fraudsters are well known for lodging money INTO people's accounts......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 saskwatch

Ok i got in alright - did take some time though..fiddling about with passwords etc...have a friend who works for avantcard...was talking to him and he says they are nothing to do with MBNA anymore. different company (the legalities of ownership are fully complete). and so you cannot go onto mbna website for anything.

he also says they couldn't foresee what happened. as was excited by new company and changeover, (as they thought they were all heading for the dole queue a year ago).

Like everything, changeovers take time....

they should have done better though - from reading these posts 40 minutes is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If i want to make a payment off my credit card from my online banking, do I just amend/delete the existing one and replace it with a new one with the Avant Card number and Sort Code? I understand the MBNA one is now void so I dont want to be losing money on a dead link! If anyone has already done this can you please let me know what you called the account? The MBNA one just had your number as the name. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

saskwatch wrote: »
    Ok i got in alright - did take some time though..fiddling about with passwords etc...have a friend who works for avantcard...was talking to him and he says they are nothing to do with MBNA anymore. different company (the legalities of ownership are fully complete). and so you cannot go onto mbna website for anything.

he also says they couldn't foresee what happened. as was excited by new company and changeover, (as they thought they were all heading for the dole queue a year ago).

Like everything, changeovers take time....

they should have done better though - from reading these posts 40 minutes is a long time.

Most of us don't though ;)

Edit: I gave up after 40 mins by the way, I reckon I'd still be on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If i want to make a payment off my credit card from my online banking, do I just amend/delete the existing one and replace it with a new one with the Avant Card number and Sort Code? I understand the MBNA one is now void so I dont want to be losing money on a dead link! If anyone has already done this can you please let me know what you called the account? The MBNA one just had your number as the name. Thanks.

Already answered in the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83762795&postcount=155

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

saskwatch wrote: »
    he also says they couldn't foresee what happened.

They've had to be kidding themselves! Most of big changeovers do not go smoothly, they've got crap website, crap go-live support, got themselves caught with the pants down, and they could not foresee this. Give me a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

Yeah this still feels like an import issue or something else - not a load issue unless there's a bunch of you also on at 5.30am trying to register ;). So either its a data issue, or some accounts are in some sort of corrupted / screwed up state which is why we cant register.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the reps - who are getting the abuse and needing to work with the system. I've no idea about the IT staff - which is basically where all the problems are. The registration form this morning has taken away the telephone number field. Like others have said I have serious concerns about the safety of the infrastructure surrounding this service - I hope everyone is using a unique password for this site! And yeah management has been incredibly poor, especially in getting any sort of messaging out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think they must be taking some the feedback on board:
    We are currently experiencing a very high number of customer calls on our customer service phone lines. We apologise for the inconvenience that extended wait times have caused. We will provide updates on this website from time to time

And now when i log in it says 'the page is not available at this time'. I can only imagine the stressed heads of the agents in Leitrim!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

After trying and trying and trying for the last two days, I finally got in and registered.

Wow, what a pathetic system and process. How could they not have known there would be issues? Surely they had data from MBNA as to how many customers use the online system and how many cards are registered online? Surely they had stats on the volume of online traffic the MBNA site was getting? Surely the site was fully tested before it went live?

I work in IT and if we allowed something like that to go live, we'd be looking for new jobs now.

Poor management, poor testing, poor backup system and most of all ... those poor reps on the phone dealing with all the complaints because of bad planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Rang them just after 8, was only on hold for 5 minutes, I explained that I cannot register on the website because I no longer have an actual credit card so although I have the card number there is no expiry date etc., they told me I will never be able to register on the website so :eek:

But on a brighter note they took my payment over the phone so no trip to the post office for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bermo

Now you don't need to enter your phone no. at all!! They changed the registration page, but I'm still not getting anywhere.

I hope, pray, that people will cancel their accounts. This is disgraceful. If it was AIB or BOI it would be headline news because people expect more from these banks. But people should expect the same from any financial institution in this country, they are all regulated by the same financial regulator/central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

So the payment I made from my aib account on Tuesday morning has cleared on my credit card...checked my balance on the helpline - I had used the old old mbna card number I had received years ago (and has since changed) so was worried it wouldn't...relief now that it has. I think another poster was in the same boat so hope that helps

Think I'll leave off for a few days now, can't register cos card is inactive still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So I'm up an running fully now.

a.) online banking is working (internet explorer 7 mode)
    b.) 3D security is working
    c.) Payment via their online banking taken from my visa debit card and credited (to avoid the hassle of transferring from my bank).
    d.) Card works fine in use (since I registered for online banking)

Yes the online banking is bad but if you look at avantcard.es you can see that once it's fully deployed it will have all that one needs. Still better than Tesco's non existing online banking ;-)

Let's see how this develops, I agree that it should not have been this bad, but they are making progress and I quite like card because of the high limit (I travel a lot and that pay back immediately) and the looks of it (it looks nicer than the new ICE card version which is plain PTSB).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Does anyone know whether the MBNA branded cheques are still accepted?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

MBNA credit card cheques haven't been issued in a while, and you haven't been able to use them either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

BuffyBot wrote: »
    MBNA credit card cheques haven't been issued in a while, and you haven't been able to use them either.

One of mine was cashed last month. I wrote it in Dec.

I still have a few of them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

Galadriel wrote: »
    Rang them just after 8, was only on hold for 5 minutes, I explained that I cannot register on the website because I no longer have an actual credit card so although I have the card number there is no expiry date etc., they told me I will never be able to register on the website so :eek:

But on a brighter note they took my payment over the phone so no trip to the post office for me!

I don't have a credit card anymore either but i noted down the credit card number, 3 digits and expiry dates etc before i destroyed. it expired last october but i've just been able to register my account online now with the details including this past expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Niece wrote: »
    So the payment I made from my aib account on Tuesday morning has cleared on my credit card...checked my balance on the helpline - I had used the old old mbna card number I had received years ago (and has since changed) so was worried it wouldn't...relief now that it has. I think another poster was in the same boat so hope that helps

Think I'll leave off for a few days now, can't register cos card is inactive still

Yep just checked mine there. Payment that i sent last week has gone through so happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mocofish7

Hi all I have spent hour trying to contact Avant.
    It will not let me sign on as Username not in accordance with their rules,
    to change this requires my current "credit limit", as I am on E statements I can not log in to look up. as I can not contact them it is just a circle (no end.)

I think time to get new credit card,

I am sure Avant will contact me when payment due,I will pay balance due , but not any interest or charges.

Well I still didn't get through so applied for a new credit card this morning with someone else. I will pay off the Avant one in bits and then cancel it in a few weeks once I don't have to spend an hour of my own time trying to access a service that's provided better elsewhere. Also, if there are small oversights in things such as phone number digits etc then who knows where else there are security oversights?

I don't think it's an IT problem, that's only part of the problem. It's a communication problem. I don't think that communication problem didn't just start when Avant went live, it probably started months ago when the service was being transitioned.

Galadriel wrote: »

Their support page says they work 8am-8pm or is that wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Their support page says they work 8am-8pm or is that wrong too?

Well I rang them just after 8am this morning and couldn't believe I got through so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Well, locked out now so I'll have to brace myself for phoning them...
    I rang them just now and got through immediately. He unblocked my card and said the website problems should be sorted over the weekend. He recommended that I wait until Monday or Tuesday before I try again. I'm a bit more hopeful after speaking to them that everything will be fine once they get these glitches sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Thanks for that update AlmostQuick, that's good to know. I'll wait until early next week before I try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Its an 0818 number so costs money to ring, can't get through despite repeated attempts. On one occasion got through to a voicemail, which was full!
    Similar lack of success online, ill try next week as suggested above, then I'm offski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Tried to register my card this morning and it worked first time. Everything seems to be fine from here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

After much frustration yesterday and two wasted 20 minute phone calls on hold, of which I had to endure the same music over and over, my account seems to be working.
    I can view everything. I transferred €500 into account from my Visa debit yesterday and it has shown as a credit on my avent card account today. I am interested to see if I can transfer another €500 shortly as I believe you are only allowed to transfer a max of €750 per month off each statement. This will mean going to the post office and the transfer will take longer. My payment due on the 2nd April so would need to get there on Monday, allowing for bank holiday etc. Hope this isn't the case as it may mean having to move card providers. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Got signed up, does that mean I have agreed to go paperless ? Confused !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement