Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence ..who pays?

• 19-02-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,
    I live in a building with two other flats, today a tv licence inspector gave me a notice saying I need to pay within 5 days, Is it the landlord or my responsibilty to pay? he pays for the cable but the tv is mine. I will only be renting for 2 more months then moving. Im guessing it might be my resonsiblty esp as im moving il probarly run in to the same problem again?
    Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anyone who has access* to the TV is responsible for paying. That means you.

* As of right, not including non-resident landlords and burgulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I thought it was whoever owned the TV, in this case the OP. When I was a landlord the agency looking after the rental told me not to leave a tv in the house as it would be my responsibility to pay the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭minnie_mouse

I thought as much..Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the landlord is providing a cable tv service is he not liable to have a licence for the property? If so why would a second licence be required?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

As everyone is saying, if you are the resident and you and your house mates are the TV watchers then you pay the licence fee..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I had to purchase one recently.

Put it like this, why would the landlord pay a TV licence for a TV he doesnt watch?

You said you will be moving in 2 months? You can change the address on the TV licence to where ever you are moving next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

dellas1979 wrote:
    Put it like this, why would the landlord pay a TV licence for a TV he doesnt watch?
    Not watching a TV is not an acceptable defence for not having a licence.

It is my understanding that if you have an active/live TV cable connection in a premises you are liable for a tv licence whether or not there is an actual tv there even if the house is empty. So I believe the landlord has some responsibilty there. When the property is not rented who is reponsible for the cable connection? The landlord?

I'm not suggesting that anyone else has no responsibility for having a licence just that the landlord also has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rules

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

A television licence is issued for one year after which it must be renewed again.

If you are aged over 70, you can receive a television licence free of charge

If you are aged over 66 and are receiving a State pension and nobody in your household is employed or receiving Jobseeker's Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance , you may be entitled to a free television licence.

If I have two television sets in my home do I need licences for them both?

If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (for example a television set or a personal computer) is held in a household (an apartment, flat or a house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

However, if the building in which the equipment is kept is sub-divided into flats or apartments or other separate living quarters, then a separate television licence must be held for each of these quarters. In other words, an individual licence must be held for each separate flat, apartment or other dwelling.

Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Moving to a new home

If you are moving house, it is possible and highly advisable to have your television licence transferred to your new address. Simply bring your existing licence to your nearest Post Office, together with evidence of your new address (that is a household utility bill or a bank statement). Staff in your Post Office will then amend the details on your record and your licence will be updated and re-issued to you. This service is free.

Television licences for holiday homes/second homes

If your holiday home/second home contains a television, or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means), then this household must also have a television licence. This is the case even if this is not your main residence and you already hold a licence for your main address. Failure to have a television licence where this is required can result in penalties.
    Moving to Ireland from another jurisdiction

It is not possible to transfer a television licence from another jurisdiction to Ireland. Television licences for Ireland can only be purchased here and are only valid here. This means that if you transfer residence from Northern Ireland or another country (either in the EU or outside the EU) you must still purchase a television licence here.

Even if you will be remaining in Ireland for a short time, you are required to have a television licence. Each licence is issued for a 1 year period; this means that if you will be staying in Ireland for less than 1 year, you must still obtain a full television licence. You cannot obtain a refund on the licence fee if you will be leaving Ireland before the licence expires.
    Penalties

Conviction for non-payment of a television licence (first offence) is a fine of 634 euro.

If you are convicted a second time for not paying your television licence, you will be fined 1,269 euro and your television and signal equipment will be confiscated.

Looks like if you are there you are paying if you are not the landlord has to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

If you are not living there, why would you pay a licence?

The landlord doesnt live there. The tenant does. He/she is renting the house.

Shur why not get the landlord to pay the gas and electricity too so you can have your nice hot shower? Would you have a problem paying for that? Well, the shower does belong to him. Or how about the rubbish charges? Shur he owns the house. He might as well pay for that too.......come on like

dellas1979 wrote:
    If you are not living there, why would you pay a licence?

The landlord doesnt live there. The tenant does. He/she is renting the house.

Shur why not get the landlord to pay the gas and electricity too so you can have your nice hot shower? Would you have a problem paying for that? Well, the shower does belong to him. Or how about the rubbish charges? Shur he owns the house. He might as well pay for that too.......come on like

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

So if the landlord has a TV in the house he must pay if its unoccupied. If it is occupied then the tenant pays as the tenenant if not wishing to pay a licence could request the removal of the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zambia232 wrote:
    So if the landlord has a TV in the house he must pay if its unoccupied. If it is occupied then the tenant pays as the tenenant if not wishing to pay a licence could request the removal of the set.
    Ideally it would state in the lease who pays for what.

Victor wrote:
    Ideally it would state in the lease who pays for what.

Agreed it shoud

Rule of thumb is whoever watches the tv pays the bill.

Advertisement