Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DS XL

• 22-06-2012 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I feel like nintendo just trolled me, and I fell for it hook line and sinker. I must have one and I can't justify why:eek:. Have I become a fanboy?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pretty cool, but while updating the hardware, why not build in the CPP?

3dsll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mr E wrote: »
    Pretty cool, but while updating the hardware, why not build in the CPP?

3dsll.jpg

Looks good, any info on a release date yet or was this just a prototype image,damn I am getting it day one.

You could probably trade in your 3DS and get it for under 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Aside from the obvious size, and button changes, apparently the battery life is better too. Not by that much though tbh. And it doesn't come with a charger. And the second slider stick add on obviously won't work with it. I'll be sticking with my normal 3DS. It fits in my pocket. The bigger one probably wouldn't!

On the screens:
    IGN wrote:
    The system's top screen is now 4.88 inches, while the lower screen is now 4.18 inches. Both screens will be 90% larger than on the original 3DS. The actual resolution on the screens is the same as the original 3DS.

[edit]
    The Japanese one won't have a charger, but the American one will, so the European one probably will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No 2nd thumb stick, so I don't really see the point. The bigger screen is certainly nice, but imho not worth an upgrade.

• Advertisement

You have to wonder how 3DS games will scale. Will they look jaggy/blurry on the bigger screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks good, any info on a release date yet or was this just a prototype image,damn I am getting it day one.

July 28th in Europe and Aug 19 in America.

Looks good. Would be tempted but I like my nice Zelda 3DS so won't be trading it in. also I usually play it in bed so wouldn't fancy trying to hold that XL the whole time.

Think the reason for not including the second pad is because it would alienate those with 1 pad. Though they will need a new version of the CPP which would leave it massive.

Also I thought the idea of having a black surround for the top screen on the 3DS was because they had to for the 3D to work better. Looks like be colour coordinated now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

The Japanese one won't have a charger, but the American one will, so the European one probably will too.

I can't understand the reasoning for not providing a charger at all. :confused:

Anyway, I'll be keeping my original 3DS. Not a chance this thing would fit in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

nintendo aren't going to alienate every one who bought a 3ds early by putting a second thumb stick on there and having games released that require it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Shocking that it still only has one stick.
    I'd also wonder how the 3D will fare on the bigger screen as there's no resolution change.
    No bundled ac adaptor for JP beggars belief as it's a handheld.
    Battery life increase isn't enough to warrant an upgrade.

You'd have to wonder, aside form the larger screen, what is the selling point here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I don't know why but I feel a bit f#*ked over :P Really want one but there's no way I can pay for another basically same handheld except a bit too large to pocket. Would the bigger screen with same resolution not ruin the graphics, especially the 3D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

The battery isn't that much increased for 3DS games and according to Nintendo Life Europe won't get a charger either. I guess they want to discourage people trading in the original version for this. It does come with a 4 gig SD card but I bet most people would like a charger instead. Not tempting for me. I remember the days when a console came with a game, now we're lucky if we get the A.C. adaptor.

Nintendo 3DS XL
    3DS software — Between 3.5hrs and 6.5hrs
    DS software — Between 6hrs and 10hrs
    Nintendo 3DS
    3DS software — Between 3hrs and 5hrs
    DS software — Between 5hrs and 8hrs.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/bigger_nintendo_3ds_console_revealed

The revision will be available in Japan on July 28th (just in time for New Super Mario Bros 2) for 18,900 Yen
    Never even heard about NSMB 2 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Really annoyed at nintendo for this, the 3DS is on the market what 15 months and now has quite honestly a bit of a pointless revision, oh and didn't they deny a nikkei report this was coming 2 weeks ago.
    Does the bottom screen still scratch the top screen a bit when it closes I wonder? I'd nearly bet it still does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

[edit]
    GTR63 wrote: »
    Does the bottom screen still scratch the top screen a bit when it closes I wonder? I'd nearly bet it still does

Shibata answered both these in the european nintendo direct video.
    No charger.
    They removed the bezel.

My first reaction was "where's the second circle pad?"
    This marks Nintendo realising hardcore gamers aren't buying many 3ds', so they're going back to the casual and older person market.

I don't feel screwed over, I've no problem with a 3DS XL...it's just, there's no selling point :confused: Ok it has bigger screens, but the software lineup still doesn't warrant dumping another two hundred quid on this. Between my launch model & one of these, that'd be €500..there seriously needs to be an incentive.

The no ac adaptor thing is mindlessly stupid, surely cost cutting hasn't got to that stage. Imagine buying one that's flat when you get it home

/\/ollog wrote: »
    This marks Nintendo realising hardcore gamers aren't buying many 3ds', so they're going back to the casual and older person market.

To be fair to 'hardcore gamers', there's still a p1ss poor lineup of hardcore titles for the 3DS. Maybe if the selection was there, it'd help.

Quite a good few decent games on the system now, but it hardly caters very well to the type of games that need two sticks really. I hate seeing the console itself take the blame for a weak software backup

these are probably just aimed at the same crowd as the DSi XL was. There was no difference between those, was there?

Quick question, if people are saying the lack of a second pad means it would be no good for FPS, then why is one of the best console FPS's on a system with only one analog stick - Goldeneye? :) I know it's easier to look around and all on a second stick, but it is just one of those things I never understood the argument for.
    In fact a way of doing a FPS could be to use the analog stick like a mouse, the ABXY as WASD and L and R as mouse buttons.

But not to sound like I'm defending the lack of a second pad. Just thinking of a way to make good use of what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I like it, big screen is big.

I do love my Aqua 3ds with my ambassador games and I will never sell it on.

But I do see myself waiting to see when NSMB2 comes out if there will be a bundle with it.
    Other than that there is no rush in getting this at all.

Cant wait to see the CPP XL lol.

Will probably look like the controller for Steel Battalion on XBox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Nollog

I like it, big screen is big.

I do love my Aqua 3ds with my ambassador games and I will never sell it on.

But I do see myself waiting to see when NSMB2 comes out if there will be a bundle with it.
    Other than that there is no rush in getting this at all.

You could transfer your ambassador games to it.

http://nollog.net/WiiU/controller.jpg
    Probably will look similar to that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Quick question, if people are saying the lack of a second pad means it would be no good for FPS, then why is one of the best console FPS's on a system with only one analog stick - Goldeneye? :) .

Because it's archaic really. Have you tried playing Goldeneye recently? The controls are not pleasant.

It also means that if a new Metroid FPS comes out on the console, it'll probably use the same controls as the ones on the DS. Using the D pad/analog stick to move and the stylus to look around. Which was not pleasant either! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    You could transfer your ambassador games to it.

http://nollog.net/WiiU/controller.jpg
    Probably will look similar to that. :p

lol, yeah the xl does look a lot like the Upad.

I did hear I can transfer my ambassador games over to another 3ds up to 5 time(dont know how true that is) but I will be holding onto my Aqua as Ninty have stopped producing the Aqua 3ds now. You can still buy it in the shops etc now but once there gone, THERE GONE!

But, as I said, I wont be rushing out to buy the XL on release, but it does looks sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

If its region free, doesn't scratch its own top screen, and comes in white over here I'm getting it in a flash. But since seeing it last night, I do wonder why they didn't just include a second circle pad just for the monster hunter fans, I mean catering to those rabbid fans will hardly hurt sales?

Also I don't like the look of the top part without black border. And I hate how the speakers look. Infact I've just realised how much nicer the 3DS design is when compared to the WiiU-like XL.

I would have much prefered a larger 3DS with the same design aesthetic, much like how the XL was just a larger DSi.

Having said all that, as someone who prefers handheld gaming over Consoles, I'm at odds with the fact that it's larger (but still portable[if you use a bag:P]) and that the 3D will look so much greater with that extra screen size:confused:

It's a portable console for the iPad generation. :p

Why the f*ck is there no charger?!! Really? Just why? Does it run on AAA's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Going to be a lot of parents bringing this back wondering where the charger is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I lost my original 3ds with ambassador account on it ages ago :( is there a way I can reactivate my ambassador account on a new 3ds

Just watched the Nintendo Direct. So I see they're selling the adaptors separately anyway. And it says on the box that it's not included. So if they don't see that on the box, the person selling it to them should be at least trying to sell the adaptor as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I lost my original 3ds with ambassador account on it ages ago :( is there a way I can reactivate my ambassador account on a new 3ds

Do you still have your original box and the receipt for the 3DS, if so get on to Nintendo and see if they are willing to help out.

Advertisement