Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet spraying water when flushing

• 09-06-2010 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have a toilet that for some reason sprays water out onto the floor when you flush it (if the lid is up).

The flushing water appears to somehow spray from under the rim out over one side of the bowl.

I tried slowing down the flow from the tank to the toilet by partially blocking the pipe, it only partially solved the problem but then the toilet wouldn't flush properly.

Unusual and messy i know.
    Anyone ever experience it?
    Any idea what might be causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thats the strangest thing I have ever heard and I am in the bathroom business 10 years+

There is always a slight mist from toilets but you should not see it. I cant even understand how its happening. can you explain whats happening

ie is the water hitting the water at the bottom of the bowl and splashing out or is one of the jets a bit wonky

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

maybe its dirt? Clean all around under the rim with an old toothbrush.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ive seen it on newer more 'upmarket' pans. My money is on a new-ish install :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Hi there.

It is actually a fairly bog standard old fashioned toilet. It is not a close-coupled type. It is a normal bowl with separate cistern mounted on the wall behind and a pipe connecting the two. It has no fancy jets or anything just a rim all round the bowl. The flush is with a handle rather than a button.
    Ironically all my other toilets are more modern close coupled type and they work fine.

The water appears to come up from under the rim (hard to believe i know) and spray out on one side. Quite a bit of water, the seat will be well wet and so will the floor.

A toiled type is a bit like the image below (only not black)
    toilet_cistern.jpg

Any help would be great.

As suggested have you though of cleaning the jets. I would use a toothbrush and lime scale remover.... clear vinager is also great. however dont use the vinager anywhere else as it breaks down silicone.

• Advertisement

Joey,
    Thanks for your help.
    I eventually solved the problem with a workaround.

I took out the toilet, checked the jets from under the rim and the back everything seemed ok.
    Cleaned everything (but not much lime scale anyway)
    Chipped off any protruding bits from the jets from it's original casting.
    Nothing helped.
    I reckoned it was coming from the centre jet so tried blocking it with silicone.
    This solved the problem, probably didn't help the flushing action but it seems fairly ok.
    Only think i can think is it was just a faulty toilet, since it is in the gaff since i bought it i dont think i have any warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have seen this a good few times with the new shires toilets if the cisterns are mounted too high it seems to happen. Spashes out to the left of the toilet I bet.

It was coming out the left hand side all right (from the point of view of someone sitting on it) but i don't think it was a shires toilet. How high should the cistern be? I don't think mine looks any higher than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

kay 9 wrote: »
    I have seen this a good few times with the new shires toilets if the cisterns are mounted too high it seems to happen. Spashes out to the left of the toilet I bet.

Sounds like this problem could be a number of things.
    Possibly a solution to this issue. Can't guarantee it would work in this case though is the There are also dye tablets available to check for cistern leaks. Simply drop into the cistern. Flush after 20 minutes, if the water turns blue you got a leak in the cistern.

Mod note: Colm while i understand your point i agree with the poster below that it is advertsing. I have removed the link. If you wish to advertise please contact adverts.ie.

While we all need to do our bit to save water.
    How is this possibly going to solve the problem.

Seems like just product promotion to me.

• Advertisement

nailer8 wrote: »

Sorry if it comes across that way to you.
    I just thought that a possible problem here is that there is too much water coming out of your cistern everytime you flush and inserting a toilet tummy would reduce the output of water when you flush by about 2 litres everytime.

nailer8 wrote: »

Your not in the industry so less water flowing to the cistern means less splashing ....

I dont endores this product.i agree its a waste of money TBH a 500ml coke bottle or 2 ltr if it can fit will do the same thing. Its simple. As there is already 2 litres in the cistern the cistern only fills with 4 ltrs instead of 6. if the adverage family toilet is actually flushed 5 times an hour for 6 hours a day. So you are saving 60 lts of water a day.

But in case i look padantic half day saving is 30 ltrs

quarter is 15 ltrs. My maths is rusty but 15 ltrs by 365 is about 5475 ltrs a year. If that is just a 500ml coke bottle that still equates to 1/4 which is 1368 ltrs a year or roughly 27 baths full

Think about it.

Your not in the industry so less water flowing to the cistern means less splashing ....

I dont endores this product.i agree its a waste of money TBH a 500ml coke bottle or 2 ltr if it can fit will do the same thing. Its simple. As there is already 2 litres in the cistern the cistern only fills with 4 ltrs instead of 6. if the adverage family toilet is actually flushed 5 times an hour for 6 hours a day. So you are saving 60 lts of water a day.

But in case i look padantic half day saving is 30 ltrs

quarter is 15 ltrs. My maths is rusty but 15 ltrs by 365 is about 5475 ltrs a year. If that is just a 500ml coke bottle that still equates to 1/4 which is 1368 ltrs a year or roughly 27 baths full

Think about it.

Point taken Joey on the link. Apologises. Meant as information but I guess since it was coming from me and I have an business interest it was inappropiate.
    Your right Im not a qualified plumber but I would imagine that if less water is coming out from the cistern then there is a good chance that the spraying problem would reduce if not be completely eliminated.
    Your also right some people use coke bottles to reduce the water flowing from cisterns, in fact some people insert bricks into their cistern would you believe! These are obivously not custom made for the purpose of reducing the water flow from your cistern.
    < Snip >. A coke bottle would be a more complex way of dealing with the issue in my opinion. If its floating around the cistern it could cause issues with the ballcock. Of course you could try to tie it somewhere. Alot of hassle though in my opinion.

please refraime from advertising.

The coke bottle does not float it displaces water. One archimedies laws in fact. Also it will not break anything because it has no weight when supported by the water.

Your free to try it. I have been doing it 5 years now. I use a 1 ltr bottle i orig tried 2 ltrs but found it took to much water.

I am not a plumber either but isn't there an adjustment on the ball cock that allows you to adjust when it shuts off the water. i.e. you can make it stop the flow at a lower level.

BTW I did try restricting the flow by partially blocking the pipe from the cystern to the bowl. It didn't improve the splashing but stopped the toilet flushing properly so didn't last long.

Advertisement