Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Planning Permission

• 29-08-2005 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just found out this morning we got refused planning permission one of the reason was we not from the area - we were hoping that with the new guidelines we would get around that one - both my boyfriend and myself have one parent who came from the area in which we were applying and it is his uncle's land. At the time we were applying we were renting short term a house in the area and had an address in the area but they said we didn't meet the requirements. So basically just wondering if it is worth our while reapplying? Anyone else get refused on this condiditon and was sucessful second time around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

7 years isnt it? thats a long time to be honest. and renting should qualify if it is 7 years or whatever it is. thats the whole point of the scheme. if u meet the guidelines (ask for a copy) appeal to an bord pleanela, good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

we were only renting for a couple of months - there goes that

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Which county council?

Offaly - its a rural area a small community with only one shop. Both myself and boyfriend are from Westmeath - though it's only five minutes away.

The three reasons were 1. not living in the area 2. not an amenity to the area 3. the house design & something about end of ribbon development. We kind of knew the house would have to be changed even though it's straight forward.

On the left hand side of our site there is a line of maybe 8 relatively recent built houses and on the right hand side of our site is a house and it would appear that the house on the right would be the last house in the ribbon - though i haven't a clue of the ribbon design thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

You could keep trying but it will take you time. They don't want you , the house and neither in the location! What are you going to argue on? It may sound harsh but you really are better thinking about going else where unless it is really where you want to live.

I didn't think it was 7 years more like 2 or 3 for residency and if you are employed locally you can apply on those grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I know an engineer (ex Bord Pleannala) that consults on planning permission appeals, so if your disputing the house design issue PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Not familiar with Offaly dev plan but many look for you to be within 4\5km from where you plan to build which I think is unfair as typically you are trying to build somewhere between both your own and your partners family and its not always the ideal to have familys focused with a few mile of each other!!!!

The ribbon thing limits the number of houses been built in one area usually 4 or 6 houses in a row maximum. If there is 8 already in a line it would be hard to get pp. I have been dealing with Co. Louth and have to say that I found the planning guy reasonable enough to deal with - remember no point in getting annoyed with them but explain your case and they may be willing to point you in the right direction.

If you dont get any joy dont rule out an appeal to Bord Pleanala but wouldn't advise threatening this to your planner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Only thing is you have to be damn quick with your appeal to an Bord Pleanala. Once the result of the application is known, (and it doesn't suit you) you'd want to be getting a wriggle on so as to get all the correct documentatoin into ABP.

I've found meself that a phonecall to ABP can be handy - there are some things that they won't overturn decisions on...

What is the zoning agricultural is it?
    really u can get planning but it will take some time as another poster said, why dont u buy the site off ur uncle and wait , rent somewhere locally in the mean time i suppose. try the an bord pleanela route first.

thanks for the feedback - I'll find out more from our Architect tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

sorry to here about your situation.

One thing that can count in your favour is if both you and your B/F are closer to where you work in your proposed house, than you currently are.

Best of luck with it regardless.

oh thats good to hear - I have just started a new job in Offaly - which will be in our favour next time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is going to sound crazy but here goes. An ex-workmate of mine is from Offally. He had a site bought and was refused planning on it first time round. He and his wife bought a mobile home and lived on the site for a year before applying again, this time successfully. It won't suit many to do this but if your heart is set on it etc. it might be worth considering. Yeah-it's crazy.

One-off housing is pretty unsustainable wrt services, transport etc. (you will get old and at some point it's likely you'll be unable to drive!) but in this case it's very strange given there's houses either side of your site already!

Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The mobile home can work sometimes but usually if it is very close to one of your parents homes and connected to the existing services of the house.

The local Authority could take the view that you are trying to blackmail them into granting you the planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

As you were going to build on your boyfriends uncles lands you should be entitled to build on it. You apply for planning on Family lands which is your BF's uncles.. Keep trying with the fcukrs! Meet the planning officer, make an appointment and go in with your architect to discusss it with the planning officer.

Draw up any necessary changes, add extra documents etc. the planner wants. meet them again with your architect and the submit the application again once the planner says ok to it.

An Board Plannea is an utter waste of time. 9 times out of 10 they will side with the county council and once they turn you down as well its almost 110% certain that you will never get planning permission there! Trust me I know... I have worked in an architects office for the last six years... I deal with Galway County Council but most County Councils are fairly similar...

murphaph wrote:

One-off housing is pretty unsustainable wrt services, transport etc. (you will get old and at some point it's likely you'll be unable to drive!) but in this case it's very strange given there's houses either side of your site already!

Good luck anyway.

yeah and so is 'lucan' and thats not one off housing tbh.

the mobile home route sounds good to me if all else fails, buy a caravan and put it on site, if the travellers can do it u can too! one rule for some people and one for others, thats this world for u, and it stinks to b honest. if u cant beat them join them, thats my advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

lomb wrote:
    yeah and so is 'lucan' and thats not one off housing tbh.
    Agreed. Sprawling suburbia is bad for all concerned, but that doesn't make one-off rural housing 'ok'.

thing is what can anyone do? prices have gone crazy and they are squeezing people for all they have if u are a paye employee. its grand if u are self employed in a successful business making 100+ but for people on normal salaries, i mean a bank cashier i was talking to today was saying she is thinking of buying in newbridge, i mean we are talking about working in clondalkin....i would have thought buying in clondalkin or lucan was the right thing to do but obviously she cant afford it.

actually the mobile caravan wont work! Your by law supposed to have planning to set one up if going to be there long term so if you do that it work in your favour when you apply for planning permission for a house! I know this cause I recently had to apply for planning permission for a caravan in a field where a lady was proposing to live! needless to say she got the planning allright but there is no gurantee you would!

MEET THE PLANNER WITH YOUR ARCHITECT! THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANCT THING YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW!

Now almost every single planning officer is a twat and doesn't know there arse from there elbow but at the end of the day if you go into them argue your points with them, listen to what they say you will have to come to some agreement with them. Make sure they put all this on file as they will forget what they said when you apply again.

You stand a better chance this way rather than loding it time and time again without ever metting them and discussing it! dont just throw it back in again. Take your time, meet the planner make any necessary deemed adjustments meet them again and they say to lodge it in then do and bobs your uncle you should get the planning permission as long as they havn't forgotten what they said or change their minds again!

STAY AWAY FROM AN BOARD PLEANNA! I could almost bet my life on they will come to the same conclusion as the Co. Co. did and that will mean you will probably NEVER EVER GET PLANNING THEN!

• Advertisement

Right I'm going to get on to the Architect to meet with the Planners. We probably will do the mobile home thing - then put our name down for a council house and say we cant afford a second hand home - which is fairness is the reason we are building because we can make our money go further by building!

I was saying that there are about 8 houses in a row - these houses would be spaced far apart - with a ribbon development is it defined by so many houses in a certin area?

edengarden wrote:
    Right I'm going to get on to the Architect to meet with the Planners. We probably will do the mobile home thing - then put our name down for a council house and say we cant afford a second hand home - which is fairness is the reason we are building because we can make our money go further by building!
    If you can afford a house you don't need to be on a council list. If you can afford a build to make your "money go further" that implies you can afford other property but will get more if you build yourself. I can get where and why you are doing it but you are still trying to cheat more than one system with what you are saying. Somepeople might have little or no sympathy for what you do now.
    edengarden wrote:
    I was saying that there are about 8 houses in a row - these houses would be spaced far apart - with a ribbon development is it defined by so many houses in a certin area?
    Ribbon development is a number of houses built along a road. They just don't want the ribbon getting any longer. It is not a clear definition the same as the difference of urban and suburban areas is not definite.

Apologise the council housing thing is a knee jerk reaction to the annoyance I am feeling at the moment. We can’t afford to buy a house in our area and feel that if we were to buy a house we would be forces to look at urban housing estates as both of us are from a small rural community we can't imagine moving to a town!

As Mick Jagger said
    "You can't always get what you want but you might just find you get what you need."
    There are lots of people not able to afford their perfect property. You might just need to accept what is going on. Buy a good property that should go up in value and sell in a few years when you might be able to afford more and hopefully your property will have out paced the market.
    Possible good properties are near any future development (rail, shops, colleges or hospital). I don't know if that helps but bear in mind you can afford a house now which is better than most. I couldn't afford my first house now let alone where I live and that is in 3 years. Waiting for planning could cost you alot. You could in theory buy a house and try to get planning while living there.

ribbon development is ususally defined as row of more than four or five houses in a row right beside each other along the road! If there is a farily big distance between them then its not really ribbon development! You need to clarify that the planning officer as to how he astertained that your house would breach their rules to ribbon development!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Hi,

Just reading through the key posts and wondering how you got on with this..

I am involved to a small degree in this area and the Local Needs issues is something that is being implemented in more and more areas. I'm not sure how it would stand up constitutionally - I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a test case is brought to the High Courts and it would be interesting to see the results..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Which planning Act ?

Acts/Laws which have not been translated into Irish, are invalid. I have a case currently running in court, that is one of my arguments. A Chief Justice said several years ago, that any such pleading would be accepted by the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭iniscealtra

You have four options

1. Stay and rent there for period needed. I think seven years was mentioned and then apply. Wait until you become local.
    2. Go to the parish you are local to, but a site and apply for planning.
    3. Go to the parish your OH is local to, buy a site and apply for planning.
    4. Looking for a house to renovate and add an extension. This does not require planning if the extension is under 40 square metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭iniscealtra

Ry

Advertisement