Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    I didn't notice I was having this problem till my fecking Web Design class was over. In my style sheets I have this bit of code:

When I go to the html page that is linked to the stylesheet, it doesn't appear, I've tried it with background-image as well and in the html page i've tried using <body style="..."> and nothing happens either. If ye have any ideas what the problem is?

might need to see a little more of your code to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I noticed he said he had <style type="text/css"> in his stylesheet. You dont put this code into your stylesheet .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Never knew that, hasn't made any difference though.

@Jflah can't really include more code as I have a load of stuff in my style sheet, everything else is working perfectly off the style sheet except for that.

@Jflah can't really include more code as I have a load of stuff in my style sheet, everything else is working perfectly off the style sheet except for that.
    It's def only something very small so , mess around with order you have the <rel> and <style> tags organised and double check that you don,t have another background color specified that you may have forgotten about

AntiRip wrote: »
    I noticed he said he had <style type="text/css"> in his stylesheet. You dont put this code into your stylesheet .
    no not in the linked one VERY well spotted I,d never have seen it

• Advertisement

I have <style type="text/css"> in my CSS page but I don't have it in the pages its linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

try looking at the css rules before the rule that is giving you a problem and see if there is an error there.
    also try putting the css through this css validator and see if it throwing any errors.

good luck

Cheers for the help guys. :)

Java CA3 in the bag went well , I think some people were a little surprised was quite a bit in our event handling , but got it all working :)

OOP1 results out. Overall very good results. Nearly over now :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering, for the people that failed the CAs overall do they have to repeat the year again as you can't repeat CAs?

Just wondering, for the people that failed the CAs overall do they have to repeat the year again as you can't repeat CAs?
    Regarding OOP1 I don,t think so I am pretty sure that you,re overall mark is what is relevant.Semester 1 a few folks I know failed project based stuff and were given another project to resubmit so I assume that's the way it works across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

JFlah wrote: »
    Regarding OOP1 I don,t think so I am pretty sure that you,re overall mark is what is relevant.Semester 1 a few folks I know failed project based stuff and were given another project to resubmit so I assume that's the way it works across the board
    That is how it works I believe, I remember last year for Digital Imaging we were told that if you had to repeat that it was one day exam. Your given a brief something on the day and you had to come up with something. Don't think I would enjoy that too much.
    I think with most subjects that dont have a FE, that you have a chance to repeat it during the summer, tbh I think that is something you would want to avoid at all costs as you wont have the same level of support from the lecturers as you would during the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Project submitted. For better or worse. I don't know, it went majorly arseways on me. If I scrape a pass for it I'll be happy.:(

I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Project submitted. For better or worse. I don't know, it went majorly arseways on me. If I scrape a pass for it I'll be happy.:(
    I,m sure it's much better than you think yourself:) very best of luck with it.

Sintel wrote: »
    That is how it works I believe, I remember last year for Digital Imaging we were told that if you had to repeat that it was one day exam. Your given a brief something on the day and you had to come up with something. Don't think I would enjoy that too much.
    I think with most subjects that dont have a FE, that you have a chance to repeat it during the summer, tbh I think that is something you would want to avoid at all costs as you wont have the same level of support from the lecturers as you would during the term.

Yeah ,having a poor level of support would be terrible in some cases!!! ;)

I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.

Well done , in ok shape overall so ?

Well done , in ok shape overall so ?

Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.

Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.
    Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days :) Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it! :(

• Advertisement

Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days :) Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it! :(

Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.

Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.

No I tried to stick with images we were given and 2 more images from the exisiting site simply to avoid the referencing and copyright issues but it looks fairly ****E tbh!! still am only aiming for an ok mark really.
    Once you have the divs etc sorted I think most of the hard work is done.... I hope anyway!!!
    One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay :))

One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay :))

I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! :) Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages :D

I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! :) Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages :D

Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.

Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.
    Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?

Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?
    Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.

Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.
    Apparently Javascript is 'OK' I,m thinking of trying to learn PHP over the summer , can,t hurt I'm thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Sintel wrote: »
    If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice I,ll try and give it a bit of time over the hols

• Advertisement

Oh god this web design is out of control. Been working on it today from 10am to 10pm, god help the crowd who only decided to start it this week.

Advertisement