Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice shoot

• 18-10-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Hi lads & lassies,

I seem to remember a discussion about a novice shoot in midlands to tutor/teach novices and give them a chance to try 600/800 and 1K.

Is there any word or anything in the pipe line???

thanks

Fish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

37 views and nothing...

well then is there anyone out there that would be interested in trying their hand at these ranges???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I would be interested!

I suppose if we got 8-10 people we could arrange something with the range...

So that's 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Would we be using our own rifles or someone else's. I would be interested in giving it a go, but I can't see my 223 reaching out that far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is a full days shooting being planned. The only issue to be ironed out is the date as there are alot of shoots planned, but rest assured that there is a day organised.

It'll include;
    • One to one tuition
    • Zeroing ay 100 yards
    • 25 yd zeroing for the distances
    • Wind calling
    • Scope adjustments
    I'll know more after the weekend, and i'll post the details when i get them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Good man Ezridax,

what would be needed??

I presume :
    1. A rifle of suitable caliber
    2. decent scope with enough zoom
    3. bipod or rest
    4. some form of shooting mat
    5. Plenty of ammo
    6. hearing protection
    7. note pad and pen for notes
    8. spotting scope???
    anything else???

would it be for members only or can you turn up and pay ??

thanks
    Fish

As said the details are not finalised and subject to change but a very rough idea of the day and equipement would be;
    • Short introductory on the basics of range protocol, and general safety. Most lads know how to conduct themselves, and have a good sense of safety however ranges have to be so cautious as you have multiple shooters in a small enough space (firing points). You will be told when and how to move firearms, when to take them out of cases, when you load, make ready, etc. (Simple clue here is the RO is GOD. Do nothing until he says so).
    • Shooters will be broken down into their respective groups. So all lads with .308s will be paired up with an FTR squad member. All others lads will be paired up with an F-Open squad member. The lads will stay with you for the duration of the day helping you in every aspect of your shooting.
    • You will fire on the 100 yards range to confirm your zero is correct. Your turrets (if possible will be zeroed).
    • You will move down to the 25 yard zero range. Here each individual will recieve the guidance they need from a squad member as to how to adjust their scope for the different distances. The squad members can also learn if your rifle is set up to cover the distances we intend to shoot. So if you have a Tikka in .243 and it can only hit the marker for 600 yards then you will fire to 600 yards.
    • Factory ammo that is known to the squad members will be fine, but any other ammo will be chrono'd so we have an exact number for velocity and can better call the adjustments needed.
    • Once all the zeroing is done we pack up and head out to the range. t will start at 600 for everyone. This will give everyone a feel for long distance shooting. Each shooter, as said, will have a squad member with them. The squad member will help the shooter understand wind, allowing for changes, adjusting their scope, waiting for th right conditions, spotting their shots, and keeping track of their scoring.
    • There will be a break for lunch.
    • At the resumption those whose rifles are capable of reaching further will be given the opportunity to go to the 800 yard firing point. Here the process will be repeated. Anyone whose rifle is not set up to reach the 800 yard mark is of course free to watch or volunteer to go to the butts. An experience in itself.
    • At the end of the shooting day, all rifles will be brought down to the 25 yard zero range and brought back down to 100 yards. This is a safety issue and you will not be allowed to leave the range until your zero card has been checked and signed by the RO both before and after shooting.
    Thats a rough idea. As said some things may change others will remain the same. There are some items you will need and others are optional. You have covered most, but i'll list them off again to make sure;
    • Rifle - Any caliber
    • Scope - Sjould be at least 16 power, but not vital. However anything under 10 power will cause problems.
    • 20 MOA base - Agin not vital so no need to go out and buy one. However if you have one and have not fitted it now would be the time. If you have oone ftted better again. This will help you to reach past 600 yards.
    • Bipod / Front rest
    • Rear bag
    • Lying down mat
    • Approx. 50 rounds of ammo, but if you have more or wish to bring more it wouldn't hurt
    • Spotting scope
    • Ear defenders. Not plugs.
    • Towel/cover incase of bad weather.
    • Gun case - Very important. No guns on the range unless cased.
    • You can bring a notepad, but its not vital if you forget. Notes will be made for you.
    • Some basic tools for basic maintenance of your rifle and scope.
    • Cleaning rod/gear - Incase its needed.
    • Lunch - :D.
    This will be intended as an Open shoot for teaching people interested in F-Class shooting so all should be welcome. again i'll have to confirm this on the weekend, but i'd say it will be. Its important that everyone bring their own rifle, license, and insurance. Some equipment may be available if people are stuck, but DO NOT rely on this. Its always better to come prepared. Be a shame to have to sit out the day because you forgot something and there wasn't one to loan to a person.

On that note lads, anyone interested in attending should either thank this post or send a PM. Squad members will have to be notified and i want to make sure we have enough squad members for shooters, and vice versa. If places fill up quick i'll post and make arrangements. I'll make sure everyone is accomodated and no-one left out. I'll throw up a reminder post the closer we get with a final "checklist", but for now whats up is a good base to work from.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Great post Ez I'm there for sure ...

I'm definitely there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Would love to sometime fire at 1km just to say I've fired a few shots out that distance. Unfortunately not going to happen when all I've got is a rimfire! (And too broke to splurge any cash on something bigger short term)

Someone at the range months ago (Maybe even over a year ago)mentioned there was talks about maybe getting a Club Gun where existing members
    might be allowed use it under supervision to be introduced and try the likes of F-class.

Anyone know if that may have been just a rumor or if there was plans to do something like this?

~B

• Advertisement

I couldn't tell you bullets.

For the moment its each shooter with their own rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Would def be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

Count me in, this sounds absolutely brill. If Carlsberg made range days ...PM sent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Great idea Ez!

BTW Is there a "minimum" calibre the lads and ladies should consider bringing along?

Obviously for anyone trying out the FTR side of things, the ol' trusty .308Win would be best - but if they don't have a .308, what would be best? In other words, if a lad has a .223 AND a .243 which should they bring along? Am I making any sense here?

Also, is there any calibre below which shooting at 600yards should not be attempted - at least, not if you want to hit ANYWHERE NEAR the 1MOA 5-Ring? (I'm guessing that .22lr won't really be allowed! ;) but anything else which should be avoided?) Or is .223 the minimum calibre which the attendees will be allowed shoot?

Thanks,

dC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

sounds like fun can i play:D

dCorbus wrote: »
    Great idea Ez!

BTW Is there a "minimum" calibre the lads and ladies should consider bringing along? ...................................................................................... Or is .223 the minimum calibre which the attendees will be allowed shoot?

Good point, and something through shooting the "usual" calibers i may have overlooked.

Basically a centrefire rifle is a requirement simply because no rimfire will give you the speeds needed to maintain a good degree of accuracy, and most will fall far short of being able to hit the mark.

In relation to the 600 yard range. Most 22 centrefire should be capable of reaching this distance. .223 is well able, however it will obviously depend on bullet choice. Thats why we have the 25 yd range. This will tell us whether a rifle is capable of reaching the distance. So if a lad has a .223, and .243/6.5/.270 then my advice would be to bring both/all rifles. Start with the one you wish to use, and if it cannot do it then you can use an alternate rifle, and the day will not be lost.

Even if a person has the appropriate caliber then i would suggest making sure to bring the appropriate TARGET ammo. If they have a supply of hunting ammo, as said, we will chrono it to see what speeds we are getting, but Target ammo is better suited due to its design, and ability to buck the wind better. So having a .223 with say 40gr BT might be great for foxes out to say 200 yards, but after 300 they may drop like a stone. I know the lads using .223 cals for FTR shooting prefer a higher grain so 90 would be ideal however 75 (being the most common higher grain factory ammo) will suffice.

The point of this is to give everyone a go at F-Class shooting, and i would hate for someone to turn up and not be able to take part or perform poorly due to inappropriate ammo and go away feeling as though its not for them. Remember that most C/F .22s will make the distance, but how well they perform is another matter.

So best advice, if you're not sure what to bring - bring everything.:D
    poulo6.5 wrote: »
    sounds like fun can i play:D

Of course, the more the merrier.

OH yeah! guys its not meant as a competition...;):D ... should be a good laugh and a lot of learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

count me in ,sounds like a great day out :D:D

ian

Done.

Finalising some details then i'll post dates, etc.

Never shot from a canoe before !!! EZ make sure its not a day like today... I know you Mod's are in tight with the big fella!!

• Advertisement

Well if it is wet we will stand over ye with umbrellas, and there'll be a full sauna service afterwards. Thought i put that up in the earlier post. :p

TBH i should have been over yesterday, but there was a recent death in the family, uncle of my mother's, so spent the day babysitting while she was away with family so i never got over. I'm heading over that direction midweek so will try and finalise the details then.

Don't worry though i'll give all those interested plenty of time to get sorted. Don't forget to bring any friends/interested parties with ya. Even for a look-see.

Can't wait for this day! Really want to make the best of it and ask as many questions as possible.

I hope there is a nice wind, around 10 mph, to really see what happens with the rounds at them ranges and the little changes that need to be made to hit the v-bull.

Also looking forward to the sauna session should make a nice place to have a chat about the day :D

Dev a 10mph wind is a calm day in Midlands :D

True :D

But it would be better than a 10mph gusting to 20mph.

We are novices so we could end up being turned off the sport before we even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

and there'll be a full sauna service afterwards.

If there is one Ifor Williams cattle trailer being used on the firing line for the tea and biscuits did ye source a second one for the sauna?

This could turn out to be a rough day in every sense of the word.:eek:

dev110 wrote: »
    Also looking forward to the sauna session should make a nice place to have a chat about the day :D
    ............ did ye source a second one for the sauna?

Just to clarify you might be thinking of something like this .................

[Embedded Image Removed]

............. when infact the best you can hope for is ..............

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0CvpLKetJsLgvrOIKM3-JOMwJ5jkyl35zbcO9brt8Ny-6kcDfYg

:D:):p:D

Thats ok I was expecting something like :

bubbling_cauldron_hc.gif

:D

Seasonal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 willcork

Hi guys
    I too would love to try this day, i'll keep an eye on the thread for dates and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

we are all keeping an eye on it.

no idea of a date yet. i have already gotten a free pass for the S.T.A.G.S shoot on the 26th and i have to apply in advance with the minister against fun ie the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

Aside from the previous STAGS competitions I have not ever shot on the windmill range.
    Should this be something I have sorted prior to attending this instruction day?

It is usually Sundays when I get down there and until I get instruction on getting the basics right I have been happy to be blissfully ignorant to the challanges to my wallet and skill level that the open ranges would bring.

Advertisement