Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

sxs

• 03-08-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

been thinking of changing my shotgun for the coming season, had the idea in my head to go semi auto but lately i have been thinking of getting a side by side, i know they arent as popular as o/u or semi but would like to try one for a season or two..

What are good makes to watch out for, any one come across good bargins lately

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

There are lots of great makes and models to chose from. I shoot a more modern sxs it is a single trigger selector zabala. A lovely gun to shoot and was reasonably priced. AYA are a great make and the no 4 is the model I would go for. An AYA no 4 boxlock ejector second hand starts at around 500 and increase depending upon condition. If you shop around you will pick up a second hand one in mint condition for under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

i have a brno sxs with double triggers and a straight english stock, great gun.
    i think they look wrong with the pistol grip stock like the o&o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

+1 for the AYA

I have an AYA no.2, 25" barrels, great for woodcock and snipe Baikel as they weigh a tonne :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

aya yeoman or no4 are great guns they handle well i find brnos etc cumbersome and the stocks are designed for lads who are 4ft high with short arms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

heres one that might suit you
    http://openseason.ie/irishguntrader/aya-no4/

i use an old double trigger BSA side by side,
    its donkeys years old, my father bought it 2nd hand about 40 years ago and gave it to me when i was 16 or 17 as he bought a beretta, personally though i prefer o/u, i shoot way better with my fathers gun, but thats purely personal, his gun just comes to my shoulder better and i prefer a single trigger, but my sbs is a very light gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i have my eye on a few sxs now, what are the advantages of double trigger over single

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

jap gt wrote: »
    i have my eye on a few sxs now, what are the advantages of double trigger over single

You get to select the barrel to use without checking where the switch on the tang is. It's a bit more instinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

going back next week to have another look at an aya i think its a no.4

just wondering if it will be hard to get used to a double trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

jap gt wrote: »
    going back next week to have another look at an aya i think its a no.4

just wondering if it will be hard to get used to a double trigger

nope, no problem at all. That's exactly the gun I use myself. Nice shotgun. You won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mate has a sxs with double trigger, there's no hassle with it, it's just as IWM says instinctive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

i have a sxs for sale, 100 its yours!!;)

WF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I have a brand new Baikal 28" it cost me €100 along with a trade in of an old O/U... It has Full and Half choke , lovely light gun except I find it fires slightly high... would'nt change it though as its great for pheasant and duck. I love it they're built to last forever, my uncle has my grandfathers gun and its over 80 years old, never ever gave him a days trouble so he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

+1 on the zabala. I have a single trigger sxs in a straight stock and love it. The multiple chokes make it very versatile and it's a dream to use. It feels much nicer than my old semi did; at least for me.

Advertisement