Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car squealing

• 02-07-2011 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have had my nissan micra for a good few years now. I dont do much driving it was not getting much use and was going great. Now its squealing like mad. My father checked the fan belt and its not that . ( he was great with cars in his day) The car squeals when I turn the steering wheel to the right especially if I have to do a full lock. Its pretty bad when you first start the car in the morning but gets better as the car warms up. On a hot day it does not squeal at all.
    My father also made me top up the power steering fluid and that made no difference. A taxi driver outside my house recently came over and said that my steering colums ( is that right ? ) needed a bit of greasing . Anyway I have to hand it in to get it done . As its a pretty good little car I dont mind spending money on it even though its 00. I would just like an idea of what it could be so that I dont look like the stupid blonde bimbo I am when it comes to cars.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

It is hard to advise something to do, just get car to garage, ask for test, find out, whats wrong, and how much to fix.
    From that what you describe, it could be power steering pump on its way out (if you have one), might power steering or alternator belt need to be adjusted, or replaced.
    Does it make sound while you are driving? does it sound, when you stay on one spot, and just turn steering wheel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Try flushing the power steering fluid all out and replace it with new stuff. Its normal for a power steering pump to squeal a bit at full lock. You say it changes as it gets warmer, thats the viscosity of the fluid changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I would think the belt driving the Power Steering pump needs tensioning or replacing. Not unusual for this to happen by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Thanks for the help people . Its good stuff. I would like to get another year out of this car if I can at all. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Let us know how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

I've a 00 micra With the exact same noise and I was told to replace the belt. I'm Think I'm gonna do it myself. By the sounds of your micra it will go another 10 yrs. They go forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

isup wrote: »
    I've a 00 micra With the exact same noise and I was told to replace the belt. I'm Think I'm gonna do it myself. By the sounds of your micra it will go another 10 yrs. They go forever

Aother 10 years would be fantastic LOL Heres hoping !!!!

Would it be cheaper for me to buy the belt myself ?? What do I ask for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MacOwen

Either the belt or the pump, you might just have to tighten the belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If it squeels when first started and on full lock then its the power steering belt. Just because the belt was tight when checked doesn't been its not worn.

Advertisement