Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berget 7 - 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Um yes, please remove them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ticket no.s edited from Doc's posts

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jinko

+1 please

also, does anyone know if jinko is from sligo??
    if so... i love that guy!
    yeah plastic its me long time no see how are ya ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

K, if anyone else needs to order armbands, heres a site i used.

http://www.vanessatreasure.co.uk/manufacturing/armbands_plain.htm

Note, Get the royal blue for nato, the colours look much brighter on the website, th navy is actually like very dark denim. the royal blue is spot on once you see them.
    I have 10 nato armbands at the moment, but we are still waiting on id numbers.

Ps i know they are 10.5 cm instead of 11, but many players had the 10cm last year and there was no issue with berget crew as they were good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Thanks Dude. Shouldn't we be doing one big order when the numbers are issued? Then we'll only have to pay one postage charge and they'll all arrive together. It'll also be easier for the supplier to process one order than 30.

I strongly recommend anyone who does order individually to get your number embroidered in black. A white number on blue will defeat whatever camo you're wearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

OzCam wrote: »
    Thanks Dude. Shouldn't we be doing one big order when the numbers are issued? Then we'll only have to pay one postage charge and they'll all arrive together. It'll also be easier for the supplier to process one order than 30.

I strongly recommend anyone who does order individually to get your number embroidered in black. A white number on blue will defeat whatever camo you're wearing.

I'd be up for that. You can add me to the list (if there is one).

When are the numbers issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I would assume myself and the other hawks would be up for something similar.

I have created a Berget 7 I company 2 Sct forum on the Hawks forums. This is to try direct the flow of data Section specific through one spot, to avoid clutter here and to avoid the onslaught of info that is the Berget forum.

Most if not all Section specific information for our section will flow through that point hopefully.

Should any other Section commander, or person at all, wish to receive access to that forum, simply PM me and I will get right on it.

MODS: This is not a pimp at our forum, it is simply we feel that it would be best to move to a more isolated place where topics do not get lost and information can be housed and retrieved quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Doc, I'd remove that list tbh. Any other team who chances upon this forum (and it's reasonable considering kjsaw did, among others) now knows the strength and general make-up of one unit within NATO, along with command structure and some support arms numbers.

meh, sounds much like the " o noes the enemy could listen in on our channel frequency"

Taken down anyway

TheDoc wrote: »
    meh, sounds much like the " o noes the enemy could listen in on our channel frequency"

Not trying to be anal dude, but it happens every year on all sides; gathering as much counter-intel as they can; dispositions, structure, maps, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

you end up with capute list which aren't good to be on. We can all see the list on the Nato fourm and thats all we need

Lemming wrote: »
    Not trying to be anal dude, but it happens every year on all sides; gathering as much counter-intel as they can; dispositions, structure, maps, etc.

Yeah, thats a fair point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i've no problem doing a batch order on the armabands, but we are running out of time. i did get some as samples so i have a few blank ones,
    it only takes a a few days for them to arrive, but i dont know how long it will take to get a dozen or 2 embroidered before they ship them. hopefully we will have the id's soon

With the right embroidery machines, about 40 minutes :) It's the setup that slows things down, not the stitching.

But I guess we're just going to have to wait for the numbers and do our best. I'll ask the guys who did the tricolour patches can they handle our order any faster.

Question.

Was in the airport yesterday and SAS told me that we have NO extra baggage weight even if we have the "sporting weapons" option.

20kg check in, 8kg hand luggage. Thats confirmed by them, the lad said that if you go to 23-24kg or so you get away with it.

They were also very casual when I asked how they get checked in, just put your rifle case on the belt and its done.

Tried to confirm from airport police but they wouldnt give me the time of day.

Any info from previous travellers would be appreciated.

But it looks solid that its literally 20kg check in 8kg carry on, and they say theres no procedure to check in airsoft equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kjsaw

Question.

Was in the airport yesterday and SAS told me that we have NO extra baggage weight even if we have the "sporting weapons" option.

20kg check in, 8kg hand luggage. Thats confirmed by them, the lad said that if you go to 23-24kg or so you get away with it.

They were also very casual when I asked how they get checked in, just put your rifle case on the belt and its done.

Tried to confirm from airport police but they wouldnt give me the time of day.

Any info from previous travellers would be appreciated.

But it looks solid that its literally 20kg check in 8kg carry on, and they say theres no procedure to check in airsoft equipment.

I'll give my experience from traveling on SAS many times with airsoft gear (but not in or out or IE).

The procedure from check-in varies from airport to airport. Generally they check you in normally and just direct you to put the rifle case or whatever you are using to transport your airsoft gun through the special baggage area for xray. In Poland they had the airport police come and examine everything, in Estonia they made me fill in a weapons declaration. In finland they and sweden its just put through special baggage with no comment.

When it comes to the luggage allowance:

Each ticket includes the base allowance for luggage. If you are in Business or Economy Extra class, or a Gold member, you also get to pack one piece of "sports equiptment" for free. I always travel with the gold card, so I have never had to deal with anything more then stated above, however I am familiar with the rules and if I understand it correctly if you pay the €20 EUR for transporting sports gear (and the 20€ counts for a single bag containing just the sports gear), the weight of this bag is paid for by the sports equipment fee.

The best thing to do is call SAS customer service and get clarification on this question (I do not know if the staff at the airport you visited and spoke to actually work for SAS or are just contracted from another airline)

Sas informed me that its 20kg total thats it. Ive paid the sporting weapons charge but according to the bloke on the phone i dont get any added weight. Its 20kg for everything checked in. Just like a normal passenger. Ill be ringing back questioning why i paid a further 20 with no benefit. As daa emplouees have told me i could have walked up on the day and declared

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hunter1100

I was about 15kg over last year and it cost nothing.

Sas informed me that its 20kg total thats it. Ive paid the sporting weapons charge but according to the bloke on the phone i dont get any added weight. Its 20kg for everything checked in. Just like a normal passenger. Ill be ringing back questioning why i paid a further 20 with no benefit. As daa emplouees have told me i could have walked up on the day and declared

That is screwed up. The wording on the website is a bit ambiguous unfortunately. I have some contacts at SAS here in Sweden, I will see if I can find out anything.

Just want to know the facts. Dont want last minute charges etc. Cause my luggage is weighing nearly 30kg.

• Advertisement

Hunter1100 wrote: »
    I was about 15kg over last year and it cost nothing.

And if you pack carefully it should is not too hard to be around 20kg (Minus gun and mags I had all my gear (including vest, sleeping bag+bedroll, 2 man tent) in an 80L duffel weighing in at less then 15kg on ryanair a few weeks back: 1set of civvies and extra BDU went in carry-on. I wore one set of my BDU pants on the flight (with a spare in the handbaggage));

- Remember they rarely weigh the hand baggage, so as long as your bag fills the dimensions they give, stuff it full of heavy things. (max out the size of this bag, I was using my 46L Raid pack in the above example)
    - Bring only the essentials, if you want to bring posing stuff, you deserve to pay excess baggage fee's
    - Consider buying BB's in stockholm or onsite (assuming berget confirm there is a shop available for such stuff onsite).
    - Wear cargo pants and a jacket with many pockets on the flight. Camera, Phone, Charger.... as much as possible can go in your pockets.

Don't rely on them to be too generous anymore, SAS is bleeding cash like all other airlines so they are pushing staff to pick up extra charges where they can.

If you are planning on bringing rations or something with you, unfortunately these are heavy, consider mailing them ahead of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conkey

Doc.. Lemming would be the man to ask. I think between the M60 and his bag combined he must have been tipping the scales at arround 40kg and I don’t think he was charge for heavy baggage.

Last year we Went to the check in desk to check in two items - One bag of sports equipment (airsoft gun) - One Bag that weighted about 25 to 30kg and no extra charge. Took both bags to the abnormal (or whatever you call it!)baggage area to be x-rayed. That was the end of it. No extra charge

The weight allowance on most flight depends on if the plane is full or not. This is what I was told by others so I could be talking out of my preverbal!:D

Conkey wrote: »
    Doc.. Lemming would be the man to ask. I think between the M60 and his bag combined he must have been tipping the scales at arround 40kg and I don’t think he was charge for heavy baggage.

My flight case with '60 alone is the better part of 20kg. On the flight back I was absolutely blessed with not getting charged about €200 there and then at checkin. The girl looked at the scales; looked at me; looked at the chart; looked back at me and then said "Ok. Don't do that next time".

It could have gone soooooo much worse. I'll be shipping BBs and picking up food seperately in Stockholm to everything else cause tbh, I I really need to push my weight limit down given what I'm carrying before my own baggage comes into it.

Kris, if you can check with your contacts about sports equipment charges (I'm sure I've seen them on the SAS site) it'd be great. As soon as I mention replica firearms/airsoft/sporting weapon I seem to get directed to this answer of getting charged for the privelege of checking in, and not any additional weight allownce considering it's a whole other piece of baggage. Which strikes me as odd. Very odd.

Lemming wrote: »
    Kris, if you can check with your contacts about sports equipment charges (I'm sure I've seen them on the SAS site) it'd be great. As soon as I mention replica firearms/airsoft/sporting weapon I seem to get directed to this answer of getting charged for the privelege of checking in, and not any additional weight allownce considering it's a whole other piece of baggage. Which strikes me as odd. Very odd.

Working on it. This is a bit of a double edged thing, In Sweden airsoft are legally toys so the weapon thing is irrelevant, what that means when you are checking in in IE is anyones guess. The website says its 20€ to weapons/golf gear/diving gear/fishing gear/ or any sporting gear less then 15kg not exceeding 1.4m in length. Weapons has an extra * on it which says " * An extra handling charge of GBP 21, DKK/NOK/SEK 250 one way shall be charged on flights to/from Scandinavia and LHR." Which obviously does not apply to you since you will not transit LHR (i hope).

My reading of the website is you get 20kg normal luggage plus your sporting item (up to 15kg). It specifically says in the bag with the sporting item you must only have the sporting item and not normal luggage, otherwise you have to pay normal excess baggage.

It also says if the sporting item exceeds the special baggage category (i.e. over 15kg) you also have to pay excess baggage, so to me that makes it clear that the 20€ fee is covering 15kg of sporting equipment in an appropriate sporting equipment bag.

I will get back with anything firm I hear via my SAS contacts.

kjsaw wrote: »
    Working on it. This is a bit of a double edged thing, In Sweden airsoft are legally toys so the weapon thing is irrelevant, what that means when you are checking in in IE is anyones guess.

Toys in Sweden, but replica firearms under ICAO rules. The extra charge is to "compensate" the airline for the extra effort in security checking imposed on the airport. It looks like a firearm, therefore you could theoretically "threaten the safety of an aircraft" with it. Therefore it is treated like a firearm, regardless of what it's made from or powered by. These rules are set by the security authorities responsible for the airports in each country and have very little to do with the individual airlines.

The extra charge for the weight is just a way of getting more money out of the customer, in return for your cheap (ha) ticket.

OzCam wrote: »
    Toys in Sweden, but replica firearms under IATA & ICAO rules. The extra charge is to "compensate" the airline for the extra effort in security checking imposed on the airport. It looks like a firearm, therefore you could theoretically "threaten the safety of an aircraft" with it. Therefore it is treated like a firearm, regardless of what it's made from or powered by. These rules are set by the security authorities responsible for the airports in each country and have very little to do with the individual airlines.

The extra charge for the weight is just a way of getting more money out of the customer, in return for your cheap (ha) ticket.

That is certainly true when they specifically state an extra charge for doing this at LHR, but otherwise not what the website says at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jinko

myself and 2 others broke our AEGs into components and packed them into a plastic container and had no problems when shipping them through dublin airport.
    also we may have been 1 or 2 kilos over the limit but they did not charge us any extra or even remark on it.

Guys appreciate the replies.

But it seems everyone says " i got away with it last year"

You can understand I do not wish to get to Dublin Airport, and be asked to pay €100+ for my over weight bag. I also do not want to get to Sweden to find my gear held up in Dublin because I had guns. I wasnt being detailed earlier because I was iphone so I will re-iterate, also after having another conversation, this time with a female with SAS airlines.

In regarding to checking in the rifle case, I've been told by SAS airlines and Dublin Aiport Authority that I simply place my bag on the belt at check in and that is it. Not told to declare, not told anything. I made abundantly clear to both people that my items look like real guns, and may cause trouble when going through should someone not informed see them. Reply was a mere " nah its grand we have real rifles going through all the time, you just throw it up there and enjoy the flight"

In relation to the charging fee for sporting equipment. This is coming from two different employees of SAS airlines.

You have 20kg check in luggage. Should the scale tip to 23kg max, you will be let away with it. However should you hit the regions of 25kg+, you will be required to pay a luggage fee of €11 per kilo you are over.

I asked " Well I booked the option of Sporting Equipment which from my reading says I have 15kg for my equipment case, so therefore I in essence have 20kg check in, then a further 15kg for my rifle case"

My response was " No sir, there seems to be a common misconception with that, when you purchase the sporting equipment charge you are making us aware that you have delicate articles in your luggage that gets flagged for the check in attendant, this is then specially tapped and special care is taken with the item and is kept seperate from other baggage"

I proceeded with " But you just said I do not have to worry bout anything when I check them in, so I could have in essence, saved my money buying sporting equipment, put my bags in unknowns to you with a rifle, and everyone would have been fine?..are you sure your 100% because I think I'm getting bogey information from you to be fair"

The conversation then dwindled and to be honest I was sick of getting ****e filled answers.

Can someone else give them a bell and see what they say...I couldn't get the time of day of the airport police who were more busy having a chat then helping me with a question relating to ****ing imitations rifles in an airport...good to see my taxpaying money going to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

Well, we will all see when there is 20-30 unhappy Airsofters standing there with gun cases and baggage! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ASI Casper

Well, when I booked my flight and added my 'speical baggage' which I paid 18E each way for, I was under the reasonable assumption that it gave me a seperate baggage allowance for my gun-case and it was due to their wording that I assumed that.
    IE - 20kg checked in normal baggage in hold + 8Kg baggage in cabin + 15Kg for special baggage.

"Sporting equipment baggage is not a part of the free baggage allowance in Economy class. This applies to both weight and piece concept."
    That's directly from the 'special baggage' jargon. And makes it pretty clear in my view.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'll be taking my 3 seperate baggage allowances, and if they try to charge me extra, I'll be refusing and arguing. If they then refuse to allow me on the flight, I'll pay the excess baggage under protest and take it up with my solicitor when I return. :)

And if you pack carefully it should is not too hard to be around 20kg
    I found it pretty difficult for Berget 5 on a Ryanair flight. And that was with no gun.
    Bear in mind that a lot of us will also be staying in Stockholm for a day or two on either side of Berget. So we'll be there for 8 days in total. That means a few extra clothing items and other supplies are, well, maybe not ESSENTIAL, but highly desirable.
    And with over 30 of us heading over from Ireland, it would be nice for a few of us to be able to take a 2nd gun as a spare for ourselves or others in our group.
    - Wear cargo pants and a jacket with many pockets on the flight. Camera, Phone, Charger.... as much as possible can go in your pockets.
    +1. I always wear some sort of cargos or combats and a softshell jacket and load the pockets up. You can carry an amazing amount of extra stuff this way.
    Another tip that may be obvious to some, but not to others for saving both space & weight is to wear your boots for the flight and keep a small pair of light shoes / trainers in your bag, not the other way around! You can change into the more comfortable footwear when you're out of the airport.
    If you are planning on bringing rations or something with you, unfortunately these are heavy, consider mailing them ahead of time?
    Kris, do you know of any decent camping / airsoft / military shops in Stockholm that do decent rations?

Advertisement