Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sauer 101 and Mauser M12

• 15-03-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

These new budget (for Sauer & Mauser!) rifles were both launched at IWA last week and will be priced around the Sako 85 level(1,500-2,000)

What do people think, there are no reviews yet but initial reports are that the Sauer looks and feel cheap, not up to the usual standard of finish.

I would personally reckon that if one is spending money in that region, a Sako 85 is the obvious choice for build quality and out of the box accuracy.

http://us.mauser-m12.com/

http://2.sauer.de/en/weapons/s-101.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I reckon you're not wrong there! If it were in the 1200 range, either would look pretty decent (though the stock on the Sauer doesn't look remotely comfortable) but when they're that much closer to the flagship models, and as you say, in the same ballpark as the Sako? No, these should ideally be Tikka competitors, and 1500+ puts them way out of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Yes that's what I'm saying and I wouldn't have the confidence which one would have in Tikka accuracy.

Even if it were as accurate, it's heavier and more expensive, and looks visibly well off the standard of the 202 in the case of the Sauer. The Mauser just looks like a slightly less finished version of the M03, which is fine and fair enough there, and might actually represent comparatively good value, but again, when you've got the Tikka there too, which will be lighter and very accurate, as well as cheaper, it's again hard to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

The mauser seems to be a no frills mo3 with out the safety system or interchangeable barrels system , but over all looks like a fine hunting rifle and def something to think about if ya were considering a sako , the 101 on the other hand seams to punching above it weight price wise you would pic up a 202 for a few quid more , that goes for the m12 too ! I think if there 1500 - 2000 and you can pic up a basic timber or syn mo3 for 2250 I'd spend the extra cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

I picked up a friends Sauer 202. Lovely rifle, slick bolt like the Tikkas and Sako's. I seen groups a different Sauer 202 done with 6.5x55 Lapua soft point and hollow point at 150 meters. 3/4 inch grouping all day which is top class. If i'd a choice i'd still stay with the Sako or Tikka. Sauer can't cycle as quick as you have to push down quite hard on the bolt to lock it into position even with no ammunition its very stiff but to pull back and forward its very smooth. Tikka and sako bolts cycle with very little effort and are very smooth too. Closest Sauer dealer to us I think is up the North at the minute. Mausers I know nothing about never took much notice on them

• Advertisement

Mauser have one of the best and smoothest action in the world from a factory gun !

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I had a look at both rifles last weekend.
    Both are built on the same new action with a few minor differences.
    Mauser has a safety that can be heard from a mile. The Sauer safety is a bit quieter.
    Biggest handycap is that the barrels are sweated in. If one has a duff barrel...that's it.
    For that reason I would not want one even if the price were much lower.
    Handling and weight was quite nice. Pity about the barrel....there's always something.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    I had a look at both rifles last weekend.
    Both are built on the same new action with a few minor differences.
    Mauser has a safety that can be heard from a mile. The Sauer safety is a bit quieter.
    Biggest handycap is that the barrels are sweated in. If one has a duff barrel...that's it.
    For that reason I would not want one even if the price were much lower.
    Handling and weight was quite nice. Pity about the barrel....there's always something.
    edi
    Nice to hear from someone that has seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

4200fps wrote: »
    Closest Sauer dealer to us I think is up the North at the minute. Mausers I know nothing about never took much notice on them
    Griffin hawe in athy used to be a sauer dealer and still is as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

you must all be working for nama to be able to afford 2k rifles to drag through ditches and across hillsides just to shoot deer. half the gamekeepers inn scotland use cz/brno's and they knock more deer then all of us on here combined.

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    you must all be working for nama to be able to afford 2k rifles to drag through ditches and across hillsides just to shoot deer. half the gamekeepers inn scotland use cz/brno's and they knock more deer then all of us on here combined.

Ah lad where you living ! I shoot my deer from the balcony of my house that I took a 500000 mortgage out for , while I'm waiting for my Landrover to be warmed up , and breakfast to be served on a silver platter !

, were just making the case that these are ment to be competition for sako and tikka
    Guns that are affordable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Ah lad where you living ! I shoot my deer from the balcony of my house that I took a 500000 mortgage out for , while I'm waiting for my Landrover to be warmed up , and breakfast to be served on a silver platter !

, were just making the case that these are ment to be competition for sako and tikka
    Guns that are affordable

i were taking the mickey :D,

http://youtu.be/DAtSw3daGoo

rowa wrote: »

i were taking the mickey :D,

http://youtu.be/DAtSw3daGoo

Haha very gud sure I know well !

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

I handled both at IWA last week and was quite impressed with the Mauser, handles well and had a really nice stock and trigger. The sauer was disappointing and didn't have the same classy feel as other sauers..

Also noticed a very nice trigger on both.
    Plastic stocks similar to stiffnes of T3 Lite.
    edi

Edi, did you see this new Browning Maral? It's halfway between a straight pull and a semi-auto. You have to pull the bolt back to eject the round, but then you let go and it's sprung to feed the next one, letting you get back on the trigger faster. It's a tad ugly, but the concept is cool.

I did,
    the handle looks a bit crude. I tried it out and the clatter of the bolt flying forward made everyone on the stand turn
    around and look at me. Not sure if one can load a cartridge quietly. Then again one has to slam the blaser bolt forward hard
    to ensure everything engages. After the noise of loading a cartridge one needs fast reloading as everything is on the run.....

Can't beat a bolt action.
    edi

Wouldn't be my relatively conservative cup of tea either I must say, but it's interesting. Is it very light or something? That promo video shows the guy getting smacked around a lot shooting it.

I didn't lift it, think it was attached to a display wall. Couldn't imagine it being very light.
    Although I was two days at the show I didn't see all of the stands and only rushed through many.
    edi

Advertisement