Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES RGB cable woes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

o1s1n wrote: »
    That sounds about right, most TVs only support RGB through one scart socket, the others are composite only.

Any decent RGB scart cable will support composite too. That's why you get a lot of people plugging RGB cables into scart sockets and saying there's 'no difference' - it's purely because what they are seeing is composite.

would you think then the problem isn't the cable? could it be my SNES perhaps....don't think its the TV as it happens on 2 of them. is it possible that the cable outputs Composite alright but RGB looks bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eric90000 wrote: »
    yeah theres still a bit of noise alright.....its actually just dawned on me, this cable says it also outputs AV Composite in case your TV isn't RGB compatible....to be honest I think thats that I'm seeing. I compared it with a SNES Composite red/white/yellow jack cable and the difference is negligible, so it must be Composite I'm seeing though the RGB cable. It must be the only Scart socket that doesn't support RGB, so it outputs in Composite. when I plug it back into another Scart it immediately looks clearer and more defined but the annoying moire stitch pattern comes back.

at this stage though I'm not bothered trying to find an old gamecube cable (which are like 60 pounds on ebay!?!). Composite looks decent enough.

When you said you used the VCR scart, I kinda thought alright that you were just getting composite. Most tv will label their scarts as 1) RGB, & then 2) Is just a bog standard VCR one.

I'd lay odds that the cable is defective & there's a problem with the rgb in it. That would explain the noise your getting & the way the picture gets better when using the VCR scart.

Stick with it, RGB walks all over composite. Send him the cable back & get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

would you think then the problem isn't the cable? could it be my SNES perhaps....don't think its the TV as it happens on 2 of them. is it possible that the cable outputs Composite alright but RGB looks bad?

Well like that broken Snes I mentioned before, it had the same stitched effect you're seeing and that was the console itself and not the cable.

I've never had a cable from Consolegoodsuk arrive defective, and I bought a ton of them.

The only way to be 100% sure is to wait for that new Snes you have coming and try the cable with that.

so have your SNES RGB cables from consolegoodsuk worked perfectly? I'm also looking to get an RGB cable for my sega megadrive II, any experience with this?

yeah I'll try it out on the new SNES before I do anything, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!

Master of the Universe

I reckon I've pretty much bought every RGB scart cable with consolegoodsuk have! The only one I didn't get from them was for the Atari Jaguar, but it's only because they were sold out of them.

All of them have worked. That's probably in the region of 10-15 cables. Maybe more, I've lost count at this point.

If you're getting a Megadrive II cable, just make sure you don't accidentally buy a Megadrive I cable. It's one case where they're different sizes and specific to each version of the console.

• Advertisement

so have your SNES RGB cables from consolegoodsuk worked perfectly? I'm also looking to get an RGB cable for my sega megadrive II, any experience with this?

yeah I'll try it out on the new SNES before I do anything, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!

I looked back on my eBay purchase history. Turns out I got my dud cable from them too.

Karsini wrote: »
    I looked back on my eBay purchase history. Turns out I got my dud cable from them too.

not looking good for the cable so. I'll give it a bash on the new SNES, probably will be the same though. where did you get your official gamecube RGB as a matter of interest?

where did you get your official gamecube RGB as a matter of interest?

I got it from an Amazon Marketplace reseller (sweetii_cubes). Set me back £31 at the time but I considered it to be worth it after the last one.

Master of the Universe

If it does turn out to be the cable rather than your Snes, there's still no need to go and spend £31 on one. €37 for an RGB cable is ridiculously expensive.

An RGB Snes cable should not cost you more than €15 delivered, max. Anything more is a waste of money. They all do exactly the same thing.

Your priority should be to get a working one, not an expensive one :D

just recieved a sega megadrive II RGB cable today that i bought off the net. I have to say it looks pretty good! very defined and vibrant.

still havent received the new multi-region snes I got on ebay....there was a big mixup but its in the post at the moment. I have a feeling the RGB snes cable will still look pretty bad on the new one. anyone have any advice on where to get one that works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 soopx

Hey guys. I'm having the exact same problem here. I bought this cable:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220939681083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and initially it didn't work, but I found out you can just remove some of the caps in the SCART socket and re-solder the wires, and it works.

TBH, it's been a bit weird, because I tried it on my Sony TV, and both channels look really "stitched together", so I thought maybe this TV has no RGB SCART. Then I tried both sockets on my LG, one stitched, one not, and the one which isn't is CLEARLY composite.

So my Sony has 2 RGB channels, and they both look like ass.

I'm gonna talk to a guy who may be able to help, I'll let you know the outcome if I hear anything

Sounds exactly the same as what I was having. It seems to me that some of the third party cables aren't shielded properly.

It's not true that all cables do the same thing, at least on SCART anyway. While cable quality makes zero difference on HDMI or DVI, it does matter on analogue signals. I don't know how many SCART cables I've seen where another channel is ghosting through the picture due to crosstalk on the SCART cable.

I got that new SNES in the end, tried the RGB cable on it and the same problem is still there, that pattern accross the screen. very annoying.

Also the Sega Megadrive II RGB cable I got produces perfect picture, but pretty bad humming when there is bright white on the screen, not noticeable with the background music but its a pity!

Sounds exactly the same as what I was having. It seems to me that some of the third party cables aren't shielded properly.

It's not true that all cables do the same thing, at least on SCART anyway. While cable quality makes zero difference on HDMI or DVI, it does matter on analogue signals. I don't know how many SCART cables I've seen where another channel is ghosting through the picture due to crosstalk on the SCART cable.

I hear ya, but I don't think it's that. The colours are actually really defined, butit's the blockiness that's the problem. I'm surprised this isn't well documented, it must have happened before now.

Well I found the pinouts: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#snes And soldered 4 75 ohm resistors on, but it hasn't made any difference.

soopx wrote: »
    I hear ya, but I don't think it's that. The colours are actually really defined, butit's the blockiness that's the problem. I'm surprised this isn't well documented, it must have happened before now.

Well I found the pinouts: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm#snes And soldered 4 75 ohm resistors on, but it hasn't made any difference.
    Adding the resistors is only to dim the picture if it is too bright, it doesn't stop the moiré patterns.

Adding the resistors is only to dim the picture if it is too bright, it doesn't stop the moiré patterns.

Well it's weird, because the resistors actually go from the RGB and composite out, to ground. So it shouldn't (and doesn't) have ANY effect on the picture as far as I can tell.

I have no idea why they're there.

Actually, saying that, the composite is jumpered to pin 20, and I have no idea what that's for

Well it's weird, because the resistors actually go from the RGB and composite out, to ground. So it shouldn't (and doesn't) have ANY effect on the picture as far as I can tell.

I have no idea why they're there.

Actually, saying that, the composite is jumpered to pin 20, and I have no idea what that's for

In my case, I put them where the capacitors were on the original cable. Without the resistors the picture was so bright I had to drop my TV's brightness down to zero but it's fine now.

Just gonna post these up for reference (here is as good as anywhere)

Composite:

2012-03-19.jpg

RGB:

2012-03-19.jpg

I guess you can see the effect most clearly on the balloon in the background, what appears as a solid colour on composite, appears... pixelated, I suppose, on the RGB.

Similar effect on the green grass on Kirby. It's noticable enough that it's not really better than composite. And I have NO idea what can cause this kind of effect.

This is the same issue other people are seeing right?

*edit* I found this too: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3859.0

He seems to suggest that this effect is a lack of contrast due to the composite signal not being grounded - but mine is grounded :/ Maybe I need to use a resistor with more resistance than 75 ohms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I got my snes rgb cable from consolegoods and it was fine if that makes any difference

A SNES RGB cable can't be great quality for £3. Also, the picture enhancing technologies of hd/lcd/plasma screens could affect the final image in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

EnterNow wrote: »
    A SNES RGB cable can't be great quality for £3. Also, the picture enhancing technologies of hd/lcd/plasma screens could affect the final image in some cases.

What specs/etc should be considered? I'm looking to get one but would want to get a decent one. this consolegoodscouk seems like the best place?

steve_r wrote: »
    What specs/etc should be considered? I'm looking to get one but would want to get a decent one. this consolegoodscouk seems like the best place?

Normally I wouldn't advocate spending over the odds for a cable, but those cheap £3 jobbies just seem flimsy & problem prone. I bought all of my RGB console cables from consolegoods & havn't had an issue, but I do run my retro consoles into a crt tv. The filtering done by modern flat panel tv's could be the issue here, & not the cables themselves.

Normally I wouldn't advocate spending over the odds for a cable, but those cheap £3 jobbies just seem flimsy & problem prone. I bought all of my RGB console cables from consolegoods & havn't had an issue, but I do run my retro consoles into a crt tv. The filtering done by modern flat panel tv's could be the issue here, & not the cables themselves.

I also bought my SNES RGB cable from consolegoods uk and I tried it on both a HDTV and a CRT tv, on 2 seperate SNES consoles. still the exact same. the cables must be pretty inconsistent in quality because a few people have the same problem. I'm guessing they're just poorly grounded/shielded as there is also a hum when ever the volume is turned up and there is a bright picture on the screen.

I also bought my SNES RGB cable from consolegoods uk and I tried it on both a HDTV and a CRT tv, on 2 seperate SNES consoles. still the exact same. the cables must be pretty inconsistent in quality because a few people have the same problem. I'm guessing they're just poorly grounded/shielded as there is also a hum when ever the volume is turned up and there is a bright picture on the screen.

Afaik they make the cables themselves, did you email consolegoods & discuss why this was the case? Had the crt you used got a full RGB scart socket, & not just the AV type?

Afaik they make the cables themselves, did you email consolegoods & discuss why this was the case? Had the crt you used got a full RGB scart socket, & not just the AV type?

yeah I contacted him about it, he asked me to send it back and he would look at it but to be honest it wasn't worth the hassle of paying for postage etc seen as the cable was less than a tenner.

the HDTV has one RGB socket, pattern on screen was all messed up, looked over-pixelated with moire patterns. tried on CRT tv which has 3 scart sockets, 2 of which are RGB....looks the same bad image on the RGB scarts as the HDTV. I'm currently using it in the other socket which doesn't support RGB, so what I'm really seeing is Composite. the moire patterns aren't there but the picture is no where near RGB quality.

at least one or 2 other people on this thread got their cable from consolegoods and they had the same problem. I'd say buy with caution.

at least one or 2 other people on this thread got their cable from consolegoods and they had the same problem. I'd say buy with caution.

Strange one alright, the thing is where else do you shop without running into the same issue? If a cable is defective your always gonna be faced with the question of if its worth returning it.

Maybe ask consolegoods to test the cable before they send it & just buy another

I wouldn't say it "can't" be good quality. You may have a point about the flatscreens, I still haven't had a chance to try it on a CRT.

As far as the cable goes though there's not really much that would distinguish a "good" cable from a "bad" one. As far as mine are concerned, the cores look fairly thick, the insulation seems like it should be thick enough to eliminate any crosstalk.

In fact, that's almost part of the problem - the picture itself is crisp - even the artifacts themselves. I've heard back that it could be something to do with the select pin (pin 8) but I can't see how that's got anything to do with S-video. I'm gonna ask.

I wouldn't say it "can't" be good quality

It's not a blanket statement, but if your having trouble with a cheap cable, the problem is likely the cable in most cases.

It's not a blanket statement, but if your having trouble with a cheap cable, the problem is likely the cable in most cases.

Aye, you're quite right. TBH, I really want to get the bottom of this, and the easiest way might be to get a known good cable and check pinouts, cable thickness and voltages to narrow down the problem.

But I'm such a cheapskate. I didn't even pay for the cable, the guy refunded me before I found out what was causing my problem!

• Advertisement

the easiest way might be to get a known good cable and check pinouts, cable thickness and voltages to narrow down the problem.

Have you had a look at this for comparison?
    For some unknown reason the RGB output circuits differs between the NTSC and PAL consoles. As a result the cables are different too

snespal.png

snesntsc.png

Source

Advertisement