Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

dublinlady wrote: »
    Baby Aine Mary born at lunchtime weighing 6 & 1/2 pounds :) amazing experience .. Totally in love!

Ah, great news dublinlady:D. Glad all went well for you, enjoy your little woman! Love her name:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 parnellie

How far along is a good time to start buying stuff? im 21wks and finding it hard to resist especially now that i knw im havin a girl xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 netty_K

Hey Girls, congrats to ye all, exciting times ahead eh :) Just wondering if any of ye have had a 3D scan...I'm really tempted but would love some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Ivy that's brill I'm delighted that you finally have a firm end date in sight!

Are you nervous/excited? I think I would have been on tenterhooks since the show expecting things to happen at any minute!

parnellie that's lovely that you got to find out the sex! I think it's down to the individual themselves when they want to buy, there's no good or bad time as such.
    I found out the sex at 23ish weeks last time, I didn't buy a lot of stuff then, just the obligatory pink outfit to celebrate finding out the sex :)
    After that it was probably closer to the 30 week mark before I bought much more stuff.

netty-k I've a bit in 2 minds about the 3d scans. I had one at 22/23 weeks when pregnant with my daughter & it was brilliant.
    The scan was really clear & I thought it was worth every cent.

I had a scan at 28 weeks on this pregnancy and to be honest found it really disappointing. I hate saying it, but I wish I'd kept my money and spent it on something useful for the baby instead :(
    Because of the position the baby was lying in (breech) it took a good 30 mins to get anything close to clear footage where you could see the face.
    The bit I didn't like was that baby has his/her face nuzzled right into the placenta. So when the nurse zoomed in on the face, it looked distorted & slightly eerie looking.
    It's hard to describe, but it didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling after, it left me slightly uneasy weird as that sounds!

I think if you are going to get one done, then get it done before 23/24 weeks so that baby is a bit smaller, has a bit more room to move around & you will have a better chance of seeing him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

At least it'll be over and done by thursday! Can't wait to meet him and see who he looks like and all!

Ah brillant news Ivy, can't wait to hear how you get on x
    parnellie wrote: »
    How far along is a good time to start buying stuff? im 21wks and finding it hard to resist especially now that i knw im havin a girl xxx

I bought my first thing at 5 weeks :eek: and had most of my stuff bought by 20 weeks :p
    It's completely up to you, some people are superstitious and like to wait until nearer their due dates but I found so many bargins earlier on that I couldn't pass them up, glad I did that now, with less than 6 weeks to go until I'm due to give birth I couldn't imagine having to buy everything now, wouldn't have the energy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ok so I got in touch with the gynecologist this morning, he said if I haven't had the baby by monday, I'm booked to go into the clinic on Monday evening, I'll be induced on Tuesday morning. Woop! Can't wait to get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I bought the first little outfit after finding out the sex at 22 weeks....after that bought all the stuff in pretty much one shop at about 28 weeks!have spent the time since arranging and re-arranging all his little things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 damnrain

Hey all im 19 weeks pregnant with my first child and im so scared. Its prob normal to be like this with your first baby. Im worrying about silly things like how am i gonna afford a baby it totally wasn't planned and tips or advice would be brilliant as im having a real hard time thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SEORG

Baby Killian arrived on Wednesday weighing 8lb 13 oz. Mum and baby are both doing great.

SEORG wrote: »
    Baby Killian arrived on Wednesday weighing 8lb 13 oz. Mum and baby are both doing great.

Congratulations to Mrs Seorg!!! Hope mum & baby are doing really well. Fine size baby :)

damnrain congratulations on your pregnancy! Our pregnancy was planned & there was still time's when I broke out in a cold sweat stressing about how we would afford baby, how I'd manage looking after a baby. All sort's of silly things. It is perfectly normal, just try not let it consume you.
    I reminded myself women have been having babies since time began, I wasn't the first, wouldn't be the last & that we'd manage.
    So far so good! baby is now a 2 year old toddler & no. 2 is due in a few weeks.

With regards to the money situation, a baby is definitely not as expensive as you would think.
    I've said it here before, they can be as cheap or as dear as you make them really!
    You can pay the best part of a €1000 for a shiny brand new pram/travel system with all the bell's & whistles, or you can pay €100 (or less!) for a second hand one in good condition - both will do the same thing!
    Clothe's for baby are so cheap these day's thanks to the like's of Dunnes/Penneys.
    After that if you breastfeed you have nil food costs for baby the first few months, or if you formula feed a tenner a week for a tin of food will cover it.
    Nappies/wipes about the same, less than a tenner a week.

Hope you have a happy & healthy pregnancy and can enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

Anyone going to this, got some tickets for Xmas so going to head along myself. Hard to believe I'll have my little one by then :)

http://www.pregnancyandbabyfair.ie/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

That sounds good i wouldn't mind having a look at that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

damnrain wrote: »
    Hey all im 19 weeks pregnant with my first child and im so scared. Its prob normal to be like this with your first baby. Im worrying about silly things like how am i gonna afford a baby it totally wasn't planned and tips or advice would be brilliant as im having a real hard time thanks x

Hope you're doing ok. This thread and similar ones are great for advice and support so keep checking back. There's a huge amount of information here. You should definitely check out some of the "due" threads eg Due July 2012 or start one yourself if there isn't one with the correct month for you! Then you can chat to others mums to be who are at the same stage of pregnancy as yourself and share your worries and experiences and hopefully help each other out.
    All the best xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I'm having a baby girl!!! Wooohoooo!!! She's so perfect and lovely!!!

*Loves*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Congrats :) I'm 20 weeks and I worry all the time about my little babs.. and we'd been planning and trying for ages! I worry about how we'll afford it aswell, but I'm trying to do less worrying and more enjoying of it at the moment... we're going to have little babies in July!! I worry how on earth I'm going to know what a little baby wants, how I'm going to give someone so small a bath :p

Check out adverts, donedeal or if your local area has any of those facebook buysellswap groups for baby stuff... The ones around here are full of baby stuff. Register with all the baby websites for coupons etc for nappies and stuff... it will all work out! Hope your feeling a bit better today x

5 days till due date!!!!!!

javagal wrote: »
    I'm having a baby girl!!! Wooohoooo!!! She's so perfect and lovely!!!

*Loves*

Aw wow congrats on finding out!! I'd so love to find out. I had a dream I was doing my shopping in tescoes last night & there was a guy at the till doing gender scans.
    I was queueing for ages and bursting for a wee, then when I got to the top of the queue he fecked off for his break & I woke up before he returned so I never got to find out :o

Omg pippington, I'd love to have only 5 days left. swap? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Aw wow congrats on finding out!! I'd so love to find out. I had a dream I was doing my shopping in tescoes last night & there was a guy at the till doing gender scans.
    I was queueing for ages and bursting for a wee, then when I got to the top of the queue he fecked off for his break & I woke up before he returned so I never got to find out :o

Omg pippington, I'd love to have only 5 days left. swap? :D

Haha love the zany pregnancy dreams! I had one last week where I'd had the baby and me and the other half were at home with babs and getting visitors, but kept forgetting to change the nappy cos so many people were coming to visit. At one stage a visitor mentioned that the baby's nappy 'felt a bit heavy' and we realised we hadn't changed him in three days! And cos the nappy was ultra-absorbent it just kept absorbing everything and by the time we changed it, it had swollen to the size of a tractor tyre with this dinky wee baby sitting in the middle, and I kept bursting into tears because I could remember to feed the animals every day but I kept forgetting to change my own child's nappy on a regular basis.

I may be nervous about knowing so little about being a mum but at least I know I can't possibly be THAT bad :pac:

Washing machine just ate one of the few pairs of trackie bottoms that still fit me :mad:so I'm staying in my PJs for the rest of the day in protest :p

haha nearly peed myself laughing at yer dreams..so funny! I know its great to only have 5 days left...but the last couple weeks have just dragged by...first 8 months of pregnancy are mad fast and then its like time almost stands still! I just want the baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Pop along to the July thread, we're all helping each other through all the fears and worries, what if's and OMG!s - and sharing the WOOHOO! moments too. No worries too big or too small. Honestly, it gives such peace of mind to know you are not alone (and not crazy :D)

And of course, all the lovely ladies here and on the Pregnancy Moan thread, many of whom are further along and can offer some excellent advice and reassurance. Pregnancy can be so alienating that it's wonderful to have someone to bounce things off.
    pippington wrote: »
    first 8 months of pregnancy are mad fast and then its like time almost stands still! I just want the baby!

What?!! This is fast? Dagnammit, I'll have no patience at all by the end of this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Kash wrote: »
    What?!! This is fast? Dagnammit, I'll have no patience at all by the end of this :p

Was watching Troll Hunter on the weekend & they said it in that Female Trolls have a gestation period of 10-12 years (they live to be 1000-1200 yrs old). This is fairytale Trolls, not ones that start up disruptive threads on Boards :D
    I'm 17 weeks and feel like I must have troll genes in me, I'm going to be pregnant for the next two yrs!

It's not that I'm not enjoying bits of it but I definitely feel a little held to ransom. Pregnancy really can bring out your self-centredness! I'll probably feel different when I start feeling kicks & when it's getting near the end & buying more baby stuff.

My partners mam is suggestin brandy bonk and bath....anyone know if this works? im not drinking brandy if it aint gonna do anything (think of the heartburn!!)

These are all the things that were suggested to me when I went overdue last time. I did everyone of them (not all at the one time mind :D) and still went a fortnight over! so not too convinced at their powers to bring on labour!

Drink fizzy drinks (club orange in particular apparently :confused:)
    Drink Tonic water (quinine in it is supposed to induce labour)
    Eat Pineapples (was eating fresh one's til they came out my ears!)
    Sex (yes it's sooooo much fun when you're the size of an elephant :rolleyes:)
    Warm baths
    LOTS of exercise. I had my poor husband walking with me in the pitch black up and down the field beside our house (we live in the country) it's a steep field & I would insist on doing laps of it (about the same length as a football field, though not as wide). Didn't work a bit!

One's thing that was suggested to me but I didn't try was cod liver oil. I think it just gives you really bad diahorrea (sp?) and that can induce labour.
    I have read horror stories about the diahorrea continuing into the labour itself. Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

midwife this time said, sex....its proven (how?)

and castor oil, dont even consider of it!!

never heard of cod liver oil having the same affect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    midwife this time said, sex....its proven (how?)

and castor oil, dont even consider of it!!

never heard of cod liver oil having the same affect?

Semen contains prostaglandins, hormones used in induction so it's thought that "hot sex" as my gynae put it can help to get the labour going, not sure how they actively proved it though! ;)

Semen contains prostaglandins, hormones used in induction so it's thought that "hot sex" as my gynae put it can help to get the labour going, not sure how they actively proved it though! ;)

Only hot sex works, so crap sex is out then? :D

I thought it was something to do with having an orgasm stimulating contractions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

My sis said that washing all windows at home helped her with her 1 and second ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently the sperm has to go down orally ;)

Pineapples - it's said you have to eat 7 of them to have any effect

Castor oil - just don't, tried it on number 1, led to my waters breaking but no labour, so induced the next day and had to have an emergency c section under general anesthetic because she went into severe distress.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

January wrote: »
    Apparently the sperm has to go down orally ;)

Let me guess, a male doctor came up with that one? :p

I am sooo not going to go with anything that has the potential to give you a dodgy tum, like a curry or castor oil. Baby can stay there till graduation before I'd risk making a mess on the labour table! :eek:

Advertisement