Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

EyeSight wrote: »
    wow.....

we don't know the full details but to me it seems that some workers who have been there for years and used to a certain way of doing things don't want it to change. but all companies evolve in order to increase efficiency and profits(which in some way benefits the staff). you have to evolve with the times, especially in business. would you rather the company lost money and had to let people go?

This is what it seems to be too. Tbh the voice picking system wouldn't be for me. It's boring. You are told when to go, what to to pick with little let up. However the accuracy of the picks are more efficient because you can't really pick the wrong goods.

That's if the strike is about voice picking. If its about wages, well I dont think the majority of salaried workers there got a single pay raise for years. I dont see why they would have sympathy for the pickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Daith wrote: »
    EyeSight wrote: »
    wow.....

we don't know the full details but to me it seems that some workers who have been there for years and used to a certain way of doing things don't want it to change. but all companies evolve in order to increase efficiency and profits(which in some way benefits the staff). you have to evolve with the times, especially in business. would you rather the company lost money and had to let people go?

This is what it seems to be too. Tbh the voice picking system wouldn't be for me. It's boring. You are told when to go, what to to pick with little let up. However the accuracy of the picks are more efficient because you can't really pick the wrong goods.

That's if the strike is about voice picking. If its about wages, well I dont think the majority of salaried workers there got a single pay raise for years. I dont see why they would have sympathy for the pickers.

Passing a picket is bad enough but to do the strikers jobs is disgusting.
    I wouldn't like to be working there in the future, I can just imagine the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mcko wrote: »
    Passing a picket is bad enough but to do the strikers jobs is disgusting.
    I wouldn't like to be working there in the future, I can just imagine the atmosphere.

What if they think the strikers are a bunch of overpaid ingrates and completely disagree with the strike? Anyway, judging by the dwindling numbers on the picket line (I pass daily), the strike is losing steam...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Can they just sack the workers still out on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

What if they think the strikers are a bunch of overpaid ingrates and completely disagree with the strike? Anyway, judging by the dwindling numbers on the picket line (I pass daily), the strike is losing steam...

Here, here... the bad weather today puts a smile on me!

Rather than strangely venting frustration at the non-striking workers for crossing a silly picket, these posters should instead consider venting it at the union who no doubt created this storm in a teacup.

I have been shocked by some of the stories I have heard in the past involving unions defending the indefensible - like staff being dismissed for stealing when caught red-handed etc. They're becoming an absolute joke in this country, along with a lot of other things I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MrThrifty wrote: »

Rather than strangely venting frustration at the non-striking workers for crossing a silly picket, these posters should instead consider venting it at the union who no doubt created this storm in a teacup.

I have been shocked by some of the stories I have heard in the past involving unions defending the indefensible - like staff being dismissed for stealing when caught red-handed etc. They're becoming an absolute joke in this country, along with a lot of other things I guess...

Weren't they advised not to strike by the union reps and shop stewards.

The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for in creating a generation of selfish brats who look down on men and women looking after pay and conditions.
    No worker wants to strike you don't get paid on strike.
    Just because they earn a decent wage does not mean they have to bend over backwards for the company.
    I feel sorry for society when people are glad it rains on strikers.
    Read your history workers rights had to be bought with blood in this country.
    Shame on you

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for in creating a generation of selfish brats who look down on men and women looking after pay and conditions.
    No worker wants to strike you don't get paid on strike.
    Just because they earn a decent wage does not mean they have to bend over backwards for the company.
    I feel sorry for society when people are glad it rains on strikers.
    Read your history workers rights had to be bought with blood in this country.
    Shame on you

Scabs/Selfish Brats etc, so the 900 other people in Musgraves are all these things and the 90 people outside the Gates are brilliant. I think you are one very deluded person. If anyone is selfish, I think it is the people that are putting all the musgrave employees jobs in jeopardy, the greedy people who have a decent wage and are camped outside in the rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deano30

i am workin in cork ambient 4 10 years now.we had the same problem with the company and very nearly went on strike 2.the guys in the chill are being treated like nobodys.there is a lot more 2 this strike than people think.the company hired agency workers and are paying them half of what they are paying the strikers who helped this company through out the years to make it where it is today and the management,all they can say is leave them rot out there,were getting the work done at a far cheaper price.if we as unions and people dont stand up to these bullies god help the next generation of workers.to the strikers,well done lads,stand up 4what you belive in and to the readers,this strike is not about money,voice picking or hours its about a lot of other issues 2 that im not so sure about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

deano30 wrote: »
    i am workin in cork ambient 4 10 years now.we had the same problem with the company and very nearly went on strike 2.the guys in the chill are being treated like nobodys.there is a lot more 2 this strike than people think.the company hired agency workers and are paying them half of what they are paying the strikers who helped this company through out the years to make it where it is today and the management,all they can say is leave them rot out there,were getting the work done at a far cheaper price.if we as unions and people dont stand up to these bullies god help the next generation of workers.to the strikers,well done lads,stand up 4what you belive in and to the readers,this strike is not about money,voice picking or hours its about a lot of other issues 2 that im not so sure about myself.

Question- If ambient workers support this strike, how come you aren't outside the gate with the chill workers? Don't know how these strikes work but presume you are passing pickets every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I know of another major food distribution company that has brought in the voice recognition for the warehouse and no salary increase was given and the workers are just getting on with their jobs. I think that in this day and age they should be greatful of a well paying secure job and technology that makes it easier.

Fair play to the boys and girls in BWG :D:D:D:D:D

I must agree how can you guys pass an official picket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 valmascal

This is absolutely incredible. I work in musgrave tramore road in the offices have a 4 year degree from ucc and am working with the company since 2004 and I am earning 6000 less than the average wage from
    The chill warehouse .the last pay increase I got from the company was four years ago and as part of my job since I started I have changed my work through technogical for no extra money. The chill workers should b ashamed of themselves. There are plenty friends of mine who are unemployed who would do the job for half the price. 46000 a year is well paid. Its nearly enough about them when the musgrave union drivers won't back them.

The reason the company pays you less is because they can,grow a pair of balls join a union and fight for better pay.Otherwise shut up.You may have a Degree but you know nothing about how the world works .
    It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.Barack Obama

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

valmascal wrote: »
    The reason the company pays you less is because they can,grow a pair of balls join a union and fight for better pay.Otherwise shut up.You may have a Degree but you know nothing about how the world works .
    It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.Barack Obama

Wouldnt be holding up the US as a model of social equity! Lol. Last time i was there watched men eat food from a bin in a park. Literally. As for medicare....well it makes the HSE look as effective as the Tokyo underground:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 valmascal

One only has to read MrThrifty posts on the vita cortex workers to see which side of the fence he is on and he wont have to worry about bad weather in Australia if we are to believe his other posts about his planned move there

Where I work staff have only got their benefits on the back of agreements with the union employees.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

I hear that Management have been phoning Chill workers and offering them bribes to return to work

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

valmascal wrote: »
    One only has to read MrThrifty posts on the vita cortex workers to see which side of the fence he is on and he wont have to worry about bad weather in Australia if we are to believe his other posts about his planned move there

Appreciate your digging valmacsal. So it sounds like you're suggesting I'm in the wrong because I'm on one side on the fence in relation to the two matters... seems a bit hypocritical that, given that you're no doubt on one side of the fence also!

As regards plans for Australia, don't believe everything you read but since you brought it up - yes, I'd be delighted to get away from this country and the everyday nonsense that goes on such as the strike in question. If you had read my posts with any degree of impartiality or fairness, you would have come across me stating that I do believe unions have served a useful and needed purpose in this country in the past. However, without meaning to sound condescending, the key point is that just because something was good in the past doesn't mean it's good anymore. Some people don't seem to realise how completely different working conditions and workers’ rights were in the past compared to now. Things have swung from being 100% in favour of the employer in terms of workers’ rights to heading for the other extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Douglasman80

What is quite clear is this strike doesn’t even have support with in the workers in Musgrave’s who are in the union. Every
    Truck driver who are all union members have left the depot on time to make their deliveries. In fact I believe the drivers were pissed off over the last few weeks anyway as the chill workers were on a go slow and the deliveries were going out 2-3 hours late. The ambient warehouse workers thus
    Far have not got involved. Over 20 workers have gone back in off the picket back to work. The first vote to strike was 121 in favour
    8 against, the second ballot just before the strike went roughly 70 for 40 against. I'm sure if their was a third ballot
    the workers would be gone back by now.
    It was a gamble going on strike hoping the world would fall apart if the
    workers went on strike. It’s clear now after a week the shelves are stocked the business continues. Many of the workers hired to
    Cover the striking workers are themselves unemployed and are glad for some work. If these peoples Jobs can be covered by people
    Who are trained in 1 day then that shows how replaceable these jobs are. They are well paid warehouse jobs and they should
    cop themselves on and get back to work.

If they are still able to work away despite having a few lads on the picket line would it not make more sense just to sack the lads on the outside now and be done with the troublemakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

What is quite clear is this strike doesn’t even have support with in the workers in Musgrave’s who are in the union. Every
    Truck driver who are all union members have left the depot on time to make their deliveries. In fact I believe the drivers were pissed off over the last few weeks anyway as the chill workers were on a go slow and the deliveries were going out 2-3 hours late. The ambient warehouse workers thus
    Far have not got involved. Over 20 workers have gone back in off the picket back to work. The first vote to strike was 121 in favour
    8 against, the second ballot just before the strike went roughly 70 for 40 against. I'm sure if their was a third ballot
    the workers would be gone back by now.
    It was a gamble going on strike hoping the world would fall apart if the
    workers went on strike. It’s clear now after a week the shelves are stocked the business continues. Many of the workers hired to
    Cover the striking workers are themselves unemployed and are glad for some work. If these peoples Jobs can be covered by people
    Who are trained in 1 day then that shows how replaceable these jobs are. They are well paid warehouse jobs and they should
    cop themselves on and get back to work.

Your second ever post and your second time complaining about their wages. Bitter much??? You should have applied for a job in the chill instead of the office then! Weren't there some office staff in there last week doing work? Surely they are not unemployed????

Cant be done due to employment law, but i believe a number of them could find themselves in hot water when the whole thing is over due to some texts that were sent by a small few to the workers who went back in off the picket.

Your second ever post and your second time complaining about their wages. Bitter much??? You should have applied for a job in the chill instead of the office then! Weren't there some office staff in there last week doing work? Surely they are not unemployed????

I'm talking about the new people brought in who by and large are unemployed workers, yes the chill workers are well paid for a the job they do in this day and age would you not agree ? and more luck to the chill workers to the wage they have agreed up to now, but to throw the toys out of the pram for this is incredible and both greedy and stupid.

I'm talking about the new people brought in who by and large are unemployed workers, yes the chill workers are well paid for a the job they do in this day and age would you not agree ? and more luck to the chill workers to the wage they have agreed up to now, but to throw the toys out of the pram for this is incredible and both greedy and stupid.

What would you think a good salary for a shift worker is then? Maybe if they were on Monday to Friday 9-5 then it would be a different case. The 5% increase was agreed between ICTU and IBEP under towards 2016. Musgrave MRPI claimed inability to pay. But then approached both Chill and Ambient for extraordinary demands for the 5%. The 5% is paid out over 3years. Last year office staff got an increase for nothing!

You also mentioned the drivers won't pass the pickets! Do you know how much money they're on???? Full-timers can easily clear over €1100 net a week! Do you think they're going to rock the boat?

In fairness from what you're saying your taking a Musgrave biased point of view which is acceptable because you work in the office and would not know half of the sh*t that goes on below in those warehouses. The way Musgraves have conducted themselves in both agreements with Chill and ambient has been disgusting!

Now i appreciate people are out of work and would kill for a well paid job! But these lads were there working long shifts and weekends in the boom, while Joe Plumber cleared €2000 a week and put half it up his nose!!

Never waste a good recession IBEC sure aren't they lucky to have jobs instead of standing up to Musgraves over promises broken!!

I must agree how can you guys pass an official picket

I can quite easily see how anyone with bills to pay and a mortgage might have to pass a picket out of necessity regardless of their views on the reason for the picket. Families don't feed themselves and bills don't pay themselves either.

Now i appreciate people are out of work and would kill for a well paid job! But these lads were there working long shifts and weekends in the boom, while Joe Plumber cleared €2000 a week and put half it up his nose!!
    Have you a link to back up this claim?

Show Time wrote: »
    Have you a link to back up this claim?

A link?? I lived through the boom with most of the people i know were buliders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really don't get this. Surely you go in to work, work as hard as you can, do what your told and implement whatever procedures are asked of and go home. In return for this you get paid. In this case the wages appear to be decent enough. There are plenty people would happily do the job if they don't want to.

A link?? I lived through the boom with most of the people i know were buliders!!
    So are you trying to say that all the lads in the building trade were as high as kites?

• Advertisement

............. while Joe Plumber cleared €2000 a week and put half it up his nose!!.........

What kind of a statement is that?
    For a start a plumber is a qualified tradesman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement