Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thoughts On Fixies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Maybe he hasn't tried one but i have and i think fixies are rubbish too..

Fixies = fashion statement
    Also much lower maintenance in the winter and goes better when covered in muck... Helps develop a smooth pedalling technique and a wide cadence range which transfers directly to cycling a geared bike... Forces you to power up hills. Better traction control on slippery surfaces (ice/snow) too. Perfect chainline in every gear on the bike :) And a lot of fun.

I can assure you I am very far away from fashion statement with my fixies (I have at least taken the rack of the Bowery since I got the Tricross):

th_bowery_commuter_04.jpg th_tricross_snow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

But surely the point being missed is most things are fashion statements. Why not? If you could have a nice looking shiney bike or a crappy rusty peice of crap, which one would you have? I need to wear shoes, but I'd at least try to wear fashionable ones, same goes for a bike surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

bowery_commuter_04.jpg

What's the story with the 2 balloons, I can only presume you're smuggling drugs into the country. It must have been hell crapping them out:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I love banoffee, and I don't love chocolate cake*.

Chocolate cake = fashion statement.

*I'd like to emphasise here that I do actually enjoy chocolate cake, I'm simply attempting to illustrate the idiocy of using one's own personal preference to tar all those who have a different personal preference with the same brush. Any and all offers of chocolate cake (or indeed banoffee) will be gratefully accepted.

The jury's out with me when it comes to Fixed or Freewheel*

I only once put it on fixed on my commute and on the way home got a puncture. When I fixed the puncture I put it back on freewheel by accident and have been too lazy to change it. I didn't notice much of a difference apart from having to concentrate more and I did cycle in a bit quicker that day. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my commute is a flat 20km spin.

I suppose I'll have to turn the wheel around and give it another go.

*Freewheel being the proper description...according to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »
    I'd like to emphasise here that I do actually enjoy chocolate cake, I'm simply attempting to illustrate the idiocy of using one's own personal preference to tar all those who have a different personal preference with the same brush. Any and all offers of chocolate cake (or indeed banoffee) will be gratefully accepted.

I once attempted to make a chocolate mousse cake. I followed the recepie, but it ended up looking like fresh cow-pat. It tasted great though. If an analogy is to be drawn, and I feel one should be, I would liken it to a fixie/roadie which has been dressed down to avoid the attention of thieves. In fact, it kept LDB away from it so I was able to eat the whole thing myself.

Raam wrote: »
    I once attempted to make a chocolate mousse cake. I followed the recepie, but it ended up looking like fresh cow-pat. It tasted great though. If an analogy is to be drawn, and I feel one should be, I would liken it to a fixie/roadie which has been dressed down to avoid the attention of thieves. In fact, it kept LDB away from it so I was able to eat the whole thing myself.

You'd better watch out you don't put on too much weight before the ww200!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

ah now you have to admit there are alot more freds on Singlespeed and fixie than, people who have a genuine like for them.

nothing wrong with wanting to be fashionable if it makes you happy:) but i think ALOT of the riders are style over fuction.

I can see theives targeting them, when things become popular they get robbed:mad:

each to there own but i think when i said fashion statement its abit of a loose term.

maybe "most people on singlespeed are posers"

from the ground up how much does it cost to build a proper one??, horizontal dropouts, decent wheels, chainset.?? i must say id love to build one for the craic so i can cycle one for more than 5mins and see what the big deal is. If i dont like it there seems to be a decent market to shift it on either complete or in parts.

to the lads who posted pics of their bikes, with regards to calling it a fashion statement, im more pointing towards the lads on SS with their adonised frames in really bright colours, cards stuck into the spokes, cycling around in fashionable, but the most unsuitable cycling clothing ive ever seen. You lot are more of the minority genuine bunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Halfrauds wrote: »
    ah now you have to admit there are alot more freds on Singlespeed and fixie than, people who have a genuine like for them.

Does the definition of a fred actually change by the day and person or am I way behind the times?

What do you mean by a genuine like for them? As in appreciating their aesthetic? Or can a genuine likeness only be founded on strictly functional reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Sean_K wrote: »
    Does the definition of a fred actually change by the day and person or am I way behind the times?

What do you mean by a genuine like for them? As in appreciating their aesthetic? Or can a genuine likeness only be founded on strictly functional reasons.

no you can like it for whatever reason, if it makes you horny happy days:p but IMO a genuine likeness is for the function.

well to be a fred is a poser who has all the gear but not the knowledge.:pac:

dunno your defintion, maybe hes your postman:p

• Advertisement

Well to me this sums it up pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Maybe he hasn't tried one but i have and i think fixies are rubbish too..

T

I think you can tell by the bike itself if it's a fashion statement or not. Things like the spongey thing on the top bar etc. To say that all fixie riders are doing so as a statement is retarded.

The spongey thing on the top bar also stops it getting scratched when you lock the bike up 100 times per day. Also stops you mashing your knee on cable routings assuming you're not riding a track bike. Not always a fashion statement, but yea I reckon they look good too. Best of both worlds

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pjordanoz wrote: »
    Also stops you mashing your knee on cable routings assuming you're not riding a track bike.

Because that's always happening to people.

Spend 10 hours a day 5 days a week with your bike getting on and off, weaving through traffic and you'd be surprised how often it can happen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Spend 10 hours a day 5 days a week with your bike getting on and off, weaving through traffic and you'd be surprised how often it can happen.

I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

(Yawn) change the record.

OK at the moment lots of fashionistas are into them, so what? Its still a bicycle, fixies existed long before the fashion brigade adopted them, and they'll be around long after the morons move onto something else, when they realise that an oily chain wrecks their jean legs turn-ups, and the back wheels sprays a line of mud up the back of their €250 urban outfitters cardigan.

The spongey thing on the top bar also stops it getting scratched when you lock the bike up 100 times per day. Also stops you mashing your knee on cable routings assuming you're not riding a track bike. Not always a fashion statement, but yea I reckon they look good too. Best of both worlds

Let it get scratched. Scratch the f*ck out of it...it adds character. This proves my point, especially considering all the fashionista folk who have said spongy thing are generally riding retro looking conversions anyway.

Vitamin C wrote: »
    Let it get scratched. Scratch the f*ck out of it...it adds character. This proves my point, especially considering all the fashionista folk who have said spongy thing are generally riding retro looking conversions anyway.

Scratched paint leads to rust on a steel frame. Rust is bike cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

**** that, I don't want my sexy Mercian covered in scratches or rust -there's a difference between a retro looking conversion, and an actual old frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I've ridden steel frames in all weather conditions for many, many years now and I have never had a problem with rust. Just bring it inside at night and you'll be grand.

**** that, I don't want my sexy Mercian covered in scratches or rust -there's a difference between a retro looking conversion, and an actual old frame

Are you a Mercian fan? Did you have one built for yourself? My girlfriend recently picked up an almost completely original '79 Lady Mercian for €80 in an old bike shop in Rathfarnham, it's a beauty. She's been trying to find a bit out about it but kind of gave up. The Mercian site doesn't say muh about the ladies' stuff. She's starting to get sick of I think because it's not fitted to her.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358726&highlight=Mercian

Any thoughts?

Are you a Mercian fan? Did you have one built for yourself? My girlfriend recently picked up an almost completely original '79 Lady Mercian for €80 in an old bike shop in Rathfarnham, it's a beauty. She's been trying to find a bit out about it but kind of gave up. The Mercian site doesn't say muh about the ladies' stuff. She's starting to get sick of I think because it's not fitted to her.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358726&highlight=Mercian

Any thoughts?

I most definately am a Mercian fan! Got a second hand one, but it's in immaculate condition.

The thread answers most of the questions, it looks like a Miss Mercia, but if you email them with the serial number they should be able to give you more info

I most definately am a Mercian fan! Got a second hand one, but it's in immaculate condition.

The thread answers most of the questions, it looks like a Miss Mercia, but if you email them with the serial number they should be able to give you more info

Really? That's either really good luck or a lot of patience/tenacity with searching! They are things of beauty. I'd love to be able to afford a fitted one. Some day....

I'll get her on the case with the serial. Cheers Tiny Explosions

Really? That's either really good luck or a lot of patience/tenacity with searching! They are things of beauty. I'd love to be able to afford a fitted one. Some day....

I'll get her on the case with the serial. Cheers Tiny Explosions

Pure, 100% unadulterated luck. A very happy accident -got to love the internets (and itsfixed!)

Pure, 100% unadulterated luck. A very happy accident -got to love the internets (and itsfixed!)

That's savage...all the return with none of the work. Really gotta love the internets! And fixed to boot... I'm not jealous or anything. Honest.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    What's the story with the 2 balloons, I can only presume you're smuggling drugs into the country. It must have been hell crapping them out:eek:
    The baloons are Lance Balls, little bags available from Decathlon. Handy if you want to go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jlang

blorg wrote: »
    The baloons are Lance Balls, little bags available from Decathlon. Handy if you want to go shopping.
    because they use them as currency over there?

The little balls expand into big bags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

flickerx wrote: »
    (Yawn) change the record.

OK at the moment lots of fashionistas are into them, so what? Its still a bicycle, fixies existed long before the fashion brigade adopted them, and they'll be around long after the morons move onto something else, when they realise that an oily chain wrecks their jean legs turn-ups, and the back wheels sprays a line of mud up the back of their €250 urban outfitters cardigan.

I'm sure there are some genuine fixie enthusiasts out there but i just get the impression that a lot of the people who ride them are screaming "look at me!! i'm such a purist i don't even have a freewheel or brakes..."

Advertisement