Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tappetts?

• 15-02-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering can someone help me, as im fed up going to garages and being ripped off for being a girl :(

Im driving a 2000 Seat Leon 1.4 petrol. Dream to drive! Except its started making this tapping noise.
    I cant hear it when the car is out of gear and sitting in neutral (idle)
    However, once I put it in gear and start to move and accellerate I can hear it, and its driving me frickin bonkers!

Ive had a look online and seems to be something called tappets? Which makes since considering its a tapping noise im hearing..

How does one go about fixing this.. is it expensive?? Its it a big job??

Any info ye can give me id greatly appreciate

Muchos-grasseyass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi, I was wondering can someone help me, as im fed up going to garages and being ripped off for being a girl :(

Im driving a 2000 Seat Leon 1.4 petrol. Dream to drive! Except its started making this tapping noise.
    I cant hear it when the car is out of gear and sitting in neutral (idle)
    However, once I put it in gear and start to move and accellerate I can hear it, and its driving me frickin bonkers!

Ive had a look online and seems to be something called tappets? Which makes since considering its a tapping noise im hearing..

How does one go about fixing this.. is it expensive?? Its it a big job??

Any info ye can give me id greatly appreciate

Muchos-grasseyass

First and most obvious thing....have you checked your oil level?

Tappets are only one thing which could be making noise, but, having said that, they wouldn't be quiet on idle and noise when driving.

When you are sitting at idle with no noise, press down the clutch pedal and see does the noise appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks for that, will check that all after work and get back to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KGking

the noise could be a number of things.tappets need to be readjusted after time and of corse check the oil level first,vw engines get noisey after time but i cant rally help u without hearing the noise,bring the car to some 1 u can trust to look at it first.

KGking wrote: »
    the noise could be a number of things.tappets need to be readjusted after time and of corse check the oil level first,vw engines get noisey after time but i cant rally help u without hearing the noise,bring the car to some 1 u can trust to look at it first.

Hydraulic tappets don't require adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Mech1

Longshot but anyway.

If only when moving, check your tyres for metal objects (screws etc) stuck in tread. causes a tapping noise on road as you move along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Simply replace ?

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Simply replace ?

It depends on what wrong with them and what type they are. Often they are noisy due to lack of oil supply. Either low oil or blocked/clogged oil feeds.
    The tappet its self can also become blocked or stuck, in this case you can get an oil additive designed to free them up but if it doesn't work then they may have to be replaced.

no **** thanks for that

no **** thanks for that

The VAG 1.4, that the thread is about, has hydraulic tappets:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JP 1800

As said earlier check the oil level, also when was the car last serviced, I worked on a hyundai before which had some oil starvation to the cam, when I took the cam cover off the oil inside was like mud. A good clean out and two oil flushes later and the engine was quiet again.

• Advertisement

The VAG 1.4, that the thread is about, has hydraulic tappets:rolleyes:
    your right,thats wat u wanted to hear,still doest slove this girls problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

your right,thats wat u wanted to hear,still doest slove this girls problem

Neither will your suggestion because it is totally irrelevant in this situation.

OP if the tappets are noisy in your car it will most likely be because of a lack of oil supply. You need to get an oil pressure test done ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

Does it disappear if you feather the brakes?

The noise could b any thing muppets

Advertisement