Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is too big?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

i live in barcelona at the mo. girls here are titchy. they have sizes for xxs! which is like a 4!! i was a large in bershka, a girls clothing shop, and im a size ten. apparently they got a lot of eating disorder problems over here. i can see why, i wasnt too delighted when i was asking a shop assistant for a size 10, and she smirked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

keevita wrote:
    i live in barcelona at the mo. girls here are titchy. they have sizes for xxs! which is like a 4!! i was a large in bershka, a girls clothing shop, and im a size ten. apparently they got a lot of eating disorder problems over here. i can see why, i wasnt too delighted when i was asking a shop assistant for a size 10, and she smirked.

They're not all anorexic, though! Different populations have different aveage builds. No one ever thought I was skinny in France but here, people go on about it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Zulu wrote:
    There's more to being fat that having a "round belly noticably sticking out". The pic you're talking about (of the lady wearing the bra at the top?), she was fat. When you have rolls standing up - you've got fat.

venbath.jpg

You mean that? That's fat? ****ing hell. I wasn't aware reality had been changed so heavily as for any amount of fat to make someone nearly obese.

I've every right to get pissed because I am what you would call a "fat" girl, and this kind of crap brings me down because even though I don't mind my body, I'm still not so invincibly secure as to never feel ugly because of the "common" opinion.

?action=view&current=dress1.png

I guess I'm just a fat piece of **** though. I could have sworn my slightly large nose and slightly broad shoulders were my worst features, but apparently I'm now borderline obese. Well **** me. Soon Christina Aquilera will be the line for "obese".
    And no I'm not that flat it's just a weird dress with weird lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Nah she's def not fat, actually I'd say that a real life version of that statue would be the average female, its prob actuallyy slimmer than most, all a hypothetical version of her should do is tone up a little.

Rozie wrote:
    venbath.jpg

You mean that? That's fat? ****ing hell. I wasn't aware reality had been changed so heavily as for any amount of fat to make someone nearly obese.

That's not fat! Everyone's stomach goes a bit weird in that sort of position!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Obviously a lot of fat girls on this forum...

It's always the fatties who think they aren't really fat, just "healthy" ... nonsense. Yas tell yarselves that cos yur too lazy to lose the pounds.

And these same girls are the ones to go "ohhhh my gawd ur soooo skinny loike" to girls who are a proper size.

Lose the pounds fatties! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rozie wrote:
    ?action=view&current=dress1.png

Nice! You got a Microcube! :D

Ah, good old Cubey. Excellent for when I'm too lazy to set up my Rig.

What's your rig?

chump wrote:
    Obviously a lot of fat girls on this forum...

It's always the fatties who think they aren't really fat, just "healthy" ... nonsense. Yas tell yarselves that cos yur too lazy to lose the pounds.

And these same girls are the ones to go "ohhhh my gawd ur soooo skinny loike" to girls who are a proper size.

Lose the pounds fatties! :D

Jebus - leave people be ya big troll!

• Advertisement

Lose the pounds fatties!

Aren't you an insensitive prick. Why should people who don't even know you have to shape themselves to fit your ideal? I'm for all kinds of shapes and sizes.

As for my Rig, it's something like the following:

Yamaha Pacifica 112/Roland U-20 -> Morley Classic Wah -> Zachary Vex Fuzz Factory -> Modded Nobels ODR-1 Overdrive -> ProCo Turbo RAT -> Nobels CH-D Digital Stereo Chorus -> Arion Equaliser -> Red Witch Moon Phaser -> Zoom 606 (for whammy) -> Digitech Digidelay -> Roland Microcube/Drive 300R

Powerred by a Boss power supply.

I'll take pics soon.

Rozie wrote:
    Aren't you an insensitive prick. Why should people who don't even know you have to shape themselves to fit your ideal? I'm for all kinds of shapes and sizes.

The sooner you cop onto yourself and stop giving a toss what anyone but yourself else thinks, the sooner life will be better for you.
    Rozie wrote:
    As for my Rig, it's something like the following:

Yamaha Pacifica 112/Roland U-20 -> Morley Classic Wah -> Zachary Vex Fuzz Factory -> Modded Nobels ODR-1 Overdrive -> ProCo Turbo RAT -> Nobels CH-D Digital Stereo Chorus -> Arion Equaliser -> Red Witch Moon Phaser -> Zoom 606 (for whammy) -> Digitech Digidelay -> Roland Microcube/Drive 300R

Powerred by a Boss power supply.

I'll take pics soon.

:eek:
    Jaysis! That's some signal chain! You must lose an incredible amount of tone from that. Surely you could've got yourself a far superior guitar for the price of all those effects pedals? Personally I take a less is more approach, and plug one of yonder guitars straight into Mesa Engineering's finest, or sometimes with a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal for getting seriously heavy. Hurry up and post some of those pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Rozie wrote:
    It isn't fat. I don't honestly know how you could think any amount of fat constitutes the person themselves to be labelled as "Fat". Just shows how much the media has affected you. I have more fat in my ass alone and most people I know don't consider me that fat.

But it is fat....that is exactly what it is, a build up of fatty tissue! :confused:
    Also the media affecting people argument is a bit thin (no pun intended), I know myself I dont let the media influence my opinion on people or things for that matter. I mean I dont spend my days watching Big Brother just because its all over the media and something that a lot of people are talking about, similarly I dont decide to find attractive what the latest "look" is for women either.
    Rozie wrote:
    Being closed minded is writing off anyone that doesn't fit the exact mould that society sets for them.

Did I say thin people couldn't be attractive? No. I just said it wasn't fair to write off larger women and it's mainly due to prejudice than actually not finding them attractice.

Modern society doesn't have an exact mould, only the media has, which is what you seem to think is society as a whole. You need to stop caring what the media presentation of the "perfect" woman is, and also stop caring that a lot of other people find that attractive. You need to stop caring about other peoples opinions entirely actually, maybe then you'll actually realise things aren't so depressing.
    I'm not prejudiced against anyone, male or female, fat or thin, black or white etc.... but I just dont find fat women attractive. That doesn't make me a bad person. :rolleyes:
    Rozie wrote:
    Do you even know what pictures I'm talking about...?

I'm starting to wonder, but the website you posted was definately an unattractively fat woman, and the "curvy" picture I posted was also a fat woman. Some of the art posted I wouldn't consider fat, but I wouldn't consider it part of the discussion too much either, different situation entirely!
    Rozie wrote:
    That woman you posted earlier is most certainly not fat. Full figured, yes, but fat, no. She doesn't have a round belly noticably sticking out, therefore, not fat.

She's fat. She has two(!) rolls of fat on her sides/ back as she's standing. That's pure fat. Her belly doesn't "stick out" only because she's a barrel shape all over, its still fat. As I'm not prejudiced, I could probably chat to her no problem, be nice, have a laugh, but I'd never find her physically attractive. Thats being honest, not prejudiced.

I won't have my big Amp or Keyboard unfortunately for a while, but I guess I don't use my Big Amp that often and my Keyboard isn't really that much of a part of it (Even though I use my pedals with it).

I don't loose much signal. I usually only have 3 pedals plugged in at once. You've also obviously never been to Guitargeek :P
    I just really love buyin' pedals. I could have bought a better guitar, but I get so much of my sound from effects and different types of distortion much of the time. If I bought a kick ass guitar, it wouldn't have offered me the same range of sounds. Besides, I'm getting a new geetar for christmas. Just need to find a humbucker that sounds good coil tapped.

dar83, there's a difference between not being affected by media in your opinion and actually not being... I don't think you realise that media extends more than girls mags and makeover shows.

If you've ever seen a movie or TV show with a woman in it in your life, it's affected you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Rozie wrote:
    dar83, there's a difference between not being affected by media in your opinion and actually not being... I don't think you realise that media extends more than girls mags and makeover shows.

If you've ever seen a movie or TV show with a woman in it in your life, it's affected you.

I actually agree somewhat, but it doesn't affect me (or other people) as it seems to affect you. I've tried not to make anything too personal so far, but dont you think your argument is based more on a personal grudge, rather than an objective view/ opinion.
    Seeing a woman in a movie/ tv show wont actually affect a persons perception or views on this subject, unless of course the person is viewed or portrayed in a certain light in said media, and if thats the case then its only your own fault if you base your views on that. Maybe younger people could be forgiven for using that as a base for their views, but as you get older I think your own opinion will form more itself.

On a side note, I dont mean to be a prick, but could we keep this on topic? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Rozie wrote:

I've every right to get pissed .....
    emm Rozie - re-read my post. I said: "The pic you're talking about (of the lady wearing the bra at the top?), she was fat. When you have rolls standing up - you've got fat.

Does the statue wear a bra? Is the statue standing up.
    You have no right to be pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

I don't know if this has already been said:
    I think that big is too big from the moment on a person's obesity becomes bad for the person's health.
    The same with: How thin is too thin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

simu wrote:
    They're not all anorexic, though! Different populations have different aveage builds. No one ever thought I was skinny in France but here, people go on about it all the time.
    Agree with you there. The Irish tend to be of the more stocky body type, both men and women. The thick ankled Irish women is not just a myth. They do seem to be heavier built. Just check out the Aer Lingus line in any international airport. We're easy to spot as a group :D . In France, Spain and Italy you see a lot more petite, "delicate" women. That body type is hard to find here probably due to our changing diet over the last 20 yrs(US Style). It's especially hard to find in Irish women over 25. I've seen that myself in women I knew when they were younger. They've thickened up considerably. Funny enough their mothers didn't, probably due to staying with the old meat and two veg diet. Pasta and Maccy Dee's does not a good figure make

I have to agree with Zulu. The woman in the bra posted by Rozieis carrying a fair amount of extra weight. A bit too much cushion for the pushin', if you will. Regardless of the position you take on her attractiveness, her fat is not really in doubt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Belladonna

I always was taught that when art showed a woman with a larger belly, it was a celebration of fertility, not an actual representation of what all women look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Belladonna

dar83 wrote:
    What do other people think, does this woman fit the "curvy" bracket, or is she fat?

cass01.JPG
    This woman is fat.
    Bridget Jones is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bob Bogart

i thought ye were on about tits , and my opinion on that is , the bigger the better, never heard of a belly ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

thats the girl I was talking about...

Advertisement