Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Thirdfox wrote: »
    People love the 5800... I love mine.

Having said that, as a semi-professional photographer - disappointing to see Nokia playing the megapixel camera race... 6mp is enough for A4... heck, even 3.2mp was enough for billboards/newspapers back in 2000(ish) ;) - quality not quantity!

I do agree that a 12 MP camera isn't required, especially on a handset, but all the technological advancements in mobile camera optics are being done with handsets with 8+ MP camera lenses along with additional features, e.g. Xenon flash, optical zoom, wide-aperture lenses, 720p video recording etc. As such, while a 3, 5, 6 MP lens may be more than enough for most people, the additional features just aren't being introduced on handsets with such low megapixel counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For one thing - they could decrease pixel density and improve iso (low light) performance... a 6mp (or even a good 3.2mp) will be enough to fill the computer screen, mobile screen and print to A4...and give ISO a boost of maybe 2 stops.

And if people are just uploading to facebook etc - you'd only need a 800x600 pixel picture - 0.48 megapixels...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thirdfox wrote: »
    For one thing - they could decrease pixel density and improve iso (low light) performance... a 6mp (or even a good 3.2mp) will be enough to fill the computer screen, mobile screen and print to A4...and give ISO a boost of maybe 2 stops.

And if people are just uploading to facebook etc - you'd only need a 800x600 pixel picture - 0.48 megapixels...

Agreed. But most people don't know what a pixel is! And assume more is better, so it's all marketing. People will buy a 12megapixel over a 3.2 simply because it's "bigger" even if they have no clue as to what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Was talking to someone who has a proto, apparantly its very fast and you can change the battery. There is two screws at the bottom of the phone which you can screw out and its a standard battery (similar to a BL-4C). The battery life on this proto is meant to be unbelievable ( 50 hrs music non stop). Oh, however , I should mention that if you remove the battery to change it that it will get rid of your warranty... so only do when needs be :) Also, instead of taking out the battery, you can hold a certain button for 8 seconds to reboot the phone instead of going 2 a shop/do a dodgey job yourself on it.

Hope none of this was mentioned before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The battery life bit is interesting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Same here, seems a bit odd though (standard Nokia 1200mh battery) but i'm sure with new software etc. it would enable better battery life. It's BL-4D battery BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

was actually planning to get that when it came out but after the N97 I'm scared to go near a nokia so just got a HD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Wanted to ask - so which mobile has the best camera out now?

Was about to upgrade from an N95 8GB to a Desire. But a little hesitant as I would be one to be a little snap happy so what's the verdict?

Ta!

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Wanted to ask - so which mobile has the best camera out now?

Was about to upgrade from an N95 8GB to a Desire. But a little hesitant as I would be one to be a little snap happy so what's the verdict?

Ta!

Here's the thing. There haven't been that many great camera phones released recently, so the "best" defaults back to the Samsung Pixon12 which was released last year.

After that, I would say the Sony Ericsson Vivaz would be next in terms of image quality with the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 following it. The one thing to remember about the last two handsets is that the former runs Symbian Series 60 5th Edition, while the latter uses Android 1.6 (Donut), with an update to 2.1 (Eclair) promised towards the end of the year, so your choice of handset doesn't only hinge on which is the better camera, but which mobile operating system you prefer.

With that said, you could always wait and see how the N8 stacks up, or the iPhone 4 with its new 5 MP camera, or even the much talked about Samsung M8920 with 12 MP camera, Xenon flash and 3x optical zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Many thanks for that. Will wait a while and see and have another think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Symbian^3 OS just looks so dated not to mention lacking. Saw a tech demo online of all the main features listed for Symbian^3 OS and for each and every one my Desire can do it better.

Nokia make awesome hardware but really need to pick one phone OS and focus 100% on it or just make an Android phone :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ye i agree, i know symbian really started it all, but things have moved on vastly in the last couple of years. Maemo blows it out of the water as far as i can see, and the community behind it is unstoppable. Nokia needs to pull their finger out and choose one direction to go in, and not 3+!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

In my opinion!! The n8 is an excellent phone(Hardware wise) it has alot of abilites. The problem lies in symbian!!! this is meant to be there newest symbian 3 but it looks just like 5th edition on 5800,n97/mini,x3,x6

I can't understand nokia at all!! why have meego on its way aswell if you have 2 seperate os, you can expect them both to do well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I don't understand this thing about Symbian looks so dated, what exactly are you talking about ?
    You can apply any themes you want out of hundreds of them, or go a bit deeper and play around with fancy transitions and animations such as starfields and fire.
    You can change the look completely using apps such as GDesk or Spb Mobile Shell, there's several apps available just to imitate the Iphone if that rings your bell for whatever reason.

There is incredible freedom and scope to do anything you want if you can be bothered, so I just don't get all this complaining that it's dated and limited. Quite frankly I've tried Iphones and the like and found them far more constrictive and boring.

And, tbh, I've tried all this eyecandy and usually end up going back to the default system with a few widgets and fave app shortcuts on the homescreen - I just don't need all the rest fun though it may be for a while.

As for the N8, it looks savage imo, but it's not for me because of the lack of h/w keyboard and the capacative screen. If it was resistive I'd definitely be getting one, but I'll hold out for the N900 Meego replacement in the hope that that will remain resistive and have a keyboard, and ViewRanger is ported. The N900 is already pretty much ideal for me but for the lack of Viewranger, and Ovi Maps 3 to a lesser extent. If I could have Viewranger I'd have one tomorrow and be perfectly content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Ye i agree, i know symbian really started it all, but things have moved on vastly in the last couple of years. Maemo blows it out of the water as far as i can see, and the community behind it is unstoppable. Nokia needs to pull their finger out and choose one direction to go in, and not 3+!
    Not the right argument, can't be. HTC are currently the 'hottest' manufacturers. HD2 is without doubt the best wm device ever, and very successful. Desire and EVO 4G currently rule Android, etc etc...Are you suggesting they are wrong too? Cause they are not focussed on one OS and one UI?

And that aside, what is it with Symbian's "dated" look? There's a lot more difference in appearance of, say, the e71 v the e61 than between the original iPhone and the iphone 4. Samsung's Bada looks very much like the Jet's UI. And functionality aside, without some sort of UI enhancement such as Sense all Android phones look the same. Disable the X10's Time-/Mediascape, and you may as well look at the Galaxy spica. 90% of people wouldn't know if they hold an iphone 2g or 3G S.

The prob with Nokia's n-series phones was a lack of wooom... when live widgets are the big eyecandy, you cannot deliver so little ram and mhz...
    If you offer storage for 5000+ songs, the phone shouldn't slow down/freeze everytime you wanna compile a playlist.
    I have run SPB's Mobile Shell on 5 year old Ubiquios with 220mhz processors and it was a joy. Nokia's N-series devices are the first of dozens of phones I tried it on that struggel.
    In comparison: on HTC's HD2 Mobile Shell actually uses 30% fewer resources than HTC's own UI, Sense 2.5...that aside, many current wm users prefer the bog-standard wm ui that was around before s60 2nd. Taste.

Unlike with the iPhone, Android and S60 and wm at least let you play with appearances without voiding your warranty.

That said: the N8 isn't even out yet or did I miss something?

strecker wrote: »
    Not the right argument, can't be. HTC are currently the 'hottest' manufacturers. HD2 is without doubt the best wm device ever, and very successful. Desire and EVO 4G currently rule Android, etc etc...Are you suggesting they are wrong too? Cause they are not focussed on one OS and one UI?

HTC don't own the various OS systems they use on their phones tho so can always jump on the latest one as the market demands and it's much easier and faster to upgrade Sense UI for Android or WM than have to update the entire phone OS.

Nokia currently support S40, S60, Maemo, Symbian^3 and are working on MeeGo as well. This is way to many OS systems for only one company to support so why should developers support all those instead of just writing app's for Android, iOS4 or WM and have a much higher return rate. This causes huge delays in phone firmware updates as well and that = unhappy consumers.

You can look at any Nokia support forum or the OVI store to see the very low amount of app's and how unhappy customers are about this.

As for Symbian^3 looking dated, just check out ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rd3TD9g_Y

and tell me that doesn't look clunky! Symbian^3 looks to offer nothing new over current phone OS's and for an OS that not due out till the end of the year that's pretty bad when compared to how sleek Android looks atm and WM 7 having the really different looking vibe to it. I do agree tho that iOS4 needs to be given a overhaul tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Nokia don't just sell expensive smartphones in Europe, a huge section of their market is for very cheap phones in Africa and Asia. Are you saying they should abandon this market entirely ?

As for Symbian ^3 being dated, I'm afraid I still don't see what's wrong with it ? Clunky ? That's just an eye of the beholder attitude talking about a default theme. Stock Android is boring too, are you talking about the tarted up versions? So why compare them with stock Symbian when you can tart that up just as much if not more ? The Iphone ui is most boring of all with it's basic icon grid.

If you don't like it just change it, it's not difficult - install a theme, install GDesk and make it look like a Microsoft Windows 7 desktop if you want, or one of dozens of other styles, or just create your own. Install SPB Mobile Shell, etc etc. Install Kastor UI Effects, I'm just not getting your point, I don't see it as clunky, and it's easily changed if you don't like it :confused:

As for features, Symbian is way ahead in a lot of ways and others are still catching up. WM7 won't even have multitasking, what do I care about how shiney or sleek it looks which basic functionality isn't even there and it's locked down like a mad thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Venom wrote: »
    HTC don't own the various OS systems they use on their phones tho so can always jump on the latest one as the market demands and it's much easier and faster to upgrade Sense UI for Android or WM than have to update the entire phone OS.

Nokia currently support S40, S60, Maemo, Symbian^3 and are working on MeeGo as well. This is way to many OS systems for only one company to support so why should developers support all those instead of just writing app's for Android, iOS4 or WM and have a much higher return rate. This causes huge delays in phone firmware updates as well and that = unhappy consumers.

You can look at any Nokia support forum or the OVI store to see the very low amount of app's and how unhappy customers are about this.

As for Symbian^3 looking dated, just check out ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rd3TD9g_Y

and tell me that doesn't look clunky! Symbian^3 looks to offer nothing new over current phone OS's and for an OS that not due out till the end of the year that's pretty bad when compared to how sleek Android looks atm and WM 7 having the really different looking vibe to it. I do agree tho that iOS4 needs to be given a overhaul tho.
    So, now it's about apps? And Android looks "sleek"? Surely not unskinned vanilla?

This is obviously not going anywhere. I, btw, consider Nokia's N-series to date a disaster (N900 excluded). I consider the E72 an upgrade merely the e63, not the 71. I'm not a s60 fanboy. But to support criticism of one OS, talking nonsense about another is not helpful.

And: if it's oh so easy for HTC to use wm and skin it, why the X1 disaster? Or why Samsung's original Omnia fail? While arguably 2 of the best S60 devices were made by Samsung... You don't "like" - say so. We all like and don't like. Don't act as if you're disseminating unbiased 'fact'. That's what Fox are there for.

There are more toccos, 5800s and viewtys than iphones...go figure.

strecker wrote: »
    So, now it's about apps? And Android looks "sleek"? Surely not unskinned vanilla?

This is obviously not going anywhere. I, btw, consider Nokia's N-series to date a disaster (N900 excluded). I consider the E72 an upgrade merely the e63, not the 71. I'm not a s60 fanboy. But to support criticism of one OS, talking nonsense about another is not helpful.

And: if it's oh so easy for HTC to use wm and skin it, why the X1 disaster? Or why Samsung's original Omnia fail? While arguably 2 of the best S60 devices were made by Samsung... You don't "like" - say so. We all like and don't like. Don't act as if you're disseminating unbiased 'fact'. That's what Fox are there for.

There are more toccos, 5800s and viewtys than iphones...go figure.

For a start HTC only make the X1 hardware, Sony messed up the operating system and tbh Iv always hated SE's software as it just never worked. The Omnia was alot of hype but just didn't live up but I felt it was more down to hardware than software.

Iv no problem with S60 at all but its never worked well for touchscreen devices and S60's day is pretty much over at this point in time. Agree with you about the last set of Nokia's N-series as the N97 never justified the extra cost over the 5800 and in all fairness the 5800 was maybe to good a phone when it came out to not be a N-series device.

And App's play a huge part in a phone's success or failure these days so lets not pretend otherwise and Nokia's app store is very lacking when you compare it to what you can get for Apple and Android devices.

Engadget have a preview of the N8 with several videos. Below is their summation:
    Engadget wrote:
    To summarize then, Nokia has put together a growling multimedia powerhouse, but the OS is so far from being fully baked we can still see the dough. Clearly the only thing holding the N8 back is finalizing the Symbian^3 environment, which we're told is still scheduled to happen in Q3 2010. To quote a line we overheard at this presentation, "it's just a matter of Anssi being happy with the software" at this point, though if we were him, we'd feel pretty far away from that magical time. Let's see what the devs manage to cook up -- the ingredients are all there, and navigation doesn't seem to suffer from very much lag, so it's just a matter of knuckling down and tidying it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Decisions Decisions! Having always been a nokia fanboy I jumped ship to winmo, then android and then back to nokia. I've gone from 5800>n97>hd2>nexus one>X6 and finally back to a trusty n96!

Even with the N6 being capacitive I just felt nokia was behind the rest with their touchscreens hence going back to buttons. I was considering a jump back to android untill I got word of the N8, but I just fear it's going to be another letdown as in the past.

Even with it being symbian 3 it looks too simular for my liking to s60 5th and I just dont know if it's worth the risk. Whilst nokia have always had the basic phone functions spot on they seem to suck when it comes to apps & customisation other than theme's which good ones are few and far between.

I'm stuck on the fence between this and the iPhone4 at the moment & dont know which to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

eireal wrote: »
    Decisions Decisions! Having always been a nokia fanboy I jumped ship to winmo, then android and then back to nokia. I've gone from 5800>n97>hd2>nexus one>X6 and finally back to a trusty n96!

Can I just ask why you went from a nexus one to a an X6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Been looking over this for the last hour or so. I've been a Nokia user for aaages (in between a sony ericsson) and this does appear to check all the boxes for me

- very good media player
    - very good camera
    - very good browsing experience

Saw this video online:

I think its between this or a Sony X10 for me but I dont want to wait till August when the N8 is supposedly released.

Hmmmm....choices choices choices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Can I just ask why you went from a nexus one to a an X6?

It was just little things that bugged me about the phone at the time, not being able to switch profiles like on the nokia, transfaring contacts from my sim was a pain, no alarm when turning phone off, again all little things that were fixable with app's but seen as the X6 was the first capacitive nokia I thought it would have been better than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nadeem1414

Nokia N8 is very costly selling in the Pakistan but it has sufficient qualities, its camera print and video recording is brielent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

see vf uk have the N8 up on their website as coming soon
    http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/nokia-n8

so have nokia.IT with a price tag of 469e
    http://shop.nokia.it/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10507_10104_-4_80000493

question for you lads i have allways used nokia(bar once when i used a SE)which i later switched back to a nokia, i can get an ip4 as im out off contract.
    would i be better off waiting for the N8 or a HTC desire/iphone4 also this multi tasking that people go on about the iphones dont have can someone give me an example of it.(i presume it means listening to the music player while sending txts etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Samson1

Think the N8 looks great. As a confirmed Nokia customer, I have stayed with the N97 despite all the problems - particularly trying to charge it - this micro USB charging simply does not work. This seems to be addressed on the N8 - as it has the old 2mm charging point, in addition to USB charging.

Seems that the N8 is the phone the N97 should have been, basically the same with improved camera, video & software / operating system (I hope). I cannot understand why Nokia does not issue imediate updates where problems are identified. This is where they are losing out to the competition.

Looking forward to N8 user reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i also have an n97 on my 2nd one the fw at first with all the freezing really p8ssed me off, since the updates i find it the biz was going get an iphone 4 for the sake of upgrading might hold out and see if 3 are going to release the n8 as im a nokia man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Looking at this as a replacement for my N78 as its dying on its feet at the moment. Don't think its due for release till late September, so I'm trying to get as many reviews and opinions as possible. Any thoughts ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Fergie, i moved your post to here, its kinda of a N8 megathread. Have a read of it, and post back with your comments/what your interested in

Advertisement