Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Passport Application

• 07-07-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi

I want to apply for a British passport and I'm wondering do I apply to the passport office in Belfast or British embassy in Dublin as I'm from NI. I'm living in Dublin by the way.

I think I apply to Belfast but not sure since the app form says I should be resident in the country (NI) at time if application.

Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It really depends on if you are a resident of the Republic or just visiting.

If resident then you apply to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭patchybaby

because you have a dub address you can do it in dub. Im scottish and i had to renew mines last year....i downloaded the apps and sent them away to dub together with the fee and 6e for postage. My sis in law tried to renew hers in belfast but because her address was in donegal they told her to go to Dub.

they're very god in dub and you can also go pick it up wen it's ready.....hope that's some help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kelzer

I'm resident in Dublin. I thought I heard that people born in NI applied to Belfast and people born in GB applied to Dublin? Or is it just if your resident in the Republic then it's the Dublin office?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/renewing-your-passport/

If you're resident in the ROI, then you apply in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Get down to the British Embassy in Ballsbridge, they are very very helpful and the service is very quick. you will need a "professional Person" who has known you for a number of years to sign and validate you.

one warning though, getting into the embassy is a bit like boarding an aircraft, so don't take your handgun or flicknife:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As a general I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are in the world, when applying for a passport, you do so in the country that you are resident in.

Can anyone confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The fees seem quite high compared to the sterling fees:

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.gov.uk/content/en/article/postie_passport_fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

one warning though, getting into the embassy is a bit like boarding an aircraft, so don't take your handgun or flicknife:D

Given that when you walk in the door you're technically leaving ROI and entering the United Kingdom I suppose it's to be expected!

Ponster wrote: »
    As a general I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are in the world, when applying for a passport, you do so in the country that you are resident in.

Can anyone confirm ?

For what its worth, yes that is the case. However your "home" country may not have an embassy/consulate in your country of residence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In that case a certain UK embassy is designated to deal with people from those countries that do not have a UK embassy.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In that case a certain UK embassy is designated to deal with people from those countries that do not have a UK embassy.

Well I was making the general point about various countries. I don't think there is anywhere without some British representation

In many cases, countries will accept applications in their HQ from citizens living in countries without representation

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Selbeep

Hi there,

I was looking up today how I go about renewing my passport. On the British Embassy website, it states that I post it in to them and it costs €182. However, if I was able to renew my passport in Belfast, it would cost £72.50 or £81.25 if I could use the Post Office’s Passport Check & Send service. This seems to be a massive difference in the price and I wonder is there any way that I can renew my passport through the UK instead. I see somewhere that you can renew it in the UK if you are going to be there for at least 3 weeks but when we visit, we wouldn't normally be there for that long. I wonder would it be possible to get an appointment to visit the Belfast office.

Selbeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement