Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Thesis

• 11-10-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all
    Doing my thesis on the GAA and Irish Masculinity. It is an interesting topic. Reading boys like the Waterford Footballers, The Club, Donal Og's autobiography and plenty more some not related to GAA. Intend on visiting the GAA museum. Thinking of including people like Paul Galvin, Donal Og, MJ Tierney and the mort players who are high profile.I was wondering does anyone have any ideas or places I could also research!

Many thanks lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

M.J Tierney and Conor Mortimer high profile ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Cardinal O'Fiach Library in Armagh - http://www.ofiaich.ie/
    It has a lot of GAA stuff in it as well as access to people who are very knowledgable.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

scoopmine wrote: »
    Hi all
    Doing my thesis on the GAA and Irish Masculinity. It is an interesting topic. Reading boys like the Waterford Footballers, The Club, Donal Og's autobiography and plenty more some not related to GAA. Intend on visiting the GAA museum. Thinking of including people like Paul Galvin, Donal Og, MJ Tierney and the mort players who are high profile.I was wondering does anyone have any ideas or places I could also research!

Many thanks lads!

re: Waterford: The book was tame in comparison to what it's actually like

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

vast majority of clubs also have histories published... know the county board in my county was compiling them..

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭pipelaser

You Must read "Hurling: The Revolution Years" by Denis Walsh

Its probably the greatest GAA book ever written. (And I've read a lot of them)

The reason its relevant is that it goes deep into how they(Clare,Wexford,Offaly & Waterford) prepared for their All Irelands, with some teams getting in a councillor.
    She made the Wexford lads cry, the Offaly lads made her cry ("This **** isnt gonna work on us sweetcheeks" and so on!!)

An absolutely cracking book, one of the most insightful in the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Brillant lads

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Alaska1 wrote: »
    M.J Tierney and Conor Mortimer high profile ? :D
    You can ask the two lads on Twitter.

They'd only be too glad of the attention ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

pipelaser wrote: »
    You Must read "Hurling: The Revolution Years" by Denis Walsh

Its probably the greatest GAA book ever written. (And I've read a lot of them)

The reason its relevant is that it goes deep into how they(Clare,Wexford,Offaly & Waterford) prepared for their All Irelands, with some teams getting in a councillor.
    She made the Wexford lads cry, the Offaly lads made her cry ("This **** isnt gonna work on us sweetcheeks" and so on!!)

An absolutely cracking book, one of the most insightful in the GAA.

Just ordered the book from Amazon - £2.80 free delivery to a UK address

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭pipelaser

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Just ordered the book from Amazon - £2.80 free delivery to a UK address

How ya finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Hi all

Many thanks lads!

What exactly is your thesis on? What is the research question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know this is a skit but i think it sums up the link between masculinity and the GAA in a pretty funny way!

Well lads

My question and area is
    The GAA and Changing Constructions of Contemporary Masculinity, Role Models and Irishness.
    Getting on OK about 5000 words in but if anyone has any help,tips, sites or references would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Well lads

My question and area is
    The GAA and Changing Constructions of Contemporary Masculinity, Role Models and Irishness.
    Getting on OK about 5000 words in but if anyone has any help,tips, sites or references would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds interesting, will you be sharing it here?

Also out of curiosity are you a psychology student?

Ye I would have no problem sharing it when it's finished.

No I am a humanities student!

Ye I would have no problem sharing it when it's finished.

No I am a humanities student!

Cool I would read it and I bet a good few people here would too. And just what is wrong with psychology students??! :D

What is wrong with psychology students?

What is right with them!

What is wrong with psychology students?

What is right with them!

Haha I resemble that remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Well lads

My question and area is

Obviously being quite a centralised and small sport in terms of study that makes it difficult at times to get research in my eyes. I'm surprised you're taking it on, it's an enormous challenge in my eyes.

Have you hit up journal articles? JSTOR, Academic Search Complete, Wiley? Look for articles on Psychology, Culture, Sports and take those frameworks and apply it to your own i.e you wouldn't need soccer information, just take their methods of analysis. Head to google books and see what's there. Also, google the term. Spend an hour drilling down into the work using different search terms. Open links in new tabs and go through them.

Do you have a supervisor? If so, they may be able to guide you in the right direction if they haven't already.

Could you do aural interviews? If you're allowed to and if you've a local hurling/football club you have a potential goldmine. You'd be getting absolute primary sources. If I could interview people for my studies I'd be delirious with the information.

What's the word count? If you have 5k done and you're enjoying it, it's half the battle.

Hey lads done and submitted hopefully I get good marks a very interesting topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Any chance of a look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 -Nail-Biter-

Hi! I'm looking for theses and publications on constructions of masculinity in the GAA as research for my own dissertation and found this thread... the suggestions above are great, (thanks!) but scoopmine if you could share a link to your thesis that'd be great too! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Hi! I'm looking for theses and publications on constructions of masculinity in the GAA as research for my own dissertation and found this thread... the suggestions above are great, (thanks!) but scoopmine if you could share a link to your thesis that'd be great too! Thanks!

If you check the library catalogues of all the Irish universities online using a keyword search you should be able to find the title. As long as it was a postgraduate thesis. If it wasn't then it's unlikely to be all that useful anyway, in my experience.

I will send it on PM me your email!

Advertisement