Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Won't Read Disc

• 02-04-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Son was playing COD -world at war and it froze while loading . Only option was to reboot but now it won't read any disc. Any one have this problem with PS3. Have restored and reformatted and still have same problem!

Any Ideas ?

As console is out of warranty - 2 years old , The only option Sony offer is spend another 160 euro and get an out of warranty exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

The exact same thing happened to me mate,
    Luckily for me It happened only a couple of weeks after I bought it and could exchange it. But I found Sony to be little help.

Hope you get something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can get it repaired yourself for cheaper than that or do it yourself for around €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

ongarite wrote: »
    You can get it repaired yourself for cheaper than that or do it yourself for around €60.

Where would I get it repaired cheaply ?

I got a quote from a repair shop for €160 if it needs a new Blu-ray lazer . Bit of a coincidence that that is what Sony say retailers are giving out of warranty exchanges for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

Try using a standard DVD laser lens cleaner, you can pick them up for about €15 in DID or Harvey Normans. It worked for me when I did it.

dak wrote: »
    Where would I get it repaired cheaply ?

I got a quote from a repair shop for €160 if it needs a new Blu-ray lazer . Bit of a coincidence that that is what Sony say retailers are giving out of warranty exchanges for ?

Ring this crowd:
    http://consolerepairsireland.ie/about_us.php

They will provide a quote based on the problem with your console.

• Advertisement

Ring this crowd:
    http://consolerepairsireland.ie/about_us.php

They will provide a quote based on the problem with your console.

Thanks for the info! When I think about it I don't think it could be the Lazer as it will play a ski game that is on the HDD. I would guess it is a dat corruption problem as it has these folders like data utility etc which I hadn't noticed before instead of the twirling arrows as the game loads from disc

If it plays downloaded PSN games that are on the HDD and not disc-based games, then its definately the Blu-Ray laser that needs replacing.

If it plays downloaded PSN games that are on the HDD and not disc-based games, then its definately the Blu-Ray laser that needs replacing.

I had to get a lazer replaced on an Ordinary Sony DVD player as well . Sems like they may be putting cheap unreliable lazers in the PS3 and ord dvd players that aren't up to the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

Same thing happened to me, luckily i brought it back to the shop and they gave me a brand new one for free. However, I don't know if it is the Blu-ray laser. Is it not a fault in the hardware of the system that just may take a while to take effect? That's what I was told, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

This seems to be one of the more common PS3 faults. Happened me a couple of months ago on my 40GB. Hadn't got receipt from HMV, so rang Sony and they just took my details and arranged a courier to pick up the console.

Got a new (refurb I presume) 80GB with a Dual Shock back in about 4 days. Very happy with the service Sony gave me.

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »
    This seems to be one of the more common PS3 faults. Happened me a couple of months ago on my 40GB. Hadn't got receipt from HMV, so rang Sony and they just took my details and arranged a courier to pick up the console.

Got a new (refurb I presume) 80GB with a Dual Shock back in about 4 days. Very happy with the service Sony gave me.

I assume your machine was in warranty--they can probabley tell from the serial number. Sony customer service told me policy was an industry std 12 month guarantee then pay up your 160 for an exchange console. (no exceptions). Offered a free game to console me! pathetic. They said that because the ps3 was so technical there were bound to be faults!

Its says alot about Sony if this is how they treat customers. If its a common fault it is probabley due to sony geting sub standard lasers from their suppliers! That is a Sony manufacturing problem which should have been addressed by a recall. It is not the end user who should have to pay the bill for a defective part.

I asked Sony if they would sell me the part on its own but was told all repairs are done in UK by SCE agents. All of the online shops I tried are out of stock of Blu-ray lens......... I wonder why ?

Loads of them on eBay.
    Have you tried the repair crowd I linked to you in earlier above?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

My friend bought one of the PS3's at launch and he had a problem with the blueray lazer not working about a month ago. He brought it back to Smyths without a receipt and got a replacement model 10 days later.

Have you tried bringing it back to where you got it from? Tell them Sony told you to!

lordlame wrote: »
    My friend bought one of the PS3's at launch and he had a problem with the blueray lazer not working about a month ago. He brought it back to Smyths without a receipt and got a replacement model 10 days later.

Have you tried bringing it back to where you got it from? Tell them Sony told you to!

I'm very very suprised that Smyths actually did this. Seeing as the PS3 is over 1 year old, they are under no obligation at all to take back the PS3 and supply a replacement model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm very very suprised that Smyths actually did this. Seeing as the PS3 is over 1 year old, they are under no obligation at all to take back the PS3 and supply a replacement model.

Nope. Relatively, warranty means nothing under law here. Your statutory rights superceed any warranty. But in that case, I think there is a known problem with the blu ray lasers.

The seller is the one you should be dealing with here. Regardless of Sony's warranty, if there is a reasonable expectation for a console to last longer than 2 years (with a PS3 I would say there is definitely) then you can file a claim with the small claims court.

Of course, a judge may see otherwise, but all you have to lose is €15. Before you go down that road though, make every effort possible to complain to Sony and make your case heard - quote the sale of goods and supply of services act etc. Only then go to the SCC.

In fact, you could ring the SCC and see what they have to say about your case, and whether it is worth opening one.

I would say that there is a known problem with Blu Ray lasers judging by the number of posts about this problem. Sony Cutomer service won't address or admit the problem exist ..will fob you of that the the product is technically advanced and that faults can occur in such a high tech machine and that they give an industry standard 1 year guarentee! I think that is a load of cobblers ! Would any computer manufacturer get away with such dribble and tell you your compuer is fab but will only last a year and a bit !

The people in Sony Customer Service are courteous but hide behind the service team banner - no names on E-mails etc . I received a new game in the post this morning as a token from Sony ! Now I wonder what I could play it on ! Maybe I'll sell it and buy an X-box !

I am thinking of going to the small claims court . I assume it is the retailer I will have to go after and let them take it up with Sony ! I will firstly give the retailer a chance to resolve this problem without going legal!

Elessar wrote: »
    Nope. Relatively, warranty means nothing under law here. Your statutory rights superceed any warranty. But in that case, I think there is a known problem with the blu ray lasers.

The seller is the one you should be dealing with here. Regardless of Sony's warranty, if there is a reasonable expectation for a console to last longer than 2 years (with a PS3 I would say there is definitely) then you can file a claim with the small claims court.

Of course, a judge may see otherwise, but all you have to lose is €15. Before you go down that road though, make every effort possible to complain to Sony and make your case heard - quote the sale of goods and supply of services act etc. Only then go to the SCC.

In fact, you could ring the SCC and see what they have to say about your case, and whether it is worth opening one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

dak wrote: »
    I assume your machine was in warranty--they can probabley tell from the serial number. Sony customer service told me policy was an industry std 12 month guarantee then pay up your 160 for an exchange console. (no exceptions). Offered a free game to console me! pathetic. They said that because the ps3 was so technical there were bound to be faults!

Its says alot about Sony if this is how they treat customers. If its a common fault it is probabley due to sony geting sub standard lasers from their suppliers! That is a Sony manufacturing problem which should have been addressed by a recall. It is not the end user who should have to pay the bill for a defective part.

Whoah, sorry for late response just seeing this now. :o

Well, my PS3 was about 4 months out of warranty, and I wasn't fobbed off or given excuses. The guy on the phone just took the serial, asked me about the problem, asked me did I drop it or move it around a lot and then just gave me a courier ref and they collected the console 2 days later. I got the replacement another 2 days after that.

• ongarite wrote: »

My brother brought his broken PS3 back to smyths without a receipt and they replaced it for him, although Sony gave him a reference number to quote to them.

Still good service though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

Smyths are very good like that, I've brought back a couple of controllers and they've given me new ones, all the better that the new ones were dualshock3!

liverpo.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Friend had a PS3 with a game stuck in tray. They gave it to somebody who got disk back but now won't play anything.
    It's out of warranty.
    They spoke to Xtravision who said they would make a call after Easter. Something mentioned about €160. Is this the exchange that people are referring to ?
    What are the options. I see the link for Console Repairs in Bray, Is this a better option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

OK, myself and two other people have all witnessed the fix from Sony. I really hope people are not being taken advantage of by these 'console repair' guys....

Shop washing their hands of any claim. They say they offer a one years warranty and I should go after manufacturer. I think they need ro read up on the sale of goods and services act!

I'm going to claim of the retailer through the small claims court!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Good man. Please, update us on what happens. It will be a valuable reference for anyone else with similar problems!

Just dug out my receipt and found I bought the PS3 on 31st Jan 08 which is even worse! I thought we had it for nearly 2 years. Going to claim for a replacement now , not a repair !

Have submitted an online small claim. Dead easy and costs €15! Will post outcome which I guess will be a month or 2 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This happened me the other day also, strangely enough. Was playing COD4, it froze up and now won't read any disc put into it.

Got it in Game in Dundrum, so am going to give them a call tomorrow. May still have the receipt but I know they've our details on file, it was only bought a year and a half ago so I'm hoping they just replace it outright without it having to go through the SCC.

Sony support is a load of bollocks and makes Microsoft look like knights in shining armour in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Since its a half year out of warranty I think you would be lucky to get a refurb from Sony, nevermind a replacement from Game.

Let us know though.

noodler wrote: »
    Since its a half year out of warranty I think you would be lucky to get a refurb from Sony, nevermind a replacement from Game.

Let us know though.
    As I pasted into another thread
    Under the EU Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC), which was passed into law in January 2003 (S.I. 11 of 2003) in Ireland, all consumers purchasing goods have a right to a minimum guarantee of two years on products. The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within the period of 2 years. The consumer is entitled to ask that the goods be repaired or replaced free of charge. These rights are known as your statutory rights.

from CitizensInformation.ie

So I'm not going to fret about their little "manufacturers warranty" just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My advice

By an Xbox360

Sorry had to say it :p

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    My advice

By an Xbox360

Sorry had to say it :p
    rrod.jpg

Advertisement