Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

writhen wrote: »
    Chimay Red

€1 a bottle in Tesco!!!!!

Tastes even better at that price

special offer?
    near out of date?
    where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Carlsberg, yeah seriously I had 2 glasses of the stuff but in fairness, it's all they served on the plane. Made up for the fact that I had a Porterhouse Oyster stout with breakfast at Dublin Airport T2 before I started the long trip to Sydney, of which I am in Kuala Lumper now.
    Bring on the Aussie craft beer from tomorrow evening when I arrive, or eh... in about 10 hours time (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

writhen wrote: »
    Chimay Red

€1 a bottle in Tesco!!!!!

Tastes even better at that price

special offer?
    near out of date?
    where?

Think they're delisting it. Best before is august 2012. I got mine in Monaghan. Will be there tomorrow to clear out the remainder of the bottles! No brainer...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Had some Leann Follain earlier, really tasty, I can see why it's mentioned so often on the forum here. Although I can't help wondering if the carbonation covers thenflavour some what and would be nicer with less, or possibly even nitrogenated.

Having some River Horse Triple Horse now. Quite nice, but too strong a banana/melon flavour for my liking. To be fair though, I had some Westmalle last weekend and I might have been expecting something too much like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Cantillon Gueuze way too sour for me.
    Just too bitter and sour for my tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

stevenmu wrote: »
    would be nicer with less, or possibly even nitrogenated.

On the contrary, nitrogen/co2 (Guinness style) mix would produce less flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I had a lovely blarney blonde today. Also hitting up the murphys and beamish here in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

imag0486if.jpg

Had some of this over the weekend...Nøgne ø Imperial India Pale Ale!!

Was very nice but at €7 a bottle!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Itchen Valley Brewery India Pale Ale (Bitter with a bite) on cask was a lovely citrus smelling/tasting beer.
    Very hoppy and dry after taste and a little malty.

I had it side by side with Jaipur but I prefer the Jaipur. Nothing wrong with the Itchen beer and I would drink it again no doubt if Jaipur wasnt there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Erdinger Oktoberfest.... its back and tastes as good as ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

imag0486if.jpg

10% alcohol and very tasty, worth it.

Where'd you get it for €7? It's €7.50 at my local offy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Saruman wrote: »
    On the contrary, nitrogen/co2 (Guinness style) mix would produce less flavour.
    I'll take your word for it, I'm so used to Guinness as a stout that LF's carbonation was a bit of a surprise. Very very tasty either way.

• imag0486if.jpg

This seems to be popping up here a lot lately. Does anyone know if it's available in Cork at all? Dying try it now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I know Bradley's have had at least some of them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Where'd you get it for €7? It's €7.50 at my local offy.

O Briens in Templeogue had a few bottles.. None in Rathgar..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

back from lisbon where the draught/bottle choice was awful - however I was surprised to discover Super Bock Stout which was pleasantly sessionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a few pints of Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts in the Bull and Castle last night, was lovely and creamy. Friend had the Mc Graths Black, didn't think much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have a bottle in the fridge waiting be drunk. Looking forward to it cos I had a bottle of HopDevil the other night and thought it was beautiful. Reminded me of a sweeter version of Goose Island IPA.

Hop Devil is my all-time favourite beer - it is my ideal level of bitterness. Hop Wallop only comes out around hop harvest time so I usually grab a case then, but it is about as hoppy as I'd go. Anything stronger seems to cross the line into sickly-sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Robinsons Old Tom Strong Ale. Not feeling this little kitty at all, which is a pity because I had great expectations for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

donnacha wrote: »
    back from lisbon where the draught/bottle choice was awful - however I was surprised to discover Super Bock Stout which was pleasantly sessionable.

Lol in Lisbon now and had my first SB stout last night - lovely. SB Abadia (strongish blone ale) is also pretty good. But, yes, the bar selection is awful. Love Lisbon all the same.

• Advertisement

Port, ginjinha, vinho verde: sure what'd you be wanting beer for?

I do remember the Belgian beer selection in the supermarkets being good, and cheap, though.

Lol in Lisbon now and had my first SB stout last night - lovely. SB Abadia (strongish blone ale) is also pretty good. But, yes, the bar selection is awful. Love Lisbon all the same.

Cool city - if you fancy a night off the beer then check out the Cinco Lounge - honestly the best cocktails I have ever tasted http://cincolounge.com/en

BeerNut wrote: »
    ginjinha ... sure what'd you be wanting beer for?
    How had I not heard of this before - damn it sounds nice.

donnacha wrote: »
    How had I not heard of this before
    It is, apparently, the world's smallest local drinking culture, based entirely in the streets around Rossio Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Drinking a pint of Mourne Oyster stout. Very smooth taste, slightly less bitter than Guinness. Brewed by Whitewater Brewery, well worth a taste

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Picked up two strongish Belgians I haven't tried before; Daas Ambre (6.5 abv) and Sloeber (7.5 abv).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Drinking a pint of Mourne Oyster stout. Very smooth taste, slightly less bitter than Guinness. Brewed by Whitewater Brewery, well worth a taste

Where'd you get this? I love Whitewater and love oyster stout so wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Where'd you get this? I love Whitewater and love oyster stout so wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.
    They make it especially for the Mourne Seafood chain and I don't think it's available elsewhere. Like most oyster stouts it doesn't contain any oysters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Should be in Belfast next weekend so I'll pop in then if I can.

Was not aware that oysters weren't usually added, always just assumed from having tried the Porterhouse one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

irish_goat wrote: »
    Should be in Belfast next weekend so I'll pop in then if I can.

Was not aware that oysters weren't usually added, always just assumed from having tried the Porterhouse one.

You can get a pint in the Mourne Seafood Bar, right beside Kelly's Cellars. Food in there is brilliant and the Oyster stout is the best pint I've had in a while, so well worth visiting the place. Pity it's not more widely available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement