Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work on the river

• 28-05-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

anyone know what are they doing on the river next to the sextant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

I was wondering about this too, and figured there'd already be a massive discussion about it on boards, since you guys know everything! :D

They seem to have put some huge poles with depth markers on into the river, and there's also a very large pipe of some variety that they're working on on the dockside.

I pass it every day on my way home from work, and it's got me very curious. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

It might have something to do with this
    http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,30663,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The Barron is correct, they are putting in the pontoons for the Clipper round the world race. It's coming into Kinsale in June and then the boats are coming up to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it'll be great to see once it's finished.

4650023086_0b79123faa.jpg

4650023140_0785370954.jpg

if I only had a boat ...

One thing though, the pontoon will stay there permanently, to allow people to moor in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

dont think it's just for the clipper race.... permanent for all boat users wanting to tie up and stay overnight etc

http://www.portofcork.ie/news-events.aspx?id=190

about time some amenity is being given to boat users in cork..there is a serious lack of proper safe purpose built slips around the harbour for boat users to launch boats etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

scuby wrote: »
    about time some amenity is being given to boat users in cork..there is a serious lack of proper safe purpose built slips around the harbour for boat users to launch boats etc

Especially considering the translation of the latin on our city's crest means "A safe harbour for ships".

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

So could I drive to work in a jet ski and tie it up there in future for the old 9 to 5?
    Or would I have to pay loads of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

It's being built for the Clipper race and will be left in situ for "pleasure boats".

Advertisement