Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Valuation

• 03-11-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have two bottles of wine that I would like to sell. They are good wines and are probably worth €50+, possibly even twice that. I'm not sure of the best way to sell them. Is there a wine auctioneer or something that anyone can give me some info even a wine ebay or something. I tried Googling but I really know so little about wine I wasn't able to really derive anything meaningful. I don't know if it helps but I have left the details of the wine below.

Chateux Kirwan
    Margaux
    Grand Cru Classe

Louis Jadot
    Gevrey-Chambertin les Cazetiers

If someone could point me in the right direction of where to go from here.
    Thanks,
    Sean.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Personally, I'd be slow to buy an expensive wine from an individual and I'd guess I'm not alone
    It could have been stored in a cupboard next to a radiator or in a freezing garage. A wine that's 20 years old is risky if it hasn't been cellared properly.

Your best bet is probably try to sell it to someone you know.

Or

Spoil yourself......Drink it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Isn't that technically illegal though? (just wondering)

rubadub wrote: »
    Isn't that technically illegal though? (just wondering)

Technically, I think, you need a licence to sell alcohol.

However, I don't see a problem in selling 2 bottles to a friend (unless your friend shops you:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Personally, I'd be slow to buy an expensive wine from an individual and I'd guess I'm not alone
    It could have been stored in a cupboard next to a radiator or in a freezing garage. A wine that's 20 years old is risky if it hasn't been cellared properly.

Or

Spoil yourself......Drink it!:)

First off, thanks for the reply. I agree with you that an individual would be slow to buy it. I didn't store it in a garage or near a radiator (I know what you mean, I can't prove I didn't) I would need the receipt of a wine storage company to prove otherwise.

I understated the price by a factor (well technical value from equivalent wines that are selling on some sites). The wine was a gift from my godfather, I'm afraid if I drink it I won't be able to appreciate it, to me it may well be another €10 Spar bottle. I'm 21 and not exactly a wine connoisseur. The bottles are a year past peak maturity and hanging on to them wouldn't be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just to let you know i've emailed someone who i'm pretty certain will have a very good idea as to what they're worth. i'll get back to you when i get a reply, and then you can invite me round for a drink... wine preferably:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Dev 17 wrote: »
    I'm afraid if I drink it I won't be able to appreciate it, to me it may well be another €10 Spar bottle.

Don't worry, you won't confuse them with Spar plonk. People always worry about this, but once you taste really good properly aged wine there's no mistaking it for cheap rubbish.

Really, unless you can get something near the market price, treat yourself and drink it. How often will you get the chance to try something that good?

rockbeer wrote: »
    Don't worry, you won't confuse them with Spar plonk. People always worry about this, but once you taste really good properly aged wine there's no mistaking it for cheap rubbish.

Really, unless you can get something near the market price, treat yourself and drink it. How often will you get the chance to try something that good?

Yay, drink it and report back.:D
    And don't build up to it.
    Open it on a whim tonight.
    Don't open it hours before you drink it - maybe just half an hour or so.
    (old wines can deteriorate very quickly once open)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

just to let you know i've emailed someone who i'm pretty certain will have a very good idea as to what they're worth. i'll get back to you when i get a reply, and then you can invite me round for a drink... wine preferably:D

:D Thanks, that would be awesome.

Those of you making the 'just drink it argument', I'm inclined to see your point of view. It would be :cool: to have a good wine. I'm meeting up with some old friends next week so I thought maybe I might take a bottle of wine over and share it.

Those of you making the 'just drink it argument', I'm inclined to see your point of view. It would be :cool: to have a good wine. I'm meeting up with some old friends next week so I thought maybe I might take a bottle of wine over and share it.

The only thing better than drinking a good bottle is sharing it.
    Although, maybe not amongst too many people.
    4 is a good number for a nice bottle:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Just crack it open and get stuck into it. They're not going to be worth thousands, i wouldn't imagine so just enjoy it.

Depending on what you work at, bring it in some day and have a liquid lunch. At least when you get back to work half cut, you'll have done it on some fine wine. (Obviously if this is likely to get you sacked, then don't try it;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

OP you lucky fecker!!

The Jadot Gevrey Chambertin would probably set you back €100 -150..

'89 in burgundy is a very good vintage and could last up to 25 or 30 years...maybe more..

I'd open that for the crimbo dinner and enjoy it!
    There is a reason why THE most expensive wines in the world come from that part of France.

The 87 Kirwan could be past it at this stage but if it is still ok it should taste far superior to any of the spar stuff you get..

BTW the Jadot stuff, if you like it, could set you on the path to being a wine nut...it's a fabulous way to start....

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

got hold of my friend as she never got back to me, but couldn't really be very precise. it seems the jadot one is pricing around the 100-150 euros mark as mikep says. the kirwan is a lot tougher. Margaux of that year have a huge price range, some trading around 30 (expected past their best) to the chateau margaux trading around 200.

bottom line is: Drink em. invite a couple of mates and enjoy!!!

Advertisement