Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the GPA system work?

• 30-04-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

And what is a compensation and how does it work?

Say if you have a GPA of 2.8 and already have passed most of your semester courses with a couple of A's and a B..what happens if you screw up one of the others? what's the story on making just over 35% or just under..how does it all work?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Afaik you can't get a GPA high enough to pass if you fail a subject. Not 100% on how GPA is calculated but I'd say it has to do with the credits for each module and your grade.

Compensation is say were you get 35%-39% (a fail) but get an A or B in another module so it compensates and allows you a pass in the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭macrubicon

In essence you study modules. Those modules are worth a number of credits. Each grade is worth a weighting.

Your GPA is the total of your weighted grades divided by your credits.

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm gives a rough guide - just read weighting for "Grade Points"

From the handbook online ...

How do I progress?

To progress from one academic year to another students must pass the stage examination as a wholeby attaining a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 with no fails in either semester in accordance with the marks and standards document.

For those who do not succeed in passing at the first attempt repeat attempts are available. Examinations for the winter semester take place in January and the
    Spring/Summer semester in May/June. Repeat examinations for both semesters take place in the last two weeks of August. Students are allowed to progress to the Spring semester without passing all subjects but will have to repeat the subjects they failed, in the August repeat exams.

They will not be permitted to progress to the second year until the subjects are passed. You should familiarise yourself with the Marks and Standards document which is available in the library and on the student intranet.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

I'm not quite sure, but is a D a fail or a pass?

theGavin wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure, but is a D a fail or a pass?

A fail, it's 35% - 39%, therefore needs to be compenstated or repeated.

A fail, it's 35% - 39%, therefore needs to be compenstated or repeated.

Compensated? Would that be from receiving an A from another subject?

• Advertisement

theGavin wrote: »
    Compensated? Would that be from receiving an A from another subject?

A or B.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We were told 35% is a pass assuming you've been attending class. They take it as "close enough". Between 35% and 40%, they look at your attandance for the class and if you've been in the majority of the time, they put it down to a bad day and give you the pass. If however you have missed most of the classes, they deem it a fail.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    We were told 35% is a pass assuming you've been attending class. They take it as "close enough". Between 35% and 40%, they look at your attandance for the class and if you've been in the majority of the time, they put it down to a bad day and give you the pass. If however you have missed most of the classes, they deem it a fail.

What course are you doing? I'm guessing they don't care if you've ever gone to class if you're receiving A's and B's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

From what I've read a 'D' grade is a compensate fail. You must achieve a GPA of 2.0 and 60 credits overall to pass each year of your programme. If you do not achieve a GPA of 2.0, then you must repeat D grades to bring the overall result up to the minimum 2.0 pass mark. All F grades must be repeated to achieve the full 60

Advertisement