Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergies causing horrible rash on dog...

• 06-06-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

My dog suffers from skin allergies which the vet believes is from pollen. (Sorry if the pictures don't show up...I don't know how to fix them so they load with the message.) This is him after a few hours out in the garden this evening with me :( The last time it flared up he constantly licked himself until his foot bleed and he had a head collar on for a few weeks and was on antibiotics and painkillers. This time it looks alot worse as its not just red and has an actual rash but hes not licking it which is some relief. It seems to clear up pretty quickly, by the morning it will probably not show but it must cause him discomfort. Does anyone else have a pet that suffers like this? I've followed the vets advice and have him eating fish based foods and put cod liver oil into his food but the next step was steroids which neither I nor the vet want for him. Does anyone have any other advice that they may have tried that worked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor dog :( My dog gets it from the cut grass in the park. :( It's not as bad since switching to raw but I keep an eye on it this time of year because I've missed it in the past and it's been all over his tummy, legs and groin. The first sign I start giving him pirotin (the vet said this was fine) and also a tiny dab of cortopin cream stops the sores in their tracks so they don't blister and scab.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Thank you :) I've tried a few ointments but will definitely look up these and try them out. He gets so miserable when it flares up, hes lying on the bed beside me and sulks if I stop rubbing his little itches :)

Baby wipes might be an idea too - rub him down after he's been out to clean away the pollen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yep! My dog has doggy hay fever too. Unfortunately, the allergy spoils his lovely white bits on his coat and he then gets red yeast as he's licking it so much. He's also prone to ear infections as a result of this and has one at the moment, which is clearing up, thankfully :(. I do keep a stock of Canaural for his ears and prendisolone, but tend to use them as a nuclear option.

After walking him, I make up a rinse of warm water with a couple of drops of tea tree oil, and rub him off with that, paying particular attention to between the toes and the pads. I also use camomile tea which is great for skin complaints. I make the tea with boiling water, let it cool to blood heat and wash his face and paws with that. Lavender oil is also very good for calming the skin.

He also gets a half teaspoon of cod liver oil in his food daily.

He smells lovely after that!

I was thinking of maybe trying a shampoo to be safe but no idea what to get?! I want something that's medicated/antibacterial that will also soothe his skin - something from the vets (thats over the counter) or a petshoppy one?! He swims most days and goes to hydro every week where he's showered off after anyways so could use the shampoo then. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't get anything that's too harsh, especially as the dog's in water a lot of the time. Either use a puppy shampoo or get a tea tree oil one. You need as mild a shampoo as possible to avoid upsetting the skin further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

http://www.theequinewarehouse.ie/soa-soap.ir?cName=equine-healthcare-first-aid-skincare&gclid=CPnI-rXW0bcCFaQ92wodCncAgg

guys i bought a bar of this at the pet expo. i use to wash my female westie who suffers from allergies.

now i have changed her food too and shes much much better (so i'm not sure what actually helped the most) but this stuff is good as well, its has no fragrance etc and it last ages. i give her a wash with it every couple of weeks using lukewarm water. worth a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

My eldest dog has some sort of hotspot that he keeps licking. Vet thinks it might be an allergy - pollen - but I am not sure. Have been using a medicated shampoo called 'Malaseb' - can only get in vets.

Found another medicated shampoo 'Dermopt' which is supposed to be an alternative to 'Malaseb' but you don't need a script and works out cheaper. Ordered some last night on Amazon. I also ordered a spray that Dermopt do which reduces any itchiness straight away.

www.amazon.co.uk/DermOpt-Shampoo-for-Dogs-250ml/dp/B00BV8OR0Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370599008&sr=8-4&keywords=dermopt+shampoo

www.amazon.co.uk/DermOpt-conditioner-spray-1000ml/dp/B008A9PDV4/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1370599568&sr=8-18&keywords=dermopt+shampoo

Made by this crowd:
    http://perfectpetskin.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

http://www.theequinewarehouse.ie/soa-soap.ir?cName=equine-healthcare-first-aid-skincare&gclid=CPnI-rXW0bcCFaQ92wodCncAgg

guys i bought a bar of this at the pet expo. i use to wash my female westie who suffers from allergies.

now i have changed her food too and shes much much better (so i'm not sure what actually helped the most) but this stuff is good as well, its has no fragrance etc and it last ages. i give her a wash with it every couple of weeks using lukewarm water. worth a try?

I used that on my cat last year (also got it at the pet expo!) when she had allergic dermatitis and it really took the itch out of it for her, before she would be going mad scratching and biting her sore spots but after this she left them alone, which gave the medication a chance to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I'm just going to throw this out here but cider vinegar is brilliant for all manner of ailments.

You could try a solution of it with water after the bath or just dab some on.

make sure you get the vinegar "with the mother" on it as this is the best type.

I don't know if this will work but its natural and so it won't harm your dog.

I used it myself on my cat. She had a dry patch in her head(wasn't sure if was ringworm) so I just dabbed some of this on her head about 3 times a day. The dry patch is now gone.

• Advertisement

I used that on my cat last year (also got it at the pet expo!) when she had allergic dermatitis and it really took the itch out of it for her, before she would be going mad scratching and biting her sore spots but after this she left them alone, which gave the medication a chance to work!

yeah i'm going to keep getting it. malaseb didnt work at all for my girl. wasnt sure if it was the soap or the food but i think its a combination. she has barely been scratching at all this year. she did get a bit if an eye infection which the vet reckoned was pollen but that has cleared up now.

PlainP wrote: »
    I'm just going to throw this out here but cider vinegar is brilliant for all manner of ailments.

You could try a solution of it with water after the bath or just dab some on.

make sure you get the vinegar "with the mother" on it as this is the best type.

I don't know if this will work but its natural and so it won't harm your dog.

I used it myself on my cat. She had a dry patch in her head(wasn't sure if was ringworm) so I just dabbed some of this on her head about 3 times a day. The dry patch is now gone.

ive heard this works great from others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I got this for one of my dogs who has got a mysterious itch (several vets couldnt resolve it - scrapings taken etc etc) I also got this:

http://www.poochandmutt.com/bionicbiotic/

which seem to have it under control (somewhat).My dog was on a human antihistamine at one time, when vet thought it was pollen/hay fever (Piriton - over the counter at pharmacies)

OP just a suggestion; anything new you are trying, and there are lots of good suggestions here, try one at a time, before trying next thing, on the grounds that you can id whats working/helping! Hope you get your dog sorted, its the pits I know, having watched my poor itchy chap for years

Thanks for all the replies and ideas :) He's alot better today and he had his tea tree bath (but of course he burst out the door past me and started rolling in the grass so in he went again!) I have alot of tips that I can try here and hopefully one will be his savior :) I've already changed his food to Red Mills hypoallergenic which helped a little bit so hopefully it can only get better. He's feeling a bit sorry for himself today snuggling up to me and hitting me with his nose when i take my hand away :):)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been washing my little man in a hypoallergenic organic oat wash and hes so much better. The rash cleared up almost straight away and one wash a week in this shampoo and its staying away. He still gets a little pink but nothing that's too worrying :):) I got it in a pet shop so it's easily got. I also gave him Piriton for a few days during the sunny days so its a mixture. Thanks for the help again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

+1 for MALASEB. Use it twice weekly & cut down on the Pred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Just to say I have been using the Dermopt a couple of weeks now as an alternative to Malaseb.

I haven't tried the shampoo yet but have used the spray. I wasn't sure it would work. I clean Darby's leg twice a day with a wipe (he has licked all the hair off a section of his front leg) and apply some of the Dermopt spray. It seems to be working well as he has stopped the licking.

Advertisement