Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ten Week Roster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

esf2012 wrote: »

As for exile, just a word to the wise, it took less than a minute for me to find out who you are so for your own sake, stop posting about work on open forums.

I don't need to hide who I am..
    It's the guards, lads, not MI5. If you can find i'm in any breach of the secrets act then go ahead and point em out, other than that I'm as entitled to talk about the aspects of my job that I do as much as any other worker.

Now back to the 10 week roster topic maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Lads for anyone not expecting this to come into effect on April 2nd I for one urge you to see sense. Nothing the GRA do and or say will effect the top mans decisions, he is going to bring it in as early as he chooses.

I'm prepared for then and if you and your unit are not I think your being naieve. If it has to come in why would he bother waiting?

6 on 3 1/2 off not bad! It's not realistically 4 days lads, just like after a week of nights you don't really get 2 1/2 off its more like 1 1/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

garkane wrote: »
    Lads for anyone not expecting this to come into effect on April 2nd I for one urge you to see sense. Nothing the GRA do and or say will effect the top mans decisions, he is going to bring it in as early as he chooses.

I'm prepared for then and if you and your unit are not I think your being naieve. If it has to come in why would he bother waiting?

6 on 3 1/2 off not bad! It's not realistically 4 days lads, just like after a week of nights you don't really get 2 1/2 off its more like 1 1/2

The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I'm confused as to why it is the 2nd April and not the 1st though.

2nd is a monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

MagicSean wrote: »
    The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I'm confused as to why it is the 2nd April and not the 1st though.

the 2nd is the start of a new roster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Probably don't want to kick it off on April Fool's day :D

pa990 wrote: »

the 2nd is the start of a new roster

Not just any roster.. The new new roster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

d3exile wrote: »
    I don't need to hide who I am..
    It's the guards, lads, not MI5. If you can find i'm in any breach of the secrets act then go ahead and point em out, other than that I'm as entitled to talk about the aspects of my job that I do as much as any other worker.

Now back to the 10 week roster topic maybe?

Couple of things I just have to comment on. Not all aimed at the quoted post or poster

ESF provides a forum just like boards. It does have a secure part to the forum which I'm quite happy is near impossible to get into. Hense I post in there every now and then (but boards is better:p!!!)

Next the ESF forum does not bad mouth us so we should extend them the same courtesy

Thirdly it's up to each poster to decide how they play in regards real identities, I think any AGS member is MAD to allow their identity be known. Again, it's up to yerselves.

Finally, we're already back on topic so lets just leave it at that. No need to reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Not just any roster.. The new new roster!
    The one and only GRA roster, if it works it will be their brain child, and then they will be looking for a pat on the back for all the work they have put in to it, yet they are getting sub's every week to do their job. if it dont work they will blame everyone else for it, typical GRA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Ahh yes...D day..

I can see all Supers/Cigs/Sgt ICs scratching their heads wondering..

Where the feck are we going to find lads for this fabled Unit E?

• Advertisement

Ahh yes...D day..

I reckon this will only be a problem outside the cities no?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

Ahh yes...D day..

It'll be a huge problem outside the cities

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

0325422 wrote: »
    Ahh yes...D day..

It'll be a huge problem outside the cities

The four existing units will lose a couple of members surely? Will make a huge hit on rural sub district stations where they're thin on the ground already!!

April 30th seems to be the new date !!

Also payroll problems may see it pushed back even further, if my sources are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Why do people consider the 8 or so hours after a sunday night shift as not being time off?

rondeco (you cant just take it like that on just one shift, you need to take into account the whole week that we have just had, so here's my typical week)

Its like this, if you start work at 10pm and finish at 6am when would you logically go to bed considering you are back in work again at 10pm the next night...

If you then work a full week of that shift you are exhausted by the time your 7th night comes round so you go to bed.
    Personally I work in the city centre which is different than the suburbam stations where beat work is the norm every night, you may not get a chance to be in a car all wee, so I could have to walk for 7 hours of my night(yes i actually am allowed a break :rolleyes: )

But this is what everyone outside the job doesnt get, your not going to bed at 6am, by the time you get home, wash and then sometimes have something to eat you can add at minimum an hour to 6am that... Sleep then get up have some dinner (body clock thinks breakfast) that brings you up to roughly 5pm, wide awake now and not needing sleep you try do something useful with the remaining hours of the day - but wait most of your friends work a 9-5 so they have just got in from work have washed had dinner and are about ready to do things come 7pm but wont because they are going to bed early to be up at half 7ish for work at 9.....

So in the time off on a Monday you then think what can I do now, NOTHING is the answer therefore you do not count the monday, bed time for normal people10-11pm but wait I just got up at half 3 i'm wide awake having slept all morning and my body is expecting to ready itself for another night which isnt going to happen... I lie awake for hours and hours in bed from 12 maybe if i'm lucky i'll fall asleep before 5am and then Tuesday is pretty much a repeat of Monday, wait then Ive work on Wednesday at 2pm I better go to bed earlier on Tuesday night but I know I wont sleep because again I slept all Tuesday Morning trying to get out of my week of nights routine...

Hope this explains why we dont count them hours...

p.s god forbid I have a wife/kids/dogs or any kind of anything else to do with my "8" hours after the night shift... oh and just to add to this, I've drove home after a week of night on the Sunday night/Monday morning in a state of mind I can only say feels like I am drink driving, wake up Monday morning wondering did I drive home and what way did I drive....(seriously)

rondeco (you cant just take it like that on just one shift, you need to take into account the whole week that we have just had, so here's my typical week)

Its like this, if you start work at 10pm and finish at 6am when would you logically go to bed considering you are back in work again at 10pm the next night...

If you then work a full week of that shift you are exhausted by the time your 7th night comes round so you go to bed.
    Personally I work in the city centre which is different than the suburbam stations where beat work is the norm every night, you may not get a chance to be in a car all wee, so I could have to walk for 7 hours of my night(yes i actually am allowed a break :rolleyes: )

But this is what everyone outside the job doesnt get, your not going to bed at 6am, by the time you get home, wash and then sometimes have something to eat you can add at minimum an hour to 6am that... Sleep then get up have some dinner (body clock thinks breakfast) that brings you up to roughly 5pm, wide awake now and not needing sleep you try do something useful with the remaining hours of the day - but wait most of your friends work a 9-5 so they have just got in from work have washed had dinner and are about ready to do things come 7pm but wont because they are going to bed early to be up at half 7ish for work at 9.....

So in the time off on a Monday you then think what can I do now, NOTHING is the answer therefore you do not count the monday, bed time for normal people10-11pm but wait I just got up at half 3 i'm wide awake having slept all morning and my body is expecting to ready itself for another night which isnt going to happen... I lie awake for hours and hours in bed from 12 maybe if i'm lucky i'll fall asleep before 5am and then Tuesday is pretty much a repeat of Monday, wait then Ive work on Wednesday at 2pm I better go to bed earlier on Tuesday night but I know I wont sleep because again I slept all Tuesday Morning trying to get out of my week of nights routine...

Hope this explains why we dont count them hours...

p.s god forbid I have a wife/kids/dogs or any kind of anything else to do with my "8" hours after the night shift... oh and just to add to this, I've drove home after a week of night on the Sunday night/Monday morning in a state of mind I can only say feels like I am drink driving, wake up Monday morning wondering did I drive home and what way did I drive....(seriously)

Completely agree. especially with the driving home bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Oh oh, it seems like we are going to have a lot of cranky Gardai with these new shifts.:D

Personally I cant wait for the new shift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭pah

[ p.s god forbid I have a wife/kids/dogs or any kind of anything else to do with my "8" hours after the night shift

Anyone who does certainly won't be sleeping til the luxurious hour of 3.30pm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

pa990 wrote: »
    April 30th seems to be the new date !!

Also payroll problems may see it pushed back even further, if my sources are correct.

Payroll problems? sure the pay system is staying the same? all allowances and OT are every 4 weeks same as now

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Com1186 wrote: »
    http://www.gra.cc/roster_proposals.shtml

What does everyone think of the proposed 10 week roster, apart from needing a masters degree just to read it!

a little birdy told me that this roster has been put out there to make the reverse country roster look more appealing and that no matter what it will be the reverse country we will be working next!

Seems your "little birdy" hadn't a flipping clue . . . . .nothing new there mind.

coach23 wrote: »
    Payroll problems? sure the pay system is staying the same? all allowances and OT are every 4 weeks same as now

when i say payroll problems, i mean minor changes that will have to be made to accommodate the changes, which may involve a change somewhere along the line, and none of that can even begin until everything is absolutely finalised.
    i'm just thinking ppars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Com1186

don't be creul to my little birdy..... he wont be working it anyways! we will.... whether its :D or :eek:.... time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

So, it appears that April 30th has been declared as the start date of the new roster. Confusion shall reign supreme for a while, and then......................., who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

as someone in a sub station i really like it :) alot of stuff happens after 1am when im finished and i really dont mind working on as the time off it better and i believe the leave stays the same so if anything we are gaining time off

Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tom traubert

as someone in a sub station i really like it :) alot of stuff happens after 1am when im finished and i really dont mind working on as the time off it better and i believe the leave stays the same so if anything we are gaining time off

Bring it on

I'd agree that from a work p.o.v. it seems better but that's contingent on having the basic tools to do the job. A vehicle of some sort, for instance, in my case would be of great assistance. Having a 50 square mile rural sub-district to look after ain't easy at the moment. However, I'll not derail the thread.

What concerns me most tbh is child care. I have 3 under 8, the youngest under 2 and my wife also works (luckily). It appears from early calculations that costs may rise by as much as 50% in our case. We'll get 'til a fortnight into the little'uns summer hols out of the 1st roster and I suppose we'll have a better idea of where we stand then.

So, it appears that April 30th has been declared as the start date of the new roster. Confusion shall reign supreme for a while, and then......................., who knows?

UPDATE ON ROSTERS Tues. 21.02.12
    The Gda Commr has advised that the Pilot Roster will commence on 30th April ‘12. We are seeking to address outstanding issues in the Working Time Agreement re compensatory rest. We have secured agreement that “Late1” tours will finish at 10 pm for Core / Non-Core Units.

Pilot my arse..

I'd agree that from a work p.o.v. it seems better but that's contingent on having the basic tools to do the job. A vehicle of some sort, for instance, in my case would be of great assistance. Having a 50 square mile rural sub-district to look after ain't easy at the moment. However, I'll not derail the thread.

What concerns me most tbh is child care. I have 3 under 8, the youngest under 2 and my wife also works (luckily). It appears from early calculations that costs may rise by as much as 50% in our case. We'll get 'til a fortnight into the little'uns summer hols out of the 1st roster and I suppose we'll have a better idea of where we stand then.

Well agree with you there different sub stations have different resources. I'm lucky I think we are only sub district in the state with a perminent land crusier for 3 guards but saying that we do have reasons for needing that.

Also have a kid to think of and but again I'm lucky in how it effects me. Completely agree that my circumstances are different to others it might not suit

But thing is a new roster of sorts is coming and no matter eh at it won't suit everyone no matter what management do.

I don't see why or if it can be put on trial run in dmr. A pilot means possibiliy of rejection and it has to come in by eu law. So final agreed roster will roll out nationally at same time so I think and local management seems to think so too.

But plain clothes and traffic WILL not be happy new unit means more manpower. Hey sure even us sub stations are not safe from being reduced to meet the staffing needs.

• Advertisement

Forward for your attention please :D

Advertisement