Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear is back - Sunday 27th January

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those rams continental races are so boring, if I wanted to watch people on a train I'd get the train :confused:

I dunno, I quite like them. It is interesting to see who will win!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

drumslate wrote: »
    I dunno, I quite like them. It is interesting to see who will win!

Except for the fact that James May admitted last season on the show that the endings were fixed. Can you really believe that they have cameras set up all along the route to capture those drive by moments as they happen or that Clarkson is going at flat out speed with the camera Range Rover ahead ?

I'd love to be proven otherwise but the cynic in me says it's pretty much all staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

lway wrote: »
    it's pretty much all staged.
    Everything in the show is staged and pre-scripted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ba_barabus wrote: »

That's precisely the problem, it's gone stale or they are stale. The show's dynamic needs turbo charging. What was once unmissable is now very missable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Was a bit preoccupied on Sunday and the stupid sky box didn't record it.
    I've checked the search function but can't see it repeated, can anyone shed some light on when I can catch it again?
    Bbc iplayer won't work for me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's precisely the problem, it's gone stale or they are stale. The show's dynamic needs turbo charging. What was once unmissable is now very missable.
    The ratings figures tell a different story as far as I'm aware.

It's a car based entertainment show now. Anyone who remembers that it was a car show from years back will always be disappointed as it's not aimed at them.

It'#s not a bad light entertainment show if you view it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 20,394 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was a bit preoccupied on Sunday and the stupid sky box didn't record it.
    I've checked the search function but can't see it repeated, can anyone shed some light on when I can catch it again?
    Bbc iplayer won't work for me either.

Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ba_barabus wrote: »

Exactly.

Anyone that's been to Top Gear live will tell you this. The only difference with the show itself is that they have plenty of time to edit it and make it more punchy.

Top Gear is an entertainment show and not a documentary. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It's been pretty poor this year, bar the race with JC vs the 2 boys, that girl guest driver was brill in fairness too. I do agree they do need to revamp it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

kneemos wrote: »
    A bloke driving a car is not riviting in fairness.

It is when it's a Shelby Mustang GT500. That car makes my pants tingle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

lway wrote: »
    Except for the fact that James May admitted last season on the show that the endings were fixed. Can you really believe that they have cameras set up all along the route to capture those drive by moments as they happen or that Clarkson is going at flat out speed with the camera Range Rover ahead ?

I'd love to be proven otherwise but the cynic in me says it's pretty much all staged.

Clarkson will drive to where ever the race is going with a range rover filming It is done on real time but they do pick tight routes and then the crew will drive it back to get the fancy shots.

It took them 5 days to get back to the UK when doing the Varon race they did. It was on that top gear blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Thats the one race i love to watch over and over again, Adore that Buggatti :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

For anybody worried about the "lack of 4x4 action" (Personallu I've seen loads on TG),
    One of the challenges in the current series will be to find the source of the R. Nile in 4x4s, thats according to a season preview in TG Magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Watched fifth gear on monday night and found it much better,new audi s8 savage.

Who's watching??? Prefer the Astra myself in the 3 of them Hatchs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Must say I love car rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

BillJ wrote: »
    Must say I love car rugby!
    I fricken hate the way they do that sh¡t! Why damage perfectly good cars? I guess I'm just an old school petrol head, with a lot of mechanical sympathy. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Taxmans trousers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Gosub wrote: »
    I fricken hate the way they do that sh¡t! Why damage perfectly good cars? I guess I'm just an old school petrol head, with a lot of mechanical sympathy. :mad:

Cos it makes for decent viewing. And who wouldnt love to be at the wheel playing car rugby? Be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Car Rugby looks like great craic, not too sure the groundskeepers at Twickers would have been with it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Because they're Kias...

It's like throwing Christians in the Colluseum. Great entertainment for the BMW-owning Romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm sure KIA don't mind the publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Gosub wrote: »

Because the cost of damaging those cars and the cost of flood lights give Kia a hell of a lot more advertising than what the cost of an ad would cost.

It's not as if a fleet of Ferrari GTO's were being mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nice bit of free publicity for Discover Ireland there too

Would love to play car rugby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They make one every 5 seconds :)

(As Daihatsu told younger Jeremy Clarkson when he damaged one of their cars on a test drive in japan)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Well that was boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I see the Vauxhall Vectra made a welcome return to our screens.

I remember on the older series of Top Gear, Clarkson walked up to it and just started to look at it. After 30 seconds of looking at it, he gets a call on his mobile.

"Ah, I'm supposed to drive it. Wasn't sure looking at it".

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0RU9Ax8MSs

A bit different to how I remembered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Good ep. Enjoyed car rugby. Those Kias are surprisingly tough. Expected to see more bumpers strewn around. Pitch looked fucked afterwards.

Also regarding the Vauxhall/Ford/Renault comparisons, i would have gone with the Astra too. And i'm usually a Ford fan. I don't like Fords new "trout pout" styling :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Are sportages really only front wheel drive? Thats useless for a jeep

Advertisement