Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I think that ******** definitely helps with section 1&3 the ones I had been practising were a lot harder so I found them easy on Saturday! I had seen similar material for section 3 but harder so it was great! But it definitely didn't help my section 2 which was already my weakest section and definitely my weakest on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised if I got none correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I love section 2. It just makes sense to me I guess, though I do want to become a psychiatrist so it's probably good if I understand people. :L

Section 3 is the devil. Although I did find it better on Saturday than in the practise test I did! (13/30, disaster :L)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

finality wrote: »
    in the towel question I said she realised the relationship had changed - at the end she said something about how the records of the phone calls would have been proof for her, I don't think she was being flippant, she was being quite serious about the whole thing...don't think she thought she was losing either, she was sticking to her guns. :P
    Yeah i said that too, I think the passage made a point about how comfortable with each other they were(him on the toilet, nakedness) so her covering up showed a change?

I hope all these people who are this confident aren't saying so in real life as I remember last year the absolute ridicule these people got.. Always the dark horses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yeah i said that too, I think the passage made a point about how comfortable with each other they were(him on the toilet, nakedness) so her covering up showed a change?
    While i'd agree with you about the "calm and comfortable" bit, I can't say i'd say the same for the towel question.

I don't see how a small argument about how the guy was handling his stalker could have lead to any significant change in the relationship. She appeared concerned for her partner more than anything in the extract. I'd have thought what she did at the end was something of a passive-aggressive reprimand directed at him for whatever he did (I vaguely remember something about deleting recordings?).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

I hope all these people who are this confident aren't saying so in real life as I remember last year the absolute ridicule these people got.. Always the dark horses

I said a change in their relationship too, as at the beginning of the passage they are very comfortable with each other sharing the bathroom, but by the end she seems to be less comfortable, so grabs the towel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

While i'd agree with you about the "calm and comfortable" bit, I can't say i'd say the same for the towel question.

I don't see how a small argument about how the guy was handling his stalker could have lead to any significant change in the relationship. She appeared concerned for her partner more than anything in the extract. I'd have thought what she did at the end was something of a passive-aggressive reprimand directed at him for whatever he did (I vaguely remember something about deleting recordings?).

i actually got the feeling that she suspected he was covering something of a sexual nature up by deleting all the messages etc. so, i went with the "relationship change" answer as i felt she had some sort of realisation that he had been cheating on her and she became bashful

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

from the start of the passage she was distrustful of the whole stalker theory (she wished he didn't delete the msgs because she wants proof, and even says that to him) We aren't given any indication that he is lying or delusional, the evidence in the passage leaned more towards stalker being real.

At the end of the passage nothing had really changed in their relationship as far as I could see.. she is still not believing, and he seemed kinda of pissed off about her questioning his reality.

It did seem a lot more tense between them after she questions/confronts him on it though, so maybe that counts as a change in their relationship, who knows. For me the towel thing seemed more like her closing herself away from him after an argument, so I think I chose whatever fit in best with that, but I wouldn't have much confidence in section 2's toughest questions, it always seems more like a healthy combination of instinct and guesswork.

I think the right option was just that it was a really cold day and she wanted a towel to dry herself fast, but for some crazy reason that wasn't one of the options.. :(

I've found the book where the extract was taken from: "Enduring Love" by Bran Nicols.

According to plot summaries I've read... Joe and Clarissa have a "comfortable" relationship that's strained by Joe's stalker Parry and Clarissa's belief that Joe has started to lose his mind.

Overall, although the relationship does appear to change somewhat, I don't think you can say it changed significantly in the extract. She's afraid he's going mad when she says "It may be a symptom rather than a cause" and seems annoyed and frustrated more than anything near the end.

MCQs really aren't the best way to ask questions like these tbh. There's so much ambiguity that it's difficult to conclusively determine the correct answer.

I think she was annoyed with him and wanted to sort of close off with him as it was no longer a comfortable situation, I didn't think any of the options really fit it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 penguin_p

when do the results come out?

• Advertisement

Pasted from UCD Booklet on undergraduate entry to medicine:

Date of HPAT-Ireland test
    25 Feb, 2012
    HPAT-Ireland test result to candidates
    25 April, 2012
    Collation of HPAT score & leaving results
    15 to 20 Aug, 2012 (provisional)
    Round 1 CAO offers
    20 August, 2012 (provisional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spots

All in all its pure and utter luck! It's pathetic really how our future depends on a test that is based on how our peers do. I know I seem like a right cynic but if I have any chance of getting into medicine it will be the hpat that saves me. I've done loads of practice tests including two last friday where I got 244 and 243 (perfect in section 3 may i add) but there are other people from my school who are smarter than me and deserve it more but they just can't get to grips with the hpat. The whole system needs a radical reform! Like when will you need to know anything you learned during Irish or English that you'll use if you're a doctor? We should be picking 3 or 4 subjects that are relevant to what we hope to study in University instead of 7 or more subjects with a stressful aptitude test thrown on top. The quicker those c*nts above in the dept. of education realise that the better!

spots wrote: »
    I've done loads of practice tests including two last friday where I got 244 and 243 (perfect in section 3 may i add)

ehm.. how did you calculate your score exactly? The questions are weighted, you could easily have gotten 150 or 280 after putting your scores through acer's bell curve formula, there is no way of knowing... its how you did compared to everyone else that counts, on a question by question basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

i reckon she realised the relationship had changed. she had no problem being naked in front of her husband, then when he reveals that he deleted the messages without letting anyone see them, he suddenly feels tired and wants to go to bed.... seems like hes hiding something. the wife suddenly feels uncomfortable so covers up. i think she suspects somethings going on other than stalking (ie; its a cover up for him cheating) .

i reckon she realised the relationship had changed. she had no problem being naked in front of her husband, then when he reveals that he deleted the messages without letting anyone see them, he suddenly feels tired and wants to go to bed.... seems like hes hiding something. the wife suddenly feels uncomfortable so covers up. i think she suspects somethings going on other than stalking (ie; its a cover up for him cheating) .
    He's not hiding anything though... according to the book itself, the stalker is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

yeah but the book is irrelevant, all that mattes is whats in the extract, and well thats just the feeling i get off it..... the whole atmosphere gets really uncomfortable really fast.

yeah but the book is irrelevant, all that mattes is whats in the extract, and well thats just the feeling i get off it..... the whole atmosphere gets really uncomfortable really fast.
    I'd have said the atmosphere was getting tense due to her annoyance and frustration at his actions rather than uncomfortable. The thing is, I don't see her suspecting him of cheating. The only thing I saw was her suspecting that he was losing his mind. You wouldn't expect that someone fearing their partner was losing their mind would immediately jump to the conclusion that they were cheating.

I guess it's all open to interpretation... which is ridiculous for an MCQ test.

I just got the percentage I got right in each section and added them. I know there all weighted and all that comparing buts its probably the closest way any of us can check before the actual thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

spots wrote: »
    I just got the percentage I got right in each section and added them. I know there all weighted and all that comparing buts its probably the closest way any of us can check before the actual thing

Don't tell anyone you did well until you get your results otherwise you'll look like a fool. This isn't something you can accurately or even marginally predict. Just sayin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leaving cert finished 2k11

what did ye guys put down as the answer for the question how would the boss feel towards rob and steve?? this was the extarct where the boss gives a special recognition for one of his two equal employes and the employee being congratulated(rob) points out that his partner deserves recognition also..i was between Rob:grateful,Steven:sympathy or Rob:irritated and Steven:Awkward???

• Advertisement

what did ye guys put down as the answer for the question how would the boss feel towards rob and steve?? this was the extarct where the boss gives a special recognition for one of his two equal employes and the employee being congratulated(rob) points out that his partner deserves recognition also..i was between Rob:grateful,Steven:sympathy or Rob:irritated and Steven:Awkward???

I think I said irritated and awkward, but I don't remember him being called Steven...

I thought it was mario and luigi, and the boss woman was bowser..

Between grateful and irritated I thought irritated was more likely - He undermined her and made her feel pretty awkward in front of the whole office. She was then forced to make an insincere 'congratulations' to the other guy, while the whole office half-heartedly clapped along.. an over-riding sense of awkwardness and insincerity (they mention that the clapping never reached anywhere near the same heights as for the previous guy). I don't know anyone who would be grateful in these circumstances, it just really didn't fit at all for me, and made me throw that option out.

Between sympathy and awkward, awkward fits better for me - it's not like she forgot to mention him by accident, she had not considered him in the first place. The way things went down, there was no sense of pity for Mario coming from her, just an uncomfortable feeling from the fact that she (and the whole office) had clearly chosen their favourite of the two gunning for promotion. I didn't foresee any sympathy coming his way any time soon (it seemed like everyone thought the best guy was getting the props), but I could definitely see boss lady being lost for words in his presence i.e. awkkkkkkwaaaaaarrdddd

So, I went with irritated & awkward. It was definitely not a perfect answer but for me, it was the best of a bad bunch.

Also small piece of advice.. there isn't really much point in replaying questions over and over again in your head at this stage - we aren't going to get any solid answers or solutions to particular questions - not now, not when we get our results, not ever.

Best thing you can do is forget about the exam entirely and focus on other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

Did people go up or down from the their mocks test last year does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EwEw

Don't tell anyone you did well until you get your results otherwise you'll look like a fool. This isn't something you can accurately or even marginally predict. Just sayin :pac:
    Isn't it actually impossible to "predict" how you did in it before you get the results? First of all, you can't remember all of the questions and your answers to them to be able to guess which answers could have been right.
    I think it's pointless now, all we can do is wait for the results =]

even if you had your scoresheet in front you now with answers marked right and wrong you still couldn't accurately predict your results.

(unless of course you got 100% in a section, or did really, really terribly! ;)

Look, I know people are on about it being 'impossible' to predict results but I'm sure most of you have done some sort of practice test. Last year I got 211 after getting around 200 in mock ones (yes this is my second hpat), so it does give you a fair idea. I know a few other people who got around the same in the real thing as they did in the mock. Now I believe in kind of 'getting what your deserve' which proved last year where I did decent in the hpat but didnt follow through in the leaving cert (got 505). So its simple, if u did do enough practice for the hpat you will be grand, same with the leaving cert! And does anyone know how many applied for medicine this year?

Were they different tests each year? If you're repeating the same mock tests you did last year I think it's pretty safe to say your results will go up if you do it again this year...

At the high end of results it will match pretty accurately since you're getting pretty much everything right - but each few q's you get wrong makes it more and more like a lottery - you might be good at the type of q's the average person is terrible at, meaning you get high points; even though you got the same amount of q's wrong as someone else your score could be very different - simple as that.

Since you're already in the 200+ range (especially if you are doing honours maths) all you have to do is nail a few A's down, regardless of your hpat score this year. No wonder you're so cocky..

Definitely agree about practise though - I think lots of very smart kids assume they don't need to study much for the hpat and buy into ACER's "you can't study for this test" line, and then get caught off guard and achieve mediocre scores in the HPAT (this is what acer want, it makes it easier for them to get a bell curve). I'm also a repeat student and I am very confident I will improve from last year mostly due to the huge amount of prep work I did this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

So many repeat students and grads going for medicine, how are we 16 year olds supposed to compete? :(

This thread makes me feel dumb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

So many repeat students and grads going for medicine, how are we 16 year olds supposed to compete? :(

This thread makes me feel dumb :rolleyes:

I know how you feel, I'm only just gone 17! But hey, think about it, (no disrespect meant to repeat students by the way, you obviously want medicine badly enough to go through the horror of 6th year again!) they obviously needed to repeat for some reason, which means that they didn't succeed in lc or hpat last year... Maybe we'll be the lucky ones who'll get it first time round! Don't let it get you down or annoy you, that sort of attitude isn't gonna help come June, you've gotta believe you can do it. Chin up! :D

• Advertisement

hollingr wrote: »
    Definitely agree about practise though - I think lots of very smart kids assume they don't need to study much for the hpat

That was my strategy. I hope it pays off, come April. :L

Advertisement