Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your diet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Peetrik wrote: »
    No, Logical Fallacy is dead right. You have about a 30min window after moderate/intense physical exercise in which your body will be looking to replace used glycogen.
    What you eat is much more likely to be changed to glycogen instead of to fat stores.

That's not my point (and xzanti's). If you are trying to lose weight, drinking an energy drink afterwards is just pointless. Sure, it would be helpful if you are doing some endurance event, but more than likely an endurance athlete won't need to lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

danniemcq wrote: »
    I have one of the worst diets in here,

I have a fry every morning at work, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, egg, beans white bread.

I've tried making it healthier by using scrambled eggs instead of fried now though.

I have 2-3 bags of crisps a days, about half dozen bars of chocolate,

no fruit, no veg (bar beans, peas and the very VERY rare carrot when i'm home and there is stew)

have way to much salt and butter on my spuds.

eat very little fish, never drink water and go on day long sessions on a fairly regular basis.

altogether i eat around 4000-5000 calories a day (fry, dinner at work, tea, dinner at home, snacks and supper along with all the junk)

The only exercise i get is a game of 5 a side (once in last 4 or 5 months) or a walk home after work.

I'm 6ft 2, 66kg and have excellent cholesterol.

Go metabolisim!

For some reason, I always thought you were a girl.

So I was reading through the post thinking RESPECT !

Then I got to the end, realised you were a guy, and thought, fat bastard :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    After training is absolutely the BEST time to eat whatever sugary crap you might want to be honest. Your metabolism is all amped up and your muslces are glycogen depleted so the sugar will actually be put to good use. :)

Not if you're trying to lose weight. It takes an awful lot of exercise to fully deplete your glycogen stores

It depends on diet and intensity/type of training.

Even during a cut, a lot of bodybuilders will add dextrose to a shake to help recovery

Also the insulin spike can be used as delivery mechanism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Im a very finicky eater, I usually only like chicken turkey or ham, which it can be hard to come up with different ideas on what to eat, but while im working its usually take away as I leave at 7.30 but might not get home til 10oclock. but my down fall is sugary drinks, but Im trying to cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

That's not my point (and xzanti's). If you are trying to lose weight, drinking an energy drink afterwards is just pointless. Sure, it would be helpful if you are doing some endurance event, but more than likely an endurance athlete won't need to lose weight

Ah ok it's just crossed wires, I agree with you 100% on the energy drinks, they are sugary garbage and detrimental to weight loss. I suspect a large portion of people, especially those new to dieting, would feel the need to 'cheat' however. I was agreeing with Logical that (if you have to) after exercise is the best time to do this.

Even during a cut, a lot of bodybuilders will add dextrose to a shake to help recovery

Bodybuilders would be up there with sumo wrestlers for some of the least healthful practices in sports. Wouldn't be looking too closely at them for advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I had all my clients eating a nice sugary something post workout and it never affected their weightloss in a negative way. I'd rather have them recovering correctly from a workout and feeling better for it, than coming in the next day all sore and tired.

It's also a bit help psychologically, people don't feel like they need to starve themselves. If anything it was a useful tool to drive them harder in the gym.

The implication that one energy drink will do enough to limit the effectiveness of a 24 hour period of excercise, rest and correct diet is just wrong tbh.

If you eat right all day and work hard in the gym there is nothing wrong with a little something sugary post workout. If an energy drink can slow your weightloss in a major way then you are not working hard enough to begin with and have more important things to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Diet is pretty good I think.

Big breakfast:
    Porridge with honey, cinnamon and soft fruits like raspberries or a chopped banana on top. Toast, sometimes a boiled egg. Apple or orange juice.

Lunch:
    Homemade soup and bread or salad wrap or sandwich with hummus, turkey and brie, chicken.

Dinner:
    Stir fry, Italian, Thai or Indian meals-from scratch usually, using store bought sauce if I don't have the time. Vegetarian a few days a week, chicken, fish based meals the rest of the time. Red meat once a forthnight or so-not keen on it. A roast (chicken) on Sunday usually.

Snacks-Fruit. Chocolate nearly every day but I love it :o whatever nuts or seed I have in the cupboard.

I drink water-tap, tea by the bucket load and fruit juices. Don't drink much alcohol. Never drink soft drinks-phosphoric acid that makes them fizz leaches calcium from the bones and my Mum had osteoporosis so I have to avoid them.

I eat too much bread slathered with butter, too much chocolate and I'd eat cake til I burst if I could so I restrict it. Crisps or junk food rarely-chips and burgers just sit in my stomach like lead for days if I eat them.

I walk or cycle everwhere. I go running a few days a week. No weight problems thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've been eating pretty badly lately. A lot of chocolate. I also drink a lot of energy drinks like Lucozade which I know is terrible.

Bodybuilders would be up there with sumo wrestlers for some of the least healthful practices in sports. Wouldn't be looking too closely at them for advice :)

In what way? The extreme dieting in contest prep or AAS use?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

I EAT PUPPIES AND KITTENS AND BABIES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I use bacon as a condiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

In what way? The extreme dieting in contest prep or AAS use?

While I'm sure the dieting isn't 'good' for them, it's not something I would be overly concerned about, it's the supplements that would concern me. The sport is rampant with supplements that are aimed at short term gain but with little or no consideration on the long term effects that they have on the human body and thats without even getting into the steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Used to be pretty good, weighting out food, keeping track of calories, eating very healthy, etc...

That's gone to **** lately though, hopefully get back eating well soon! Feel a million times better plus it usually works out cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Domo230 wrote: »
    Are you eating a paleo diet by any chance. When I was eating similar stuff to you I lost a ton of weight. Cash problems mean I can't afford food and am eating whatever the folks buy in at the moment but when I sort out some cash I am definitely going back to eating like that. It's a great diet and although it can be hard to adjust to the results for me were great and I never felt better.

No, its the Keto diet. Drain the body of carbs and the brain starts to produce ketones which burn fat for energy. I think they are all very similier but just different names.

I forgot to add I use a kettlebell for exercising about 30-40 mins an evening 6 days a week.

People keep telling me ill put the weight back on when I stop, but why would I stop? Im full of energy and I was able to buy some nice new cloths this week that fit me well.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I usually don't bother to eat. I'm probably gonna end up killing myself from accidental anorexia when I stop being fat xD

Believe or not, Anorexia is simply not eating, or not being hungry, lack of appetite. Anorexia nervosa is the mental illness that causes one to not eat but is, in most instances, shortened to anorexia. You can be anorexic without ever wanting to be skinny.

So there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

As of today, I'm giving up chocolate and trying to limit my sugar and carb intake. I have curtailed my carb intake quite a lot since last year, and have lost a stone. It really works I must say, but I do love my bread, pasta and chocolate!

Still, I'm not overweight anymore so it'll be worth it in the long run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dancor wrote: »
    People keep telling me ill put the weight back on when I stop, but why would I stop? Im full of energy and I was able to buy some nice new cloths this week that fit me well.

I got this too from people, said "Oh you'll prob go back on the drink 4 nights a week again and that'll be you fooked" but no way am I doing it! I actually still have a couple of pairs of 36" waist jeans from the bad old days but I am now 32" and agree with you about buying clothes that fit me well now without a big beer belly hanging out of it!

Still love me all day session over the weekend but I am not going back to the way it was, it's gone forever!

While I'm sure the dieting isn't 'good' for them, it's not something I would be overly concerned about, it's the supplements that would concern me. The sport is rampant with supplements that are aimed at short term gain but with little or no consideration on the long term effects that they have on the human body and thats without even getting into the steroids.

You mean that same supplements used in rugby, GAA, MMA, powerlifting, etc?

No, its the Keto diet. Drain the body of carbs and the brain starts to produce ketones which burn fat for energy. I think they are all very similier but just different names.

I forgot to add I use a kettlebell for exercising about 30-40 mins an evening 6 days a week.

People in general know **** all about nutrition, so i wouldn't worry about what people say. Once you've lost all the weight you need to you can add back a reasonable amount of carbs to maintain a healthy weight.

And a good way to think about it is as a lifestyle change, I don't say I have a Paleo diet, I say I have a Paleo lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's a special circle of hell reserved for people who eat porridge and like to tell everyone. ;)

I eat a diet of meat, eggs, cheese and pasta. I eat plenty of fruit in the form of whatever tomato based mush goes on the pasta. I also like several litres of fluids a day in the form of tea, milk and fizzy things.

Today I had wine gums for breakfast.

What's this about chocolate being good for teeth?!

• Advertisement

You can put weight on if you introduce too much carbs or stay keto for too long then introduce carbs. On very low carb diets, you can become physiological insulin resistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What do ye guys have for lunch? (if bread is ruled out)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

gurramok wrote: »
    What do ye guys have for lunch? (if bread is ruled out)

20 John Player Blue

:pac:

You can put weight on if you introduce too much carbs or stay keto for too long then introduce carbs. On very low carb diets, you can become physiological insulin resistant.

I am not 100% on this, but I think when you are using ketones for fuel then your body needs to save glucose for your brain. I took this from another site

The short version:
    * If you are insulin resistant and have high blood sugar (e.g. eating a standard diet), that is bad.
    * If you are insulin resistant and have a limited supply of blood sugar (e.g. eating LCHF), that is good.

The long version:
    When you are on a super low carb diet, the majority of your body switches over to burning fats for energy. However some parts of your brain still only burn glucose. So it's vitally important that your muscles don't gobble up your limited blood sugar before it reaches your brain! Your muscles will become insulin resistant so that glucose is conserved for your brain. This is why when you have been low-carbing for a while, you will fail an glucose tolerance test and should eat carbs for a few days before a that test. You are insulin resistant but since you aren't eating carbohydrates (or excessive protein) it doesn't cause problems because you are not hyerglycemic or hyperinsulinemic.

When you are insulin resistant AND eating a high carbohydrate diet, your blood sugar will go up and so will the amount of insulin in your body. Your body is geared towards burning glucose but because of your muscle (and maybe brain and liver) insulin resistance you can't easily get the energy you need from your available blood sugar. This is what most people mean when they refer to insulin resistance. As many low carbers are aware hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia cause a host of health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

My diet is carbs free I've lost a ton of weight I still get carbs but there from
    fruit and veg instead of starchy foods like bread, potatoes etc

Irish people eat far too much bread theres no need to

I am not 100% on this, but I think when you are using ketones for fuel then your body needs to save glucose for your brain. I took this from another site

Thats basically it. The cells know certain organs require glucose only so ignore them for fatty acids instead. the problem happens when a person has an unplanned event or has to go off the keto diet and increases their carb intake. If they have been very low carb for too long or have a large spike of carbs, the cells won't be able to deal with the sudden influx of glucose.

Some people stay on the induction or phase 1 levels of carbs for too long and forget to reintroduce some carbs e.g. sweet potato. So it always good to aim to introduce some complex carb source after a few weeks. Something along the lines of a two week diet break where you go to maintenance calories and add in some complex carb sources then if you feel you have more fat to lose, return to a lower carb level.

• 123balltv wrote: »
    My diet is carbs free I've lost a ton of weight I still get carbs but there from
    fruit and veg instead of starchy foods like bread, potatoes etc

Irish people eat far too much bread theres no need to

Its so nice though that's the problem, I have cut out a lot of the bread from my diet as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and I crave it. I still eat a sandwich for lunch a few days a week or Id go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine can great at times and awful at other times. I don't eat enough at all when I'm in college. Rarely eat full meals, because too much food at once makes me feel sick. So I just eat a lot of small things throughout the day. Can't go too long without eating anything at all though, makes me very faint.

Don't eat meat/fish at all.

Yesterday I had porridge for breakfast and then about 6 pancakes for dinner. And then a yoghurt. That's all. :o Most days I'm better than that!

When I'm at home I eat a lot more because my Mother cooks all the time to "try and fatten up" my brother and I. We both have very small appetites!

Its so nice though that's the problem, I have cut out a lot of the bread from my diet as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and I crave it. I still eat a sandwich for lunch a few days a week or Id go insane.

That's because neuro-peptides in wheat acts as opioids in the brain. So you are actually addicted to it. A couple of weeks without bread and you won't miss it anymore (I don't)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Did anyone hear about the new law that restaurants have to show the kcals on all items on their menus?

Was in a restaurant today and saw it for the first time, apple crumble 850kcals! Real eye opener. So I went for the salad ha

Advertisement