Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Skoda Octavia water in spare wheel well

• 23-01-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me is it a common problem with 2008 skoda octavia to have water in spare wheel well? Boot is dry as a bone and cannot figure out how water is getting in. Any ideas how to rectify this?
    Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Quite common in several brands.
    Solutions range from resealing windows to just drilling a small hole in the well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Water is coming in from the grommets on the rear lights. I had the issue myself. The grommets are rubber and can perish in our climate. They shrink and let water in which ends up in the spare wheel well. I have had the issue on two different cars. You can replace the grommets or use silicone. Its a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Probably doesn't apply but.....Is your rear screen wash working? The pipe carrying the water has been known to come loose in some Octavias.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

woody33 wrote: »
    Probably doesn't apply but.....Is your rear screen wash working? The pipe carrying the water has been known to come loose in some Octavias.

no rear screen wash is not working. is it difficult to trace the pipe back?

biko wrote: »
    Quite common in several brands.
    Solutions range from resealing windows to just drilling a small hole in the well.
    somebody told me just to drill small hole but would you have any idea what kind of money would it cost to reseal window?

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Water is coming in from the grommets on the rear lights. I had the issue myself. The grommets are rubber and can perish in our climate. They shrink and let water in which ends up in the spare wheel well. I have had the issue on two different cars. You can replace the grommets or use silicone. Its a pain.
    Did you carry out work yourself? or is it a job for skoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

bartbanis wrote: »
    Did you carry out work yourself? or is it a job for skoda?

Yes, it was not too bad. I have the issue on a Honda and Toyota.

But reading the above posts, if the Skoda is known to have issues with the rear wiper and yours is not working, I would defo start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

You said boot is dry! If water is coming from window there should be signs of water on mats, Had an issue with hatch door going out of line and it needed adjustment but you would see this by partially closing boot and stand back and you will see this and check seals around door. I had VWs which had an issue with water seeping in rear lights which were hard to see and this would explain dry boot. check for leaks around lights at a car wash or borrow power washer and direct it at rear lights one side at time,I used silicone but if trading car, a buyer will check for this , so a mechanic may be best bet or dealer to replace seals.
    2008 Skoda should be too new to have windscreen issue.Check rear washer as well if fitted on dry day by cleaning everything out of boot and get someone to use rear windscreen washer only remove wiper from glass first ,that will clear that issue.

Is the rear window sprayer built into wiper?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,363 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any wetness under the back seats or in the cabin?

• Advertisement

Rear washer jet not working - Skoda Octavia II (2004 - 2013 .

If you google using the line above you will find a number of articles , which go into useful detail especially Rear washer issue - DIY fix help posted by Moge in Feb 2010 to be honest i think its almost frightening what was discovered ,Leaked 2 Litres of Water into spare wheel well was one issue

Have you tried out Logic's suggestion of checking grommets on rear lights while using a power washer and same for seals around door ,or clearing out back of car and watching boot area yourself while getting someone to work rear window washer only keep wiper off glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 reflexsean

I also have water in with the spare of my 08 Skoda and also in my wife's 08 Skoda also has water in it have been told its coming in around the taillights there a rubber seal around them if you look there may be water marks should be able to see by pulling back the flap. In the boot there is 2 rubber grommets in the bottom of the spare wheel well just take out one with a screwdriver that should get the water out. Had a 05 Skoda Octavia and there is no water in it it's dry as a bone my son has it now. Wonder if it's just the 08s have water in the spare wheel well. PS I wouldn't drill any holes in the wheel well just take out the grommets under the spare wheel.

From the article I read above i figured it could be a blocked washer delivery jet at window , there appears to be a tube joining under the side cover and water pressure forces the pipe to pop, in this particular octavia a cd changer was near it,owner had 2 litres water in well before spotting it.
    older vw s seemed to have water issues with rear lamps. logic had issue in 2 cars so lamps should be main suspect, a power washer will show up this immediately and cleaning boot and getting someone to use rear washer will show up issue with washer,as he said it's not working so has to be checked asap, that is what happens when filling,washer bottle without cleaning container used first ,can also be cause by using unsuitable wash additive,I once had to replace pump in avensis washer as result :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

old trick i learned many years ago , get into the boot close the boot door, bring a good torch with you and get somebody outside to use a garden hose, from the roof down let the water follow its natural course down the back of the car, you should be able see water ingress, if the water is coming in from the boot seal or light cluster seal , but not from the grommits in the floor. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

My 07 had the water in the wheel well problem. I got the wiper spindle rubber changed and it's been bone dry since. The guy who services my car ( a skoda mechanic) says the spindle rubber works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

bartbanis wrote: »
    Is the rear window sprayer built into wiper?

To answer your question, yes.

The rear hatchback wiper motor has the sprayer built into it. Test yours and if water is not coming out, more than likely its going into the boot.

Sometimes the rear motor unit needs to be replaced as this is where water leaks from into the boot.

Also the rear washer pipe which leads into the wiper motor can get disconnected. Its a known fault in Octavia's according to my mechanic.

Its very difficult to get at and I would recommend your mechanic to do this for you.

Another possible source of water in boot, is through the rubber seal near the rear lights, wear and tear etc, you could source a new boot seal, check online with Mickgarage.ie for cost, not too expensive.

Advertisement