Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bullet stuck in barrel

• 26-02-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

i was out this morning sighting in a new .17hmr took 5 shots @50 yards just to get it on paper a bit off but lovely grouping anyway put 5 more rounds in the clip loaded pulled the trigger and silence, a dud , waited a few seconds recocked pulled trigger again still nothing , opened the bolt to see an spent shell , then i thought i was losing it because i didnt remember it firing , went on to load the next round but the bolt would not close tried a different bullet still the bolt would not close i took the bolt out looked down the barrel and low and behold the bullet from the dud is stuck in the barrel how do i solve this problem without causing any damage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

davekangoo wrote: »
    i was out this morning sighting in a new .17hmr took 5 shots @50 yards just to get it on paper a bit off but lovely grouping anyway put 5 more rounds in the clip loaded pulled the trigger and silence, a dud , waited a few seconds recocked pulled trigger again still nothing , opened the bolt to see an spent shell , then i thought i was losing it because i didnt remember it firing , went on to load the next round but the bolt would not close tried a different bullet still the bolt would not close i took the bolt out looked down the barrel and low and behold the bullet from the dud is stuck in the barrel how do i solve this problem without causing any damage
    Take it to a gunsmith.
    You are lucky it didn't chamber and fire into the first round!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭davekangoo

i know thats one good thing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

I'd try a drop of oil down the barrel let it set a few mins and try push it back towards the chamber with a cleaning rod.
    I would not go to mad with it and if that does not work you may bring it to a gunsmith.

is this a common thing , ive been shoting a .22 for years

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I had that happen with a 22lr round. I put a few drops of oil down the muzzle, waited a few minutes and pushed it out from from the breech to the muzzle

• Advertisement

would it not be better to push it the half inch or so back to breech instead of 22 inches out the muzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive had 4 miss fires out of half a box of hornady 20gr. The bullet never left the casing though.

Best thing is to get it to a good gunsmith to take it out. Last thing you want is to damage the rifling in your new barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

would it not be better to push it the half inch or so back to breech instead of 22 inches out the muzzle

In my case the bullet was half way up the barrel. If I was in your situation I'd do as you suggest above. Just watch for gunk coming into the works of your gun. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I would recommend putting a small bit of oil down the barrell wait for a few minutes and push it out with a cleaning rod. i would suggest pushing it out the muzzle as this is how the gun is designed. i would be concerned about damaging the rifling or the chamber if you pushed it back into the chamber. just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This is a topic that seems to becoming increasingly common place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Two things cause this;
    • The powder charge is insufficient/of poor quality. The powder does not burn at all or just enough to start the bullet into the bore, but not enough to push it all the way.
    • No powder charge and the primer actually acts like the powder. In this case the shell is empty, and the igniting of the primer has enough energy to "shove the bullet into the lands, but nowhere near enough to send it down the barrel.
    Depending on the bullets location it is best to push it back to the nearest "opening". In this case you seem to be able to see it from the chamber/action end so it would be best to place a cleaning rod (one piece, and coated) down from the muzzle and "tap" the bullet back out. It might be worthwhile to place a patch or some other piece of cloth around the tip of the rod to prevent any damage/scratching while doing this.

The bullet is a copper/lead mix. Both of which are softer than the barrel/action metals, and so damaging them will not be a major issue. Of course it always pay to be carful. If the bullet is just inside the barrel (as in only engaged) then it really hasn't had a chance to "dig into" the lands/grooves so a few gentle taps should do the trick.

A gunsmith would most likely do the same thing so unless you cannot get any joy there is no need to go to a gunsmith unless absolutely stuck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭clivej

First get a wooden dowle that is a real tight fit in the barrell. Fill the barrel with a heavy oil (car engine oil) and then using the tight dowl and a hammer punch the dowle down the barrel.

What you have now is the hydraulic ram that will push the bullet head out. Take care not to break the dowle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This happened twice this very morning, in two different rifles, also with 20gr Hornady ammunition.

Both rifles are a couple of years old and are in regular [daily] use as pest controllers - this was the first [and last] time that Hornady ammunition will be used in either.

In both cases [sorry for the pun] there was no charge - only priming, and the bullets came out of the lands with the gentlest of effort. I had my .177cal airgun cleaning pellets in my shooting box, and in each case I used one of them between the head of the cleaning rod and the bullet as a buffer.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

With reports like this becoming more common the .17 HMR certainly would not appeal itself to a potential buyer :eek::eek:

If it had chambered the 2nd round you could be wearing your rifle !!!!

I'd definately get in touch with the distributors and the manufacturer... :mad:

Truth. I would not like to have found out the hard way, but then, I don't shoot modern stuff like this and have no need for it.

However, it DOES seem in all cases - with you in RoI and here in backwater England - to be ammunition from the same maker that is at fault here. It's especially galling in view of the fact that Hornady are the 'inventors' of the .17 HMR [Hornady Magnum Rimfire] in the fust place.

Needless to say, the cartrdges I mentioned WILL be going back whence they came in the morning.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    First get a wooden dowle that is a real tight fit in the barrell. Fill the barrel with a heavy oil (car engine oil) and then using the tight dowl and a hammer punch the dowle down the barrel.
    What you have now is the hydraulic ram that will push the bullet head out. Take care not to break the dowle
    Feck the dowel, you're taking a hammer to the crown of the barrel that way, aren't you?
    I think I'd rather use the cleaning rod; at least that way you know the rod is designed to go down the barrel.

And if you have to do this, it goes without saying, spend a while cleaning out the barrel very thoroughly before using the rifle again, lest anything pyrotechnic happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

seen this happen few times, Get your cleaning rod (if you have a rod) and let it drop down the barrel a few time tapping the head of the bullet it will eventually drop out, no probs. have done this on few occasions for people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Batch numbers for ammo being published wouldn't be a bad idea.

That also works. Especially for a primer only load......sigh.

tac

Batch numbers for ammo being published wouldn't be a bad idea.

Good plan - sadly I can't help as the two shooters concerned and I live in hugely different directions...

I WILL, however, try and find out and post here.

tac

• Advertisement

i rang the shop i bought the gun in mulvahills in ballymahon
    he couldnt of been more helpful he told me to call down he unblocked the gun
    gave me a set of rods just on the off chance it happens again
    done a few test fires we then had coffee and i was on my way very very pleased
    the dealers in dublin should take note this is what you call customer service
    cheers to everybody for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Well done,

One of the guys in a gun club I was a member of a few years ago got seriously injured with a bullet stuck in the barrel

Basically hand loading , forgot the powder, the primer forced the projectile half way up the barrel and the next round caused the barrel to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yep, David there is sound and he'll look after you well... glad your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

About 12 years ago I had a Winchester 9422 lever action in 22WMR. I was using Federal ammo. I was shooting away at bunnies with it when it went pop instead of bang!! A bullet was 3/4 way up the barrel. With a plastic coated rod I was tapped it out. no harm done. I sent the ammo box backt o Federal expressing my concerns. They sent me a $10USD cheque for a new box of ammo. Guess what. I didn't spend it on Federal ammo lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

This reminds me of a reliable story from one of the boys in blue the family knew. An armed detective returned fire on an armed bank robber and missed at what he thought was point blank range. Instead of shooting again the bad guy promptly dropped his gun and bailed head first into the getaway car. The detective thought: a. How did I miss and b. I am so lucky not to be shot.
    His gun went for ballistics because it was used in a shooting (or so the story goes) and sometime after that he was shown his pistol with the round tightly wedged half way up the barrel (at the time it was Eastern Block ammo being issued)
    Moral of the story: 'Do not believe that line in the government tenders ‘the lowest bidder will not necessarily be awarded the contract’.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

Found out today what happens if you fire a .17HMR when the bullet from the previous shot is still in the barrel.

No one hurt, thank God. All I can say is that I will never use Remington .17HMR again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dachipster wrote: »
    Found out today what happens if you fire a .17HMR when the bullet from the previous shot is still in the barrel.
    No one hurt, thank God. All I can say is that I will never use Remington .17HMR again.

Glad to hear noone was hurt. Care to write it up for the safety thread?

Just checked it out, great thread. I will write something up this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

If you could get your hands on a brass bar even as it wont scratch the metal and wont break up when you whack it.??Its an idea I suppose. I can imagine how tight that is going to be. Must be poor brand of ammo you are using?

• Advertisement

We were expecting the bullets to be welded in the barrel. Anyway we poured a little oil down the barrel and decided to see where the mess was stuck in the barrel with a cleaning rod. Pushed the rod down the barrel and felt a little resistance but the rod kept going until a bullet popped out the other end of the barrel. The first bullet must have been pushed out. The bullet that popped out was missing the tip.

We were using Remington and will never use them again as we found one of the remaining bullets in the box with damage to the side of the casing.

Still have the bullet we retrieved and the dud round still full of powder.

Advertisement