Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campagnolo -v- Shimano

• 03-02-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Doing some research on upgrading the machine. Does anyone know or have a link that has information on Campagnolo sets and where they compare to Shimano.

In other words what is the Camp equivalent of Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace etc...

Have a few models in mind but some have the Shimano sets and some have the Camp sets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It is a religious question and especially so given the recent upgrades. So are you comparing Campagnolo 11 speed with the new Ultegra 6700/DA 7900 etc.

End of the day it is very difficult to get any concrete view on this.

Here's a view to kick things off, I may need to go to bed before this thread really gets going:

Di2 (of course)
    Super Record = Record (only difference is some weight weenism) = Dura Ace 7900
    10sp Record = Dura Ace 7800
    11sp Chorus = Ultegra 6700
    10sp Chorus
    Athena
    Ultegra 6600
    Centaur
    Veloce
    Tiagra
    Sora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

One comparison you can make between Shimano and Campagnolo equipment is by comparing prices for groupsets and individual items. There are also differences in terms of availability of triple and compact setups between the manufacturers.

At the end of the day, IMHO, it probably comes down to personal preference in particular concerning the type and design of the brake / gear levers which, as you know, are quite different one from another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There are no DIRECT comparisons between different manufacturers, really all you can compare is weight and price.

http://trigearreview.com/forms/Article.aspx?REVID=532

How much are you able to spend on groupset? What do you like about your shimano setup and what bugs you about it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

But only one brand goes to 11:)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    There are no DIRECT comparisons between different manufacturers, really all you can compare is weight and price.
    And functionality.

To be honest the main issue between groupsets is how comfortable you find the shifter hood.

• Advertisement

Another factor to consider is replacement parts. Campy seem to be pretty expensive, especially if you go for something super exotic like super record. 350 euro for a spare cassette on CRC!

If you aren't racing, concerned about weight or snob factor but still want a great groupset (which oddly would still be suited for all the above), Ultegra 6700, Campagnolo Athena or SRAM Force are all around the same price. It really boils down to functional preferences about shifting, aesthetics and comfort then.

blorg wrote: »
    And functionality.

To be honest the main issue between groupsets is how comfortable you find the shifter hood.

That's all in the link, I just didn't want to go quoting something I hope he was going to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Did I read somewhere that the chain tool needed for the Campy 11 speed is a bit spendy?

Edit: Computer says yes...

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=T0087

...are cheaper versions available (yet)?

Did I read somewhere that the chain tool needed for the Campy 11 speed is a bit spendy?

Look, if you have to ask you can't afford it. You just don't sound like a Campagnolo man to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

blorg wrote: »
    Look, if you have to ask you can't afford it. You just don't sound like a Campagnolo man to me :D

I never said spendy was a bad thing - I was just worried about cheaper versions undermining the euro-chic of the original tool. Ahem... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Comparing Shimano to Campagnolo is like comparing a Toyota to Ferrari. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Di2 - Super record
    Dura Ace - Record
    Ultegra - Chorus
    105 - Athena
    tiagra - Centaur
    Sora - Veloce

..or something.

[goes to make pop corn, and fetch worms]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Comparing Shimano to Campagnolo is like comparing a Toyota to Ferrari. :)

You mean like on the motorway both can only legally do 120kmph ... but on the quays you look like a tool doing 30kmph in the Ferrari ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The answer to your question is SRAM.

Force, preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I would agree with blorg and Dirk here. For example my carbon Centaur is lighter than Dura ace (or to be specific was at the time I bought it) but my shifters and generally the gears are very "sensitive" and need every 3rd ride tuning. The 105 with at least 5 times more the kms of centaur, are still working perfectly, never given me a problem if when the bike was filthy like hell.

As far as the looks are concerned, I would choose again and again Campagnolo over anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Everyone just uses a quick-release link that can be bought for about 8 euro to solve that problem.

Went from Shimano to Campagnolo and will never consider anything less now.

Campagnolo spares might be pricey but all equipment is fully serviceable and spares are well cataloged.

me@ucd wrote: »
    Di2 - Super record
    Dura Ace - Record
    Ultegra - Chorus
    105 - Athena
    tiagra - Centaur
    Sora - Veloce

..or something.

This is just plain wrong. Centaur is more equivalent to Ultegra and certainly well above 105.

Campagnolo are two steps ahead! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AstraMonti wrote: »
    my shifters and generally the gears are very "sensitive" and need every 3rd ride tuning.

If you have to tune it this often, there's something wrong I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Cheers lads for the info. Was pretty much thinking price range they'd be around the same spec/standard. I must admit I am picky when it comes to shifters and the whole comfort factor there.

I do have a liking for SRAM though. They look the sh!t!

For fans of Campagnolo, it is most important to express the qualities of the equipment with a word ordering that is seems like it has passed through Google Translate several times.

So lightweight, yes, but that particular sense of style that is not so much about grams, but so much with feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    For fans of Campagnolo, it is most important to express the qualities of the equipment with a word ordering that is seems like it has passed through Google Translate several times.

Thumb button, hood shape, multiple upshifts = good

el tonto wrote: »
    Thumb button

Shimano have that too, on Sora.

nelson_haha.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ponderaabel

I guess camp is equal to ultegra

Shimano have that too, on Sora.

To small, poorly positioned and no multiple upshifts though. They should have copied Campagnolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

me@ucd wrote: »
    Di2 - Super record
    Dura Ace - Record
    Ultegra - Chorus
    105 - Athena
    tiagra - Centaur
    Sora - Veloce

..or something.

Campy's older Xenon and Mirage were equivalent to Sora and Tiagra respectively. Campy's offerings now start with Veloce which is more or less equivalent to 105. They just don't line up opposite each other like this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

chakattack wrote: »
    Everyone just uses a quick-release link that can be bought for about 8 euro to solve that problem.

Really? Excellent. Any chance of a link to that link?

@ Rottenhat

Wipperman Connex as recommended to me by Mr Skeff. Just search CRC

Works a charm and I can take the chain off easily if needs be.

chakattack wrote: »
    @ Rottenhat

Wipperman Connex as recommended to me by Mr Skeff. Just search CRC

Works a charm and I can take the chain off easily if needs be.

For 11 speed Campag chains? I thought the connex links only went up to 10sp.

edit: this and this might be useful

For 11 speed Campag chains? I thought the connex links only went up to 10sp.

edit: this and this might be useful

My mistake. My experience is with 10 speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The answer to your question is SRAM.

Force, preferably.

I'm with him ^ on this. Always been a Shimano user. Now running Red/Force. I love it. And I can still mix & match SRAM/Shimano freewheels, cassettes and chains.

I would never allow Campagnolo into my house. For 3 reasons:
    • It's basically a whole different engineering standard. I'm not referring to quality - I am referring to compatibility. Right now, I can swap out wheels across multiple bikes and not have to worry about what kind of shifters/chain/cassette/freewheel/derailleur is on what bike or what wheel.
    • The other reason is also related to compatibility. Compatibility of after-market parts. Campag have proprietary chain-set bolt patterns. Price their chain rings some day. When it comes to wear items, I believe it's good to use a system that has multiple suppliers should (inevitably) parts be needed.
    • Campag has always cost more for the same (IMO). Somewhere between 10 and 20%, I believe.

Campag looks great, works well, is innovative, is lightweight. But not worth it to me.

Advertisement