Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car engine smells like rotten egg . . .

• 31-03-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

My car has started to smell really bad, it smells like rotten egg but it's very strong outside the car . . . It's a 2001 1.6 ford focus
    I had my cat and some exhaust parts and lambda sensors replaced few weeks ago if they could cause it .

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

Inside the car I would of said your pollen filter.
    Outside usually from your cat, hopefully someone has the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 minty247

dodgy cat i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

What caused the cat and sensors to fail do you know?

The rotten egg smell is a cat issue, normally caused by unburned fuel(sulphur) getting into the exhaust system. This may indicate another issue which could have been the cause of the your previous cat failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

hydrogen sulphide.
    your cat is bollixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Head gasket? Water from inside the exhaust system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has to be the cat. It's either blocked or just not working

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What exactly do people mean with the replies say it is not working?
    I always assumed if the cat was gone then the car would not run properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Have the battery checked, had the same issue and that was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

DoneDL wrote: »
    Have the battery checked, had the same issue and that was the cause.

Had the same nasty smell with a car once and it was the battery. Didn't sort it for a few days (what a tool :rolleyes:) and all the electrics blew because of it - cost the price of the car itself to sort.

vectra wrote: »
    What exactly do people mean with the replies say it is not working?
    I always assumed if the cat was gone then the car would not run properly?

If the cat is blocked then it won't run properly, if its not functioning for any other reason then the car may run fine, just use more fuel/throw an EML etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

If the cat is blocked then it won't run properly, if its not functioning for any other reason then the car may run fine, just use more fuel/throw an EML etc

Was just wondering that as the Mondeo I had would smell stink of eggs If I gave it a good run, Car seemed to run fine though I did find it liked Loved Petrol.
    Then I had a funny issue with starting at times. Engine would turn over but fail to fire until I turn off the key and try again at which point it would start instantly.
    Maybe the cat was shagged but then again it flew through the NCT,
    She was 02. I bought it in 05 and NCT'd in 06 @ 35k miles.

vectra wrote: »
    Was just wondering that as the Mondeo I had would smell stink of eggs If I gave it a good run, Car seemed to run fine though I did find it liked Loved Petrol.
    Then I had a funny issue with starting at times. Engine would turn over but fail to fire until I turn off the key and try again at which point it would start instantly.
    Maybe the cat was shagged but then again it flew through the NCT,
    She was 02. I bought it in 05 and NCT'd in 06 @ 35k miles.

The smell is not a fault with the cat its self, its cause by unburned fuel ending up in the cat, normally caused by a misfire/timing issue. This in turn damages the cat.

Cat failures are a symptom of a combustion problem, so in the OP's case, its likely that whatever problem caused the first cat to fail hasn't been properly diagnosed and repaired and is now effecting the new cat.

@OP, did you have your timing belt done in the weeks/months leading up to the original cat failure?

Advertisement