Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rat poison

• 26-08-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

is it legal to buy rat poison? i have seen some on sale in woodies and on old posts here saw ref to storm. But i read that storm is only legally certified for indoor use

Are they harmful to other animals or any othe problem I should know about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

No you can buy it but how do you intend to lay the bait? A lot of people use bait boxes along rat runs so its difficult for other creatures to get at the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

Corsendonk wrote: »
    No you can buy it but how do you intend to lay the bait? A lot of people use bait boxes along rat runs so its difficult for other creatures to get at the bait.
    that is what i am not sure of.how do you find rat runs? It is not in my garden but in a friends garden and she says she has seen them
    I read that storm is only allowed indoors

ferguson wrote: »
    that is what i am not sure of.how do you find rat runs? It is not in my garden but in a friends garden and she says she has seen them
    I read that storm is only allowed indoors

Where did you read that? Rats are like mice, they have runs hence the term rat run! They usually stick to the sides of the garden. Place you storm bait in bait boxes alongside the side of the garden were the rats have been seen to run. You most likely seen bait points and boxes around the outside of buildings in the past. You can make a pretty decent homemade version by using old biscuit tins with a rat sized hole cut in each end and the bait block nailed in the middle of the tin. That way you can lift off the lid to see if any bait has been taken.

Where did you read that? Rats are like mice, they have runs hence the term rat run! They usually stick to the sides of the garden. Place you storm bait in bait boxes alongside the side of the garden were the rats have been seen to run. You most likely seen bait points and boxes around the outside of buildings in the past. You can make a pretty decent homemade version by using old biscuit tins with a rat sized hole cut in each end and the bait block nailed in the middle of the tin. That way you can lift off the lid to see if any bait has been taken.
    actually it is Brodifacoum that is certified for indoor use only. sorry, my mistake
    edit it says Flocoumafen is extremely toxic to all mammals and is legally only certified for indoor use.Flocoumafen is storm yes?

actually it is Brodifacoum that is certified for indoor use only. sorry, my mistake
    edit it says Flocoumafen is extremely toxic to all mammals and is legally only certified for indoor use.Flocoumafen is storm yes?

Yes, I checked out the product label and doesn't say its only for indoor use but it does say bait boxes. Where did you get your information from?

If you have an ethical issue with using Storm(if i had seen a rat I would like it dealt with ASAP) perhaps you could check out the hunting forum for ferrets. Maybe someone that lives near you has them. Very effective creatures against rats and rabbits. Not pleasant to watch but any rats that survive will run miles.

• Advertisement

Yes, I checked out the product label and doesn't say its only for indoor use but it does say bait boxes. Where did you get your information from?
    at the link i gave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If you're going to lay rat poison the best thing is to buy a length of drainpipe and put it right down in the middle of that (and put the pipe at the side of the garden), so cats, etc can't get it. Be sure to dispose of the remains of the poison once it's done its job.

And any bodies you find; cats and dogs often get poisoned by eating the corpses of poisoned rats and mice.

at the link i gave

UK website, pesticide approval can differ in different countries which rodenticides are classed under, unless your based in the Uk and not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

use the stuff with the hole in the centre, you tie it with wire or nail it to a piece of wood, the rats usually hoad the stuff more so than eat it, if it cannot be moved the gnaw it away, it is essincial to leave them water to drink nearby, dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.

flutered wrote: »
    use the stuff with the hole in the centre, you tie it with wire or nail it to a piece of wood, the rats usually hoad the stuff more so than eat it, if it cannot be moved the gnaw it away, it is essincial to leave them water to drink nearby, dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.

The stuff with the hole in the centre is called Storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ac08400

Storm is very effective. If using outside, do use a bait box or piece of pipe so birds etc. will not get at it. Do not nail the bait down. Storm takes about 3 days to kill them, and they will take it back to their nest for family. The 3 day thing is deliberate. Rats are clever. If something makes them feel sick quickly they vomit and will not touch it any more. They love storm and will take lots of it before it starts to effect them. I had a rat under my sink and he took about 20 pieces of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

flutered wrote: »
    dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.

Not what my vet said when he regretfully put my beloved cat to sleep after a couple of weeks of trying to treat it for the poisoning from eating a poisoned mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭creedp

Hi, been reading this thread with interst this morning as last night I caught a rat in one of my cuboards and disposed of it humanely. However, my wife is petrified that the presence of the rat will result in the children contracting all kinds of diseases including weil's disease which I have been informed has a 7 -13 day incubation period but if caught early can be sucessfully treated.

I was hoping to disinfect the said cuboard and set a trap in there in case another rat arrives - they seem to be getting in at the rear of the cuboard where the previous owner/developer located the ESB meter and as the house is drylined the rat can seemingly crawl behind the drylining and up behind the cuboard and into it via the hole left for the meter - but she want to call in Rentakill or equivalent to make sure the house is clear.

Is there a benefit to betting in Rentakill in this circumstance? What will they do other than to set traps? In people's experience, if there is one rat will there be more? I would be slow to poison rats indoors because I'd be afraid they would die behind the drylining and stink the place!

All comments welcome!

Thanks

creedp wrote: »
    Hi, been reading this thread with interst this morning as last night I caught a rat in one of my cuboards and disposed of it humanely. However, my wife is petrified that the presence of the rat will result in the children contracting all kinds of diseases including weil's disease which I have been informed has a 7 -13 day incubation period but if caught early can be sucessfully treated.

I was hoping to disinfect the said cuboard and set a trap in there in case another rat arrives - they seem to be getting in at the rear of the cuboard where the previous owner/developer located the ESB meter and as the house is drylined the rat can seemingly crawl behind the drylining and up behind the cuboard and into it via the hole left for the meter - but she want to call in Rentakill or equivalent to make sure the house is clear.

Is there a benefit to betting in Rentakill in this circumstance? What will they do other than to set traps? In people's experience, if there is one rat will there be more? I would be slow to poison rats indoors because I'd be afraid they would die behind the drylining and stink the place!

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Have you tried using the foam filler to fill the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭creedp

I have already purchased a can of the stuff and will plug the hole once I think I have got rid of them using either traps or poison. Given that I know they use this hole to access the cuboard I am going to use it as a base for my 'operation rat removal'!

I have already purchased a can of the stuff and will plug the hole once I think I have got rid of them using either traps or poison. Given that I know they use this hole to access the cuboard I am going to use it as a base for my 'operation rat removal'!

insert 2 different types of of rat poison into the hole some water in a container if you can, then shove some newespaper inside also, then use the foam filler, sugar laced with hardwall has used around here very effectvly, before the poison became freely advailable, the sugar was attractive to the rats, who had to ingest the hardwall at the same time, a little water when drank down on this mixture ensured fatal results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's unlikely rats are living in the house but rather accessing it when they require food... If possible you need to find the outermost access point and block it there. If you only block the hole at the back of the press they will knaw round the back of the presses and gain assess again..

If you lay poison outside the rats are unlikely to enter the house and die.. As stated before laying poison outdoors needs to be done securely.. I use a bucket with a lid, cut two small access holes in the bottom like open doors, small enough to prevent other animals/children accessing it. Rats like to feel secure and hidden, this is why the pipe or bucket helps the uptake of poison..
    I use storm blocks, 3 at a time, break up two into small pieces and dust and leave one whole. The pieces will be eaten on the spot and the last brought back to the nest to share.

In general they don't like open clear spaces, be sure to tidy round the house well, if building materials or something are stored against the house this will give them shelter to be near the house and find a way in..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

All comments welcome!

Thanks

For that very reason, better to use traps indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Use live traps - available in Woodies. Much safer & no risk to other animals.

them woodies traps need to be tied to something, otherwise if the rat is not killed immedietly it walks away with the trap, also if only a leg is caught the rat will gnaw the leg above where its caught then hobble away.

• Advertisement

I am referring to the big cage traps that catch a rat without harming it. Even rats are protected by cruelty legislation in that it is an offence to cause unnecessary suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Discodog wrote: »
    I am referring to the big cage traps that catch a rat without harming it. Even rats are protected by cruelty legislation in that it is an offence to cause unnecessary suffering.

lol....

Can I ask what you intend to do with the rat when you catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Can I ask what you intend to do with the rat when you catch it?

Maybe he plans to buy it a meal and put it up in a B&B overnight to help it over it's trauma...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

tm2204 wrote: »
    Maybe he plans to buy it a meal and put it up in a B&B overnight to help it over it's trauma...

:D

Mods should move this to the funny forum, my sides are in pieces.
    Thanks guys.
    Personally I like to break the storm into pieces and mix with melted butter or throw it in the pan after a fry and then set it... the pied piper would be jealous with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Have found a burrow today in the garden, hate the thought of rats being around.

So should I put down full blocks of storm first to let them bring the posion back to the nest or should I just put down the crushed blocks straight away. Also, I have a cat and dog will they eat any dead rats they find around the place, if they do would I be better off getting a trap like below and do these work?

http://www.lkpoultry.com/categories/Vermin-and-pest-control/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

I had a problem with rats in the garden last winter, a pest control friend of mine advised me to do this, it did work.
    Break the Storm into large bits for one to two days, they'll take these bits back to the nest. After that break it smaller, they'll eat this straight away. As said before rats are intellegent and will not eat something they know makes them sick, Storm takes upto 10 days to fully work. Keep repeating the smaller bits of bait daily until it is no longer been taken, you know then it has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The stuff with the hole in the centre is called Storm.

Is that the blue circular stuff ? - neighbour of mine gave me some but it wasn't in a box, so been trying to trace what it is before using it - he's not sure himself.

I have a small tree outside that has fat balls on for the birds & found two rats climbing up the branches, so keen to rectify - incidentally there's a direct 6" 'run' to it between the patio and the fence, so probably the route used

ABEasy wrote: »
    Have found a burrow today in the garden, hate the thought of rats being around.

Get used to it. When you have killed those rats more will move in. Every garden has rats but most people don't notice them. I find it so strange that many who enjoy gardening & watching nature flourish are some of the keenest to kill it. So bizarre to want to feed one wild animal whilst killing another. We love to act as God & Jury in deciding which animal is good or bad. We scatter slug pellets around & end up killing the species that eat slugs.

Do bear in mind that dogs, cats & wildlife including helpful species like hedgehogs are killed by rat poison. My Vet knows of a recent case where the Rats carried poison out of a burrow & into the open where the dog got to it & died.

• Advertisement

Get used to it. When you have killed those rats more will move in. Every garden has rats but most people don't notice them. I find it so strange that many who enjoy gardening & watching nature flourish are some of the keenest to kill it. So bizarre to want to feed one wild animal whilst killing another. We love to act as God & Jury in deciding which animal is good or bad. We scatter slug pellets around & end up killing the species that eat slugs.

I don't like using storm myself, seen too many idiots scatter it like confetti and kill cats/dogs accidentally. When I do use it, I use bait boxes and dispose of the corspe safely if I can.

I much prefer to use nature on nature. A friend keeps ferrets and they don't give rats a chance, jack russell dog breed were bred to be ratters and I keep a couple of half wild cats one of whom has worked out that it gets an extra food ration when it drops a rats head on my doorstep.

Advertisement