Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

colon wrote: »
    I would have thought that people running for a political/administrative role should be made of sterner stuff. Again a damming indictment on the calibre of person that the union attracts.

Oh indeed! I 100% agree! This forum should be a place where we come and have no rules and personally abuse everyone running for the sabbat team! Twill help toughen 'em up! I mean who cares if no one actually debates the real issues and just goes round in circles making pointless snide remarks about people's character?

[/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Ooooh the skin is indeed paper thin 'round these parts. Touchy to the point of turning anyone that was interested in this election apathetic towards its canidates or outcome. Unless of course we're talking about the usual clique....

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

By usual clique I assume you mean the people who engage with the union?

Who better to be a sabbat?

Dare i say mabey someone like your old friend Cambridge. Mabey the union needs an almighty shake. Back to my original point of "not the usual type".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dare i say mabey someone like your old friend Cambridge. Mabey the union needs an almighty shake. Back to my original point of "not the usual type".

You have actually read cambridge's posts yeah?

• Advertisement

Oh right - so basically someone who knows how to
    use the position as a stepping stone to somewhere else
    apparently wants to work for free
    is excellent at alienating people
    expresses little interest in several courses
    has a dubious views on the value of education
    appears to not understand what the scope and limits of the role actually are.....*

Now we really ARE adding to the debate.

Let cambridge come out from behind his keyboard and go for it sure nobody is denying him the right to do that. Personally I would love to see that, but I doubt there's a single person who regards him as anything more than a troll. He simply won't go for it because he's a made up caricature.

Tony

*all are personal opinions on how cambridge has presented himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Ah pitbull face give it a rest will you! No one wants you as president we want cambridge so step slowly away from the keyboard!

Still wondering if you'll give us your name or do we just refer to you as "Lurk" or "dogfood"?

I must say though, it's very flattering that cambridge and his apparent supporters (himself - it must be lonely) insist on ignoring the fact that I have stated clearly that I wouldn't ever consider going for SU president. I can only assume that somewhere inside you feel that I could actually be good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

wouldnt like to see you in a sabbatical role at all with that face on you, never mind your holier than thou attitude.

glad to hear you're not running anyway

I just figured out who you are and it explains a lot.....

ohtonyyoure128654657970433265.jpg

P.S. I didn't say I wasn't running - I just said I wasn't running for president.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You have actually read cambridge's posts yeah?

Yes, and after reviewing some of them again I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's his attributes that seem to scare ye most. Someone at the head of the union that has the courage of their convictions, who doesn't suffer fools gladly, that wont accept ineptitude as the norm and cover it up. Someone that has a fresh approach to the post and is willing and able to revitalise it. He or his type might not be the "popular" choice but in times of crisis maybe they are our only option.

Yes, and after reviewing some of them again I've come to the conclusion that maybe it's his attributes that seem to scare ye most. Someone at the head of the union that has the courage of their convictions, who doesn't suffer fools gladly, that wont accept ineptitude as the norm and cover it up. Someone that has a fresh approach to the post and is willing and able to revitalise it. He or his type might not be the "popular" choice but in times of crisis maybe they are our only option.

You're entitled to your wrong opinion. I've got better things to do than go through his old posts to pick out all the ones where he was blatantly trolling and personally abusing the posters of this forum.
    I will concede that when he actually debated the issues, even though his views were at odds with a lot of my own, he presented his views very well. But sadly, (as is the case with most trolls) these posts were far and few in between.
    Though I anxiously await the final list of candidates. I'll be very disappointed if we don't see "John Cambridge" on the ballot.

So which part of my "wrong opinion" would not be an advantage to an incoming president and what are the values that you would think important if not these.

So which part of my "wrong opinion" would not be an advantage to an incoming president and what are the values that you would think important if not these.

You say some who has "the courage of their convictions". That's fine, except cambridge's particular convictions would likely be at odds with the vast majority of the student body who he would be representing. The SU President is not there to further their own agenda or career, they are elected to represent us to the best of their ability.
    I would also consider his confrontational nature to be a very worrying trait for any elected representative. If he were to be elected and carry on in board meetings the way he carried on here, the Union would quickly become non-functioning. He would be stone-walled by University authorities and students alike.
    If confidence in the Union is going to be restored among the student body, then we need a president who doesn't alienate people further. Get someone with cambridge's attitude problems and people will eventually stop engaging with the Union, and it will become even more of a clique than it already is.

That's all I'm saying on this. He's banned. It still remains to see if he's a genuine candidate. If he is, then we should discuss his policies more. Until then it seems nonsensical to fill page after page of posts on what will most likely turn out to be another troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davozc

nice and calm around here with cambridge gone......when is he back? im bored !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I hear Thomas Ryan got on so well with Cian Spillane last week that he thinks the two of them would work well together

**sits back with popcorn**

(yes, I know, I shouldn't be encouraging ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

ninty9er wrote: »
    I hear Thomas Ryan got on so well with Cian Spillane last week that he thinks the two of them would work well together

Yes but ninty9er, you know that Mr Ryan wouldn't be able to run for any other sabbatt position this year as you can only run for one position a year!!

Toushe!!

ninty9er wrote: »

Encouraging your own crew to work well together is what you should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes but ninty9er, you know that Mr Ryan wouldn't be able to run for any other sabbatt position this year as you can only run for one position a year!!

Toushe!!
    You can only hold one position. Elections are a different matter.

Toutouche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

I heard that Hugh O Brien is going to run for president.

I'd vote for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Enda Costello was showing an interest in running for President too so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

davozc wrote: »
    nice and calm around here
    ninty9er wrote:

Well, so much for that!
    :pac:
    yuppy700 wrote:

I'd vote for him

As would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Frostie22

yuppy700 wrote: »

I'd vote for him

I've also heard similar rumours.

I believe the race for President will have more participants than the 09/10 election where 5 people ran. Right now, I'd believe Rockett, Kelly O'Brien, Canning to be certs. I'd feel that Kenny is still up in the air between running for re-election either as President/Education or finishing her degree. I had heard previously that Lily Carroll was considering running for CSO. Now that the position is defunct I wonder will she run for another? I did overhear several students on Thursday say that Adam Moursey was considering running for a position, though I doubt it with him being in 3rd year although I barely know him only through C&S dealings so I could be wrong. Would Enda Gallery run again? He ran a cheap campaign last year from the pictures I saw (I was on Erasmus) but he pulled in a huge amount of support. He could be a strong candidate if he chose to run. I firmly believe that Deirdre Wilson will run for something, probably welfare. If she does, I think she'll do a terrific job.

There will always be a few curveballs though that barely anyone was expeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

With all that competition there is bound to be a lot of showing off going on and I hope that there will be a few blogs keeping up with the action like www.ulsuelect.com last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

That was great reading...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

I heard Aoife Kenny is definitely running and Kelly O'Brien is definitely not. Who knows though? have to wait til close of nominations to tell for sure.

I think either have the skills and experience to be great president.

I remember Kelly posting on FB that she was looking for jobs for when she's done. Obviously that's not exactly a confirmation either way, but I doubt she'll run. Shame, I honestly think she'd make a great president.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

to be honest i dont think kelly would be suited to the role

as president you have to be a lot more restrained than what she has been
    no doubt she would be capable work wise

if comms was still around and she was running i would vote for her no question

freyners wrote: »
    to be honest i dont think kelly would be suited to the role

as president you have to be a lot more restrained than what she has been
    no doubt she would be capable work wise

if comms was still around and she was running i would vote for her no question

Granted the whole Paddy Rockett-Facebook shíte wasn't exactly her crowning glory this year, and her posts on this forum in particular were less than helpful, I believe she must have learned from these mistakes. And I don't think anyone could argue that she's probably achieved the most of her manifesto promises of any sabbat this year. She'd be a cert for my vote if CO was still around, and she'd be definitely up there among the serious contenders if she were to go for President.

(Obviously, this is just my own view, and should not be construed as that of ULFM, Newslunch, ULSU, or any other such shíte as that)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Paddy Rockett should be an ents officer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement