Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're not the only one, I was severely disappointed in Phantom Hourglass. If just felt all wrong and was way too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought it was fantastic. Easy, yes, but still great. I'd much rather control Link with a stylus then a Wiimote and nunchuck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the Wiimote and nunchuk worked great and didn't give me hand cramps.

Master of the Universe

Serious? I find the nunchuck fine, but pointing the Wiimote at the screen for extended periods of time is incredibly uncomfortable.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Serious? I find the nunchuck fine, but pointing the Wiimote at the screen for extended periods of time is incredibly uncomfortable.

Well I don't find pointing at the screen too much. I just rest my hand on my legs and it's just small motions, nothing tiring at all. In twilight princess you hardly have to point at the screen anyway.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just rest my hand on my legs and it's just small motions, nothing tiring at all.

Want to comment. I'm sure children read this forum...so I won't. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Hmmm, I've got Final Fantasy 9 and 10 here, wondering which one to play... I loved 6 and 7, found the junctioning system of 8 a little too confusing. Which should I go for?

Start with 9. It's the best since FF6 for me.

Master of the Universe

Indeed, go with IX. X is a load of balls. And I'm not talking about the ones Wakka throws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

9 it is! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just finished a replaythrough of MGS3: Snake Eater

absolutly brilliant game. Hopefully the HD remake of the first 3 games is true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Been playing Doom 3 on my laptop. Played through the game on the Xbox already but it's a better experience on the PC. I have an excellent set of Microsoft LifeChat headphones - I cannot play the game in the dark. The atmosphere is really unsettling. I wish my gfx card was better, it's only 64mb but does a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

nearly through the first medal of honour on the ps1-
    never finished it first time 'round!
    VARE ARE YOUR PAYPAHS??????
    HOO ISS YA KAMMANDING OVISSUHH??????
    good times.

Master of the Universe

Started playing Alan Wake the other night. Seems interesting, but after about three hours the fighting has me bored already. Same characters over and over. Then when a situation arises where a substantial character could be an interesting fight..they just turn into the same generic bad guy. Boring.

Anyway, Something seemed very familiar about the style of it. Then I realized - Max Payne!

So I googled Alan Wake to see if anyone else thought it was a bit of a Max Payne rip off (minus the fun gunplay) and it turns out it's made by the same people. I did not know that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played a bit of Disneys Epic Mickey and its not half bad, my 7 year old is really enjoying it and while, yes, it does feel like a 3D platformer from 3 years ago, it is very impressive none the less, the depth of detail is great and if you happen to be of an age to appreciate Disney history and memorabilia then this is for you.
    And it's as cheap as chips at the mo.

Currys/Pc World in Airside, Swords still have two copies of Sin And Punishment 2 for 20 each, also Singularity for the 360 for a tenner.
    I picked up Beatles Rock Band for a fiver, thats the game only before you get too excited.
    I was looking at Pokemon HeartGold for my boy, it was only 19.99, but it didn't come with the Pokewalker, as far as I know it is standard but the daft twat behind the counter insisted I was thinking of some "special edition".
    What a muppet, looks like games shops don't have a monopoly on ill informed, heck, downright wrong, staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Playing Vice City at the moment ... so happy that the PS3 I have is backwards compatible. I should really try to finish off Shadow of the Colossus come to think of it. Also bought Resident Evil 4 off a guy on adverts the other week as well, so a lot of PS2 stuff to keep me busy.

Might try out Loaded (for the PS1) on it over the weekend, see if that works and if it is as difficult as I recall..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Had a crack at Final Fight CD again tonight, it's not that easy - atleast for me. Going to have to put the practice in on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Playing link to the past in preparation for the gameathon next week.

I haven't played it in years. The strange thing is, I will go into a dungeon and have no idea where to go, yet almost every choice I make is the correct one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Picked up a SNES with Super Mario World and Syndicate during the week, so have been playing both. Used to play Syndicate Wars on PS1 (which I thought was excellent!), so I picked up the SNES prequel. Quite good I must say, they crammed a lot onto the cart, although there are some slightly annoying aspects to it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am heading into town today with my son and his cousins to a trad fest, may try to contrive a trip to Fade St to have wee look see.
    Also I have a trip to Balbriggan market to look forward to in the morning!
    We'll if you don't go you'll never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Currys/Pc World in Airside, Swords still have two copies of Sin And Punishment 2 for 20 each, also Singularity for the 360 for a tenner.
    I picked up Beatles Rock Band for a fiver, thats the game only before you get too excited.

Goddammit I was in there on Wednesday evening and didn't see that there. I popped in again this morning but no joy either. A little pissed off I then went into Harvey Norman's a few doors down.

All I walked away with was a sealed Zelda: Spirit Tracks for 6euro... not a bad start to the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Just finished a replaythrough of MGS3: Snake Eater

absolutly brilliant game. Hopefully the HD remake of the first 3 games is true
    If it is ill be buying a copy come release day, only downside is they will probabaly bundle the gamecube version of mgs1 (lot of complaints about shooting in first person making the game too each and also some dialog changed and the mgs2 cast used to record all the dialog opposed to the original cast)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just finished Zelda Oracle of ages

Getting into Oracle of seasons now :D

After that all i have to beat are The minish cap and Spirit tracks for the full Set :cool:

I think some one is forgetting the CDi games :D

THEY DO NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master of the Universe

Have you ever played them? I think it was you who said they weren't as bad as everyone made out?

Have you ever played them? I think it was you who said they weren't as bad as everyone made out?

*sticks fingers in ears*

lalalalalalalalalalalalalala
    :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

animation_debut2.jpg

Nope I said HG101 had an article up about them (a damn good one with original developer interviews and everything) talking about how they are decent games and unfairly ridiculed. Can't say I played them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Nope I said HG101 had an article up about them (a damn good one with original developer interviews and everything) talking about how they are decent games and unfairly ridiculed. Can't say I played them myself.

at the very least the music was quite good in them.

If you've seen the AVGN review of them, this is played throughout his video. Memorable :)

Advertisement