Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball must hit bottom of cup?

• 26-05-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Guy chips in from fringe, ball rests against the flag in the hole without fully dropping. I'm next to putt, remove flag and another guy calls penalty against guy who chipped in because the ball didnt hit bottom of the cup.

Question is, if the ball hasnt/wont move and flag needs to be removed what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

esker man wrote: »
    Guy chips in from fringe, ball rests against the flag in the hole without fully dropping. I'm next to putt, remove flag and another guy calls penalty against guy who chipped in because the ball didnt hit bottom of the cup.

Question is, if the ball hasnt/wont move and flag needs to be removed what happens?

Rubbish - If the flag comes out and the ball falls into the hole then it was holded by the last shot i.e. the chip shot - no penalty. Where do these guys get these notions about the rules !

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Did you hand the ball back to the other player without allowing the ball to drop into the hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭esker man

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Rubbish - If the flag comes out and the ball falls into the hole then it was holded by the last shot i.e. the chip shot - no penalty. Where do these guys get these notions about the rules !

Ah, sorry, in removing the flag I lifted out the ball, so technically the ball didnt hit the bottom of the cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

I'm not 100%, but I think the ball does have to be below the line of the hole. There may be some phraseology with regards to nomination, but I'd imagine as playing partners you're covered.

I know for a fact that you cannot remove the ball if it is still above the hole, while resting against the flag pole.

Basically, if this happens in the future, allow the person who chipped in, to adjust the flag, and take the ball from the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

AldilaMan wrote: »

I believe as long as the entire ball is below the surface of the green then it's considered holed. If it was not and the ball does not drop into the hole when the flag stick is removed, then the ball should be replaced on the lip without penalty. The player still has not holed out, if he doesn't then he occurs whatever penalty applicable. So the guy might be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

esker man wrote: »
    Ah, sorry, in removing the flag I lifted out the ball, so technically the ball didnt hit the bottom of the cup?

Bang....into the arena of penalties and "you shouldn't have done that"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

So, did the ball come out when you took the flag out ? How did the guy know the ball hadn't hit the bottom of the cup ? I'm not really sure I follow the sequence of events.

As far as I know, and I don't have a copy of the rules handy so I'm happy to stand corrected, I think amateurs must remove the flag before the ball.

Pros don't have to, and can pick the ball out without removing the flag.

Edit: just seen the post where you say you basically took the ball out with the flag, thats not allowed I'm almost sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pitchnputtking

Yes the ball has to hit the bottom of the cup.

If its wedged and not gone done u can remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop.

Pulling the flag and thus removing the ball too is not allowed

Yes the ball has to hit the bottom of the cup.

If its wedged and not gone done u can remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop.

Pulling the flag and thus removing the ball too is not allowed

From the R&A rulebook -

"Holed
    A ball is “holed” when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole
    and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole".

http://www.randa.org/~/media/RandA/Downloads%20and%20Free%20Publications/RULES%20OF%20GOLF%202008-2011%20Pocket%20Edition.ashx

what if all of the ball is not below the surface.

• Advertisement

what if all of the ball is not below the surface.

Then it's not holed, as per the definition I posted.

From the R&A rulebook -

"Holed
    A ball is “holed” when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole
    and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole".

http://www.randa.org/~/media/RandA/Downloads%20and%20Free%20Publications/RULES%20OF%20GOLF%202008-2011%20Pocket%20Edition.ashx

Guess that settles it then

Then it's not holed, as per the definition I posted.
    Ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You removed it not him, so he gets to replace it and then remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop correctly.
    He would not be penalised for you interfering with his ball.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It's not a penalty to do it (assuming it wasn't a match) but it's dumb ;)
    You should have replaced the flag and the ball and allow the player to remove the flag himself (in such a way as the ball would drop).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Rule 17 - The Flagstick

17-4 Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player’s ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorised by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Russman wrote: »

As far as I know, and I don't have a copy of the rules handy so I'm happy to stand corrected, I think amateurs must remove the flag before the ball.

Pros don't have to, and can pick the ball out without removing the flag.
    Nonsense, where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

GreeBo wrote: »

Although he might enjoy it 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Licksy wrote: »
    You should have replaced the flag and the ball and allow the player to remove the flag himself (in such a way as the ball would drop).
    GreeBo wrote: »
    You removed it not him, so he gets to replace it and then remove the flag in a way that allows the ball to drop correctly.

Are you sure about that one guys?

I thought the player that hit the ball does in fact forfeit his chance of getting the ball into the hole without playing another stroke if some removes the ball as in this case, or the ball does not drop when someone else removes the flag. If someone does that, then the ball is placed on the edge of the hole and so he is obliged to play a stroke to hole it. On the basis that you are unlikely to realistically be able to replace it leaning against the flagstick. I remember getting advice to refrain from attempting to remove the flagstick in such a situation and wait for the player to try his luck himself, so as not to possibly cost him a stroke. Admit I cant remember where though.

fullstop wrote: »
    Nonsense, where did you get that from?

I thought I remembered it from a few years ago, as I said, I'm happy to stand corrected on it. I was sure there was some incident that stuck in my mind. Maybe it was one of those rules that was changed 2 or 3 years ago. Then again, maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Are you sure about that one guys?

You are indeed. Learn something everyday.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-17/#17-4/3

Advertisement