Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JET programme.

• 09-10-2011 6:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

Basically you need to have an undergrad degree and be a native English language speaker. So has anyone done it? What were your experiances like and how did Japan compare with your preconceptions of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

There are a few current and former JETs who post on boards. I didn't have too many preconceptions about Japan before leaving home, just ready for adventure and all things new and bizarre. Japan certainly hasn't disappointed! As long as you are willing to throw yourself into everything and are not an otaku gamer who wants to spend 24/7 indoors it can be amazing :) Maybe even the otaku gamers are enjoying themselves although I'm not sure how much their lives in Japan differ from their lives at home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Not a JET myself, but I've met quite a few. From what I hear, it can be tough going (particularly during the first few months when you're getting used to everything), but very rewarding. The chances of you ending up in a major city (Tokyo, Osaka, etc) are very low, so make sure that you really want to be in Japan, and it's not that you just like the idea of neon-saturated futuristic metropolis life that so many people seem to think of when they think of Japan.

You don't need to be able to speak Japanese for the job, but I'd really advise learning for your personal time, as you don't want to be the only foreigner in some village in the sticks and not able to communicate with anyone (a couple of people I spoke with who were in this situation were absoutely miserable, and had to travel to the nearest city each weekend just to be able to find another English-speaker to chat with).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Murasaki Ookami

Hi,
    I'm applying this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the, application, eassy(statement of purpose), and maybe advice on the interview, just in case, any general information or help/advice would be cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SoaringPanda

When's the deadline this year ? I didn't get it last year (got the letter informing me on the day I returned from a trip to Tokyo)

I've been thinking of trying again though, especially as I've done some sub teaching in Ireland since and I'm sure I'd get a good reference from the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

When's the deadline this year ?
    2nd of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hey guys, I am a current JET, in Niigata-Ken. I think I have posted before about it.

To answer thr original question - my time here has been absolutely fantastic, so many amazing different experiences, both in work and out, and an amazing experience as a whole. Your experience on JET can vary a lot depending on where you end up, but I think there are positives and negatives for all situations. You also get the same thing no matter where you are, eg everyone speaks Japanese, you'll eat rice etc..

In general Japanese people are fantastic, really interesting and kind, and it's a uniquely interesting culture and place. The country is beautiful, the food is great, and you can live an amazing life as a JET.

I tried not to have any preconceptions before coming. Knowing that there are often conflicting sterotypes is a sign that you can't really assume - i.e. all Japanese people are so friendly and outgoing and they'll shout at you across the street!! // All Japanese people are quiet and to shy to speak to you... Obviously there are cases of both.

I guess I did think the students would have a greater English ability and be more enthusiastic about learning English/having a JET in the classroom. The best way to think of this is a foreign language class at home in Ireland. There'll be clever kids, cool kids, kids who don't care - it's the same.

As for how to apply and a bit more on what it is like, check out youtube or blogs, there is so much media out there it's crazy. Also, if you have random questions, a good place to ask is the official JET Programme forum. If there are any specific questions I can try to answer, but the above forum you'll get many opinions as opposed to just one. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DesmondGAF

Probably a silly question, but if I get a degree in Japanese, what do I need to teach English in Japan? A full English degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

DesmondGAF wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but if I get a degree in Japanese, what do I need to teach English in Japan? A full English degree?

If you mean teach English through the JET scheme, then no, anyway degree would suffice. If you want to fly over yourself and work privately for a company then most places would expect a level of proficiancy in Japanese and a degree/experience in teaching English. This of course varies from organisation to organisation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Sorry to post so late, as the deadline is Friday!

Amazing experience, I've already handed in my re-contracting form for a second year.

The first couple of weeks can be hard going....but I've never looked back and just enjoying my time as an ALT as it ain't forever.

Best of luck to those applying!

It's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Polishing off my personal essay at them moment, and looking forward to a night of stacking and stapling pages to have my application in the post tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Good luck to everyone in their interviews tomorrow! がんばって!

The interviews are already tomorrow?! Wow! Time flies.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Sairus wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone in their interviews tomorrow! がんばって!

Good luck yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

hmm, only seen this thread now! Had my interview yesterday morning, interesting experience to say the least!

Now to play the waiting game for a couple of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

leggit wrote: »
    hmm, only seen this thread now! Had my interview yesterday morning, interesting experience to say the least!

Now to play the waiting game for a couple of months...

Care to elaborate as a guide for next year's JETs.

Thanks

Can't comment on leggit's experience, but I'll give you a quick version of mine.

Basically, every interview is different. There are about 4-5 rooms doing interviews and usually it will be three people, at least one of whom will be Japanese and at least one who will be Irish.

I did very little preparation for this (I generally don't for interviews, it can seem stiff and false....for ME anyway, other people thrive on 100% preparation).

The things I did prepare were:

Obviously, dressing appropriately.

Did a quick scan of important Japanese figureheads (name of PM and Emperor for example).

Quickly scanned Japanese news that morning for (then) current affairs.

Prepared a couple of questions. Here, they want to see you having done a least some research into schools and life in Japan. A bad question would be 'What sort of accommodation can I expect (every situation is different, so then can't properly ask it). On the other hand, I asked them how we fit into school life since we begin work in August, but the academic year begins in April.

Everything else is pretty much unpredictable. I got asked how I hoped the program would further my career, and what I saw myself doing after I came back to Ireland (which took me a little off guard).

What REALLY took me off guard was when I was asked if I would be scary for not only the kids, but also some female teachers! (I'm quite tall, beard, buzzcut, play rugby) Stammered my way through though.

If you read online tips for the JET interview (and there are quite a few), be careful of reports from other countries. The interviewers are (obviously) American, and thus may have a different approach to an Irish interviewer (or a South African, or a Canadian etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

thechanger wrote: »
    Care to elaborate as a guide for next year's JETs.

Thanks

I had 3 people (2 girls, 1 guy), all Irish nationals funnily enough despite reading numerous times that one person would be japanese? One had Japanese heritage but was as Irish as a bowl of spuds!

got the usual questions, why Japan/Jet, what do you see yourself doing after Jet, how would you engage in your community.

strange questions were how would you explain that Ireland isn't England to a japanese child? Did I know the member of the Japanese royal family who studied in Ireland?

Didn't get the chance to ask questions.

Turned up 45 minutes early and was asked to go in straightaway! The male interviewer was more nervous than me which I found quite comforting!

I'd be more concerned about telling them the difference between Ireland and Iceland. I'm blue in the face with it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So by now virtually all of the placements have been given out for this year.

While not making the initial cut and placed down as an Alternative, I was recently upgraded to a full JET position and will be heading over in July to Yamanashi-ken.

Did anyone else on here grab a spot?

Congratulations! Nice central area!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

I'd be more concerned about telling them the difference between Ireland and Iceland. I'm blue in the face with it. :/
    My mate's dad is Japanese... first time he came to Ireland in the 70's he brought his skis because he made that very mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

While not making the initial cut and placed down as an Alternative, I was recently upgraded to a full JET position and will be heading over in July to Yamanashi-ken.

Well done on the upgrade! July is really soon, you'd better start packing!

I'll be in Yamanashi prefecture in July too. We're planning to try (again) to climb Mt Fuji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

Congrads, please return with occasional updates throughout your stay in Japan. I plan to apply Dec 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I know this is an old thread but I doubt there's any point in starting a new one since this forum is so small.

What I was wondering is how your grades are like? Cause I'm a bit worried that they'll see I had to repeat a year (really wasn't a good year for me) but I did do well in the repeat year so...

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Don't think that would matter much, probably depends more on the rest of your application, the personal statement and extra curricular activities.

Your impression in the Interview counts for so much. If they bring up your repeated year tell them how it was an opportunity for you to bounce back better than ever, learn from your mistakes etc.

But yeah, shouldn't be a big deal.

Your impression in the Interview counts for so much. If they bring up your repeated year tell them how it was an opportunity for you to bounce back better than ever, learn from your mistakes etc.

But yeah, shouldn't be a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Anybody applying this year? JUst putting my application in the post today - nerves

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

sweetthing wrote: »
    Anybody applying this year? JUst putting my application in the post today - nerves

Good luck with your application! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

sweetthing wrote: »

Best of luck!

Advertisement