Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Woah haha nice thread, alri im sorry about this but i just started studying and im not sure where to go from here, so if anyone has any notes or comments just reply to this. thank you, ok so im going to name the subject and say how im doing. im doing all honours by the way and i just started studying this week

Irish: here i need a good bit of study, i just scraped a c in the mock i got 55 but i cheated in it as my frined already did the paper and told me what was on paper 2, i shouldnt of done it but i wanted to do good, im studying my story which is calua by sean mat mathuna and for the poem reiteoig mharfach by deaglan collinge, my teacher gave us sample answers for these so its all good. i am studying my grammar now, amsir caite,fhaisneach,laithreach,modh chniollach and the tuisseal gineadacht (sorry about spelling). but i mainly need help in the letter,story part of the exam. Really just phrases and good words to use. with the reading and unseen i suppose just practice. Thank you

Geography: i excel in this subject, i find it very easy and dont need much help, i got 83 in my mock

CSPE: haha moving on got 87 so im happy

maths: i do very good in class but struggle at the exams, i suppose just constantly practice and learn off theroems for exam, 58 in exam

french: i just need vocabulary help and letter/postcard/note sentences if possible, got 60 in the mock so a bit of work needed, did ok in comprehensions, just letter and listning area

english: need lots of help here, i had terrible teachers through the 3 years and got 46 on my mock, i have started studying hard now and am reading to kill a mocking birs and the merchant of venice. just looking for notes on the books and sample answers and personal writing help

history: i ask of accounts on people in history and stuff like that, the 1st year stuff i am good at, the 3rd year i find it hard to get my head around sinn fein and all the names, i am ok at world war I and II. i got 77 andyway so it was a good result

junior enginerring: this is pretty predictable so not much help needed

business studies: i have already made notes on this subjects just need a bit of help on accountancy tips and things like that, got 78 so good result

Religon: i need serious help in section 4, i am errible at that section i got 46 in this test and was pretty dissapointed

Science: i am pretty good at this, just need a bit of help on ionic,covaelent bonding and i will just learn off the eye and skeletal system and then im rand

sorry about all this, its alot to ask but any replys are appreciated, Thank you. Rónán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭TadhgSk

Does anyone have any good notes on A Streetcar Named Desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

does anyone have any notes for english?

what accounts (history) should i learn for the junior cert.? :)

well just know these and you should be ok, an explorer, a reformer, an ancient civilisation, a plantation, a monk in a monastery and a leader for irish independance, go through exam papers and make sure you can do at least 4/5 on each

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

does anyone have any notes for english?

Yes but be more specific.

Yes but be more specific.

hi, would you have any merchant of venice or kill a mocking bird notes, thank you

RoRo979 wrote: »
    hi, would you have any merchant of venice or kill a mocking bird notes, thank you

Sorry I do Romeo and Juliet and Roll of thunder hear my cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

Sorry I do Romeo and Juliet and Roll of thunder hear my cry.

I'd love some roll of thunder notes if ya dont mind?? :)

I'd love some roll of thunder notes if ya dont mind?? :)

Yeah on what? :) ... Characters, themes, plots etc etc?

• Advertisement

Yeah on what? :) ... Characters, themes, plots etc etc?

Everything really lol...I don't mind whatever you can.

Everything really lol...I don't mind whatever you can.
    I'll get on it, might take a lil while though :L

I'll get on it, might take a lil while though :L

Thanks, your a legend :D

ROLL OF THUNDER HEAR MY CRY NOTES.

RACISM - THEME

Chapter 1

Racism 1: Cassie and her brothers are terrified to learn that anyone could treat black people the way the Berrys were treated. The idea that someone could want to hurt someone so badly just because of their skin color is very frightening to them. T.J., however, treats the event as simply an interesting story, even though he is black too.

Racism 2: The books that Cassie and the other students are using were used by white children until they were considered too worn out, then they were given to black children. The books even include the race of the student, using the word "nigra." Cassie and Little Man get angry, but everyone else, including the teacher, just accepts what they are given.

Chapter 2

Racism 3: The black townspeople agree that white violence against them is getting worse. Mama is happy to have the strong Mr. Morrison living with them. Everyone worries about what could happen to them, since Mr. Berry was killed and nothing is being done about it.

Chapter 3

Racism 4: As soon as the children think they have gotten revenge on the racist white people, they must give up their happiness and be afraid again, because they think their revenge is going to get them killed. The whole family, who laughed so readily at the bus in the ditch, is forced to be afraid for the rest of the night. They have no idea whether the "night men" will come for them or not. The simply have to wait and hope they can defend themselves.

Chapter 4

Racism 5: Though the black community all agree that the Wallaces are racist and that no one should go there, let alone shop there, people like Mr. Turner have no choice, because they have no money. He can get credit at the Wallace store, but he can't get it anywhere else. He is supporting racism because there is nothing else he can do.

Chapter 5

Racism 6: Cassie is overwhelmed by the racism she experiences in just one day at the market. First, her brother and T.J. submit to waiting and waiting as white people are served first in a store. When she tries to complain, she is yelled at or laughed at. Then, she has to apologize repeatedly to a white girl, humiliating herself in public. Not even her strong-willed, proud family can prevent these things from happening, and this hurts Cassie deeply.

Chapter 6

Racism 7: Racism requires that every black person in their town must live in fear. Hammer tries to avoid this, expecting to be treated as an equal to the white people around him, but everyone is worried that he will get himself into trouble. He wants to spend his life fighting racism violently, but he does not think about what might happen to him because of his angry protests and jokes on white people. Mama worries that he will get himself killed or bring violence on the family.

Chapter 7

Racism 8: When Jeremy tries to overcome the racism of his family, the Logans are uncomfortable and unsure of what to do. Finally, though, they accept that he is only trying to be nice. Stacey ignores T.J. when T.J. tries to turn him against Jeremy. Papa tries to protect Jeremy by sending him home before his parents miss him. However, Papa does not believe white and black people could ever really be friends.

Chapter 8

Racism 9: Cassie can't believe that Lillian Jean's racism runs so deep that she believes Cassie could be happy being her "little colored friend." Cassie can't understand how Lillian could think that was real friendship. Lillian expects Cassie to actually want to be her little slave.

Chapter 11

Racism 10: The white people of the town cannot imagine that a white boy could have beaten the shopkeeper and his wife the way R.W. and Melvin did. They are so sure T.J. must be to blame that they want to kill him right in front of their house. They do not care who is guilty, in fact, as is shown by the way they beat up T.J.'s family, including his younger brothers and sisters. They simply want to punish some black people, and they do so, because no one dares to stop them, and most people don't want to stop them.

CHARACTERS
    Cassie Logan
    Cassie is the protagonist of the story. She is a nine year old child when the story begins and is just beginning to recognize injustices in the situations of the people around her. Cassie is characterized from the start as a very intelligent little girl with a fierce sense of loyalty and protective instincts toward her siblings. She is a typical child whose life prior to the story has consisted of school, squabbles with other tenant farmer children over trivialities like where to sit in the classroom. Her worst problem has been how to avoid getting buried in dust or spattered with mud by the white school bus that passes them on their way to school every day.

The novel begins a new phase of Cassie’s life. She is not only growing up, which children did much younger in days when they had to help the family survive, but is also becoming aware of differences between herself and other children, differences which are based on skin color alone, but which she has difficult time accepting. Her first “protest” happens in school when she backs up Little Man who has objected to the used books. Expecting to be punished by her mother when Miss Crocker reports to her, Cassie tries to get to her mother first. However, Mary Logan-who does not accuse Miss Crocker of wrong doing understands Cassie.

Perhaps her mother’s subtle defense gives Cassie the nerve to speak up in the store in Strawberry, but given her personality, she probably would have anyway. There, she learns for the first time that people with white skin think themselves better than those with black skin; she has to endure her first true humiliation in showing deference to a white child no older than she is. This incident awakens her to two aspects of her life that she cannot change; one is that she can expect to be forced to take second place to a white person of any age. The second is the adults in her family cannot prevent her from being humiliated aside from just keeping her at home.

Cassie also learns that she can get limited revenge with impunity providing she finds ways that would put the whites in a humiliating spot if they admitted the incident or if she can do it in a way that prevents them from knowing who is responsible. Stacey takes advantage of the rain and the dirt road to temporarily stop the bus from tormenting them. Later, Cassie also finds a way to get even with Lillian Jean in a way that will prevent Lillian Jean from telling on her. She learns that part of self preservation is knowing when to keep quiet about what she knows and how to make it inconvenient for her enemies to get the best of her.

Cassie also learns something about friendship versus merely using someone. She doesn’t really like T.J. much, but she tolerates him and helps him when he comes to them in need. However, she is able to see that T.J. defines friendship in terms of what someone will give him rather than liking him for who he is. In other words, he friendship can be bought, and those who buy it only use it for their own means. However, the result is loneliness and a not so secret longing to be with the people who really care about him.
    By the end of the story, Cassie understands the element that truly differentiates them from the other Black families. Her family owns land, thanks to the insight of her grandfather. So long as they manage to hang onto it in spite of all obstacles, they have roots and a source of self-confidence that the tenant farmers will never have. Their land gives them not only a permanent home, but also a firm sense of accomplishment and identity along with an ability to influence changes at some point in the future.

Stacey Logan
    Stacey is Cassie’s older brother-13 at the opening of the story. Due to his age, he is more mature than Cassie, but as he is also a boy, he has had access to information that she has not. He serves as an example to her, although his decisions are not always correct. When he runs off to the Wallace store to beat up T.J. for putting the blame for cheating onto him, he is acting impulsively. However, since it is simply one black boy fighting with another, the whites don’t care.

Stacey does know how to be careful when the conflict involves whites; he shows deliberate planning and strategy when he digs the ditch across the road and does his best to quiet Cassie when she speaks up in the store in Strawberry.

Stacey does have his own lessons to learn, however. He is sensitive about being teased by older friends and allows T.J. to talk him out of the coat given to him by Uncle Hammer. The coat does not look bad on him, but T.J. wants it for himself. The scolding given to him by Mr. Morrison was worse than any punishment his mother could have inflicted as it accuses him of weakness and of being more foolish than the fool who took advantage of him. Stacey learns quickly, however, and does not make the same mistake when T.J. tries to rib him about the handmade flute Jeremy gives him for Christmas.

Stacey matures in his understanding of friendship. He and T.J. have always been friends, but when T.J. cheats a second time, gets Mary Logan fired, and then turns to white boys for his friends, Stacey refuses to have anything more to do with him. However, he remains concerned about him and asks about him from other boys who have seen him. He also keeps to himself his opinion about the white boy Jeremy Simms’ friendship. Jeremy shows himself to be a friend even when Stacey seems ill at ease about accepting it. Stacey continues his friendship with Jeremy even though he keeps it low-key. Also, in keeping the flute, but putting it away, it seems as though he may be waiting to find out if his father is correct in saying that sooner or later Jeremy will turn on him.

In the end, Stacey has seen examples of “doing what you have to.” He saw Mr. Morrison beat the Wallaces under circumstances when the Wallaces could not retaliate, and he saw his father find a way to subvert white intentions without letting them know who had done it. He runs into the woods to vent his grief over his friend. As with Cassie, the incident will leave him a changed boy.

T.J. Avery
    T.J. is the son of the sharecropper who farms part of the Granger land which adjoins the Logan land. He is a weak character who wants to be treated as a man. He wants to “count” in a society where his color makes him second class. He likes to feel important, a characteristic portrayed early in the story when he visits the Logans with news he thinks they have not yet received and makes a major project out of the telling. He tries to act big by teasing the younger children and by trying to talk them into things their parents have forbidden.

T.J. does not have a high sense of integrity. He sees nothing wrong with cheating on a test or lying to Stacey to get his new coat away from him. He uses his friends the same way the Simms use him later on. He is also gullible, measuring friendship in terms of how much he can get. He does not understand that his horrible loneliness is a direct result of his abuse of his real friends.

In T.J.’s defense, regardless of his weakness, he is not simply an “evil” character. He is the victim of circumstances. The very fact that the Logans do have their own land and his father does not may motivate him to try to show that he is just as good as they are even though they have not flaunted their own position. He really has nothing, and his father is at the mercy of landowners who can take what little he does have any time he displeases them.

Getting things through deception and treachery is not dishonorable to him as long as he doesn’t get caught. Furthermore, getting caught does not teach him that what he did was wrong. It just proves to him that he has to be cleverer the next time as in the school cheating incidents. Furthermore, when faced with the consequences of his behavior, his immediate reaction is to find someone else to blame. He does not realize that that is exactly what the whites around him are doing to the black community. It is ironic that he who is guilty of multiple little grievances and deceptions is actually innocent when the real crime occurs-that is, innocent of everything except allowing himself to be led.

Mr. Morrison
    Mr. Morrison is a static character, but his superhuman strength, his deliberate, measured self-control, and his example of courage and determination make him a pivotal character. Early on, he breaks up the fight between T.J. and Stacey, but does not scold Stacey for his actions-beyond noting that they had been told NOT to go to Wallaces store. Stacey initially does not like him, but the ice is broken when Mr. Morrison leaves it up to him to tell Mama why they had disobeyed. Stacey could have chosen not to tell at all, but in refusing to “tattle,” Mr. Morrison was treating him like a man and an equal. Stacey’s task in response was to act like a man which meant taking responsibility for his action.

Morrison’s personal story of survival when the night-men attacked his family would justify a bitter and vengeful attitude, but if he feels that way he keeps it well contained. He is able to prevent others such as Hammer from acting rashly and succeeds in preventing David from making a fruitless trip to the bank. Still, for all his apparent mild manner, he does not back down, but stands up to the white men in ways that catch them by surprise. The night men do not attack the Logans in any sort of fair contest partly because they are afraid of Morrison.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Just a gentle reminder to keep chat to an absolute minimum, the purpose of this thread is just to share notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

Teacher gave this to us the other day, I think it's similar or nearly the same as Revise Wise !
    If you want poetry - Subh Milis and Gealt, oh and An tOzón
    I also have another Pros handout on Marie Curie - loads of themes for this.
    I have a few stories as well - Party, Concert and the Best Holiday I ever had.

An tÁdh le Pádraig Ó Conaire

Téamaí
    Cairdeas - friendship
    An óige - Youth
    Bás - Death
    Tubaiste a tharla - Disaster that happened
    Dílseacht - Loyalty
    Ádh - Luck
    Saol na tuaithe/saol in aice na farraige - Life in the country/life at the seaside
    Baol - Danger

Na Mothúcháin sa scéal
    Brón - Sadness
    Briseadh croí - Heartbreak
    Aiféala - Regret
    Imní - Worry
    Tuiscint - Understanding
    Misneach - Bravery

Sample Answer

i) Rinne mé staidéar ar an scéál "An tÁdh" le Pádraig Ó Conaire. Scéal faoin mbás é an
    scéál seo.

ii) Baineann an scéal seo le buachaillí óga a chónaigh faoin tuath na blianta ó shin - Pádraig,
    Séamas agus Micilín. Bhídis i gconaí ag deánamh rudaí nár choir dóibh a dhéanamh agus
    bhain siad an-taitneamh as an saol. Saol na tuaithe agus saol in aice na farraige a bhí ann.
    Chuaigh beirt de na buachaillí amach ar an bhfarraige i gan fhios d'aon duine. Bhí Tom
    Beag ag dul go Garumna an lá sin chun muca a dhíol agus chuaigh an bheirt bhuachaillí
    isteach fanacht do Tom, fuair Pádraig an tráithnín fada agus bhí air fanacht. Bhí an-
    bhrón air faoi sin ach ag deireadh an scéil, níor tháinig an bád ar ais agus bádh an bheirt
    bhuachaillí. Bhí an t-ádh le Pádraig sa deireadh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

How long do Irish pros and poetry have to be to get full marks-if the Irish is good?

This thread is amazing,would anybody have any notes on chemistry if it's not too much bother?:D

does anyone have any notes on POETRY please? any theme. :) im really bad at poetry :(

does anyone have any notes on POETRY please? any theme. :) im really bad at poetry :(

Irish or English?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I feel like something about the Olympics or the UEFA Euros 2012 will come up in Irish. Does anyone have a scéal of going to a football match, sporting event etc? Thanks

Troxck wrote: »
    I feel like something about the Olympics or the UEFA Euros 2012 will come up in Irish. Does anyone have a scéal of going to a football match, sporting event etc? Thanks

It could be more subtle and be some b*stard of a thing like that referee comprehension in the mocks!.

Lor1963 wrote: »
    Irish or English?

english :D

english :D

There's loads at the beginning of this thread :)

Does anyone have a sample answer on a named leader in the struggle for Irish independence 1900-21?

xfabgalx wrote: »
    Does anyone have a sample answer on a named leader in the struggle for Irish independence 1900-21?

James connolly- a leader in the struggle for irish independance

James connolly was born in edinburgh,Scotland, in 1868. His parents were poor irish immigrants.He was a self educated man.He believed socialism could bring equality and better conditions for poor working people

at age 28 connoly moved to Dublin where the working class slums were among the poorest in Europe. He published a newspaper called "The irish worker". In it he urged exploited workers to rise up together and force their employers to give them fair wages

Connoly founded the "irish socialist republican party". He hoped that a free irish republic would allow a socialist society to develop.Connoly founded the "irish citizen army" in 1913. It was founded to protect striking or protesting workers beacause they were attack by the police in Dublin during the 1913 lockout

James connoly was invited to the military council when they found out that he was planning a rebellion. He was on of the 7 leaders who signed "the proclamation of an Irish republic"

on Easter monday Connoly and Padraig Pearse too control of the rebels headquarters, the GPO. after 5 days of fighting the rebels surrendered and by that time central dublin lay in ruins

Connoly was condemned to death for his role in the rising and was executed on 12 may 1916

Michael Collins
    Micheal Collins was Born in West Cork in 1890. He emigrated to London in 1906. He became a member of the IRB in 1909 in London.Was one of the first members of branch of Irish Volunteers based in London 1914. Returned to Ireland - in GPO during Easter Rising - minor role. Sent to prison camp - Wales - emerges as a leader.Released from prison Dec. 1916 - begins to re-organise Volunteers
    Elected as Sinn Fein TD in 1918 and was appointed Minister of Finance in first Dáil 1919. He also Raised a huge amount of money for Dáil loan - around £350,000. This paid for weapons and the running of the government. Was in favour of guerilla warfare in Anglo-Irish war of 1919-21. Set up a special unit called "the Squad" this was a group of assassins who killed british spies. Had a very effective spy-network operating in Dublin in key places. Most wanted man in Ireland - £10,000 price on his head. He was sent to London by De Valera to negotiate Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 and was reluctant to go at first but agreed to go after a lot of pressure. Signed the Treaty on December 6th 1921 - felt it was the best possible deal available. He defended his decision to sign the Treaty in Dáil debates in Jan. 1922. Saw Treaty as “a stepping stone” to the Republic. Became key member of new provisional government. Made great efforts to prevent outbreak of civil war in Ireland. Ordered the shelling of the Four Courts in June 1922 - start of civil war. Became Commander-in-chief of Free State Army. He went on a military visit to West Cork, August 1922 and was ambushed and killed. His death was a huge loss to the new Irish Free State

anyone have any higher irish saying/ phrases for letter/story, and with translations, thank you :P

RoRo979 wrote: »
    anyone have any higher irish saying/ phrases for letter/story, and with translations, thank you :P

Yep I have loads, if you don't mind can I put them up on Friday or over the weekend as I have loads of homework :) Here's a few for now though:

Letter:
    Caithfidh mé imeacht anois,
    scriobh chugam go luaith, - not sure if there's an i in there or not :O :L
    Slán,
    Úna.

I have to go now,
    write to me soon,
    bye,
    Una.

Beatha agus sláinte -Life and health!

Tá sé tabhachtach go mbíonn ..... , dar liomsa - It is important that.... in my opinion

Cuir téacs chugam nuair a bheidh tú ar ais in Éirinn.

Send me a text when you are back in Ireland.

Slán go fóill - Farewell for now

Bhí fonn orm i gcónaí dul go dtí an Frainc, go háirithe go dtí Páras, mar theastaigh uaim dul suas an Túr Eiffel agus tá suim mhór agam i stair na Fraince - I always wanted (or desired) to go to France, especially to Paris, because I wanted to go up the Eiffel Tower and I have great interest in French history.

Story:

Is minic a dhuisím i gceartlar na hoíche nuair a smaoiním siar ar an eachtra uafásach a tharla cúpla mí ó shin - I often wake up in the throws of the night when I think back on the terrible incident that happened a couple of months ago.

Fágadh curam an tí ormsa - the custody of the house was left with me.

Bhí ag éirí go geal liom - I was feeling great

D'ullmhaíomar bia blasta sa chistin - We prepared tasty food in the kitchen

Is ansin a fuair mé amach go raibh sé ghlan as a mheabhair ar meisce mar d'ól sé cúpla gloine uisce beatha - It was then I found out he was out of his mind drunk because he drank a couple of glasses of whiskey.

Geallaimse duit gur fhoghlaim mé ceacht fúinteach agus beidh mé níos curamaí as seo amach - I am telling you that I learned a valuable lesson and I will be more careful from now on.

Chun na fírinne a rá ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad go deo ar an eachtra uafásach a tharla an oíche sin - To tell you the truth I will never forget that terrible night.

Oh and I was just wondering if (BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE TIME AND NOT BUSY) you have any plantation landowner people in history answers and if so could you put them up? It's not urgent or anything! Oh and thank you very much for those answers above! :D

• Advertisement

Yep I have loads, if you don't mind can I put them up on Friday or over the weekend as I have loads of homework :)

Oh and I was just wondering if (BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE TIME AND NOT BUSY) you have any plantation landowner people in history answers and if so could you put them up? It's not urgent or anything! Oh and thank you very much for those answers above! :D

haha thanks, ill get on it now, might take a bit though

Advertisement