Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating like a Pro

• 16-02-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I want to know what kind of foods pro athletes eat(mainly cyclists)...

As I am planning on starting to rev up my training from Monday coming...

Currently gym 3 times a week, and cycle 100km a week(at least)...

I'd like to double my cycling to 200km(minimum) a week, while continuing the gym sessions.

I've been eating OK, but I know I'd being eating some junk as well and would like to eat like a pro athlete for a week to see how it goes for me...

There is very little I won't eat...No raw fish...

Cheers in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

200km a week is not that huge an amount that you need to eat as if you're on the Tour de France. If you are eating clean now (mostly fresh unprocessed food) then you don't need to make any big changes, just adjust calories to your workout level.

What are you eating now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

EileenG wrote: »
    200km a week is not that huge an amount that you need to eat as if you're on the Tour de France. If you are eating clean now (mostly fresh unprocessed food) then you don't need to make any big changes, just adjust calories to your workout level.

What are you eating now?

I'm not looking to eat the amounts that a pro eats...

I'm just looking for info on what foods they would eat?

Like what fruits they eat, were they get their carbs and protein from aswell as their fats?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

I would guess just usual everyday foods. There aren't any magic carbs or fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

boomtown84 wrote: »
    I would guess just usual everyday foods. There aren't any magic carbs or fats.
    theres good/bad carbs&fats
    Im a cyclist(track sprinter*),
    I eat brazil nuts,walnuts,hazlenuts,almonds every day. that would be healthy fat, those sources would also provide essential minerals for athletes.
    salmon is also another good fat source. avocados too

healthy carbs would be oats,wheat,brown breads. 'clean' and easy to digest, low-mid glycemic is best.

for anything over 50km youll prob need high glycemic (sugars) with you(sports drink, fruit, cereal bars), but under that your muscles should have enough glycogen stored, plus you'll have something in your stomach being processed for later.
    water or an electrolyte drink would be fine for short spins.
    depending on how hard you go, climbs, sprints etc you'll need a little extra protein than the average person. supplements arent neccesary, chicken,beef,dairy is great, whey protein is quick and easy

keep your blood sugar stable with a good carb source, the nuts help regulate this, eat enough protein to help muscle tissue repair, keep hydrated for optimum performance and to avoid cramps, get plenty of rest.

not all pro cyclists know how to eat properly.

*my races are very short, training is mostly gym work but I would do 100-200km a week too, and Im not a pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I have seeds(linseed, sunflower seed) and frozen berries with my oats.

bananas are great on the road. most fruit will act just like sugar so only use it when you need a sugar source or you are balancing it out with another carb source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

I have seeds(linseed, sunflower seed) and frozen berries with my oats.

bananas are great on the road. most fruit will act just like sugar so only use it when you need a sugar source or you are balancing it out with another carb source.

With the linseed in your oats, are they whole seeds just mixed it after the oats are cooked, or do you mix them in while cooking the oats?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

theres good/bad carbs&fats
    arguably, but for a cyclist there are no bad carbs...all just energy. as i said...no magic foods. Long cycle: full glycogen levels with more in the stomach and more on the bike. Calories are most important.
    busyliving wrote: »
    With the linseed in your oats, are they whole seeds just mixed it after the oats are cooked, or do you mix them in while cooking the oats?

just mix them in when it's cooked.

Advertisement