Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

mrslow wrote: »
    You running Sunday?

I think I'll aim for a very easy 5 on Sunday alright so hangover permitting I'll head over to the park and meet yee. Not that I should have a hangover though seeing as I gave up boozing for January...:rolleyes:
    RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday clara, you've put in a lot of hard work, so I've no doubt you'll have a great run :)

Cheers Ruby, not gonna get too worked up about it. The legs are pretty wrecked today so I'll leave them be until Saturday and hopefully there'll be enough in them to get me around. Should be a bit of craic anyway.

God am I really saying a 13.1 mile should be a bit of craic? What's happened to me?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

claralara wrote: »
    God am I really saying a 13.1 mile should be a bit of craic? What's happened to me?!

Your crazy same as Rubyk, me and everyone else who runs these distances, remember when 5k was a stupidly long distance to run? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I think I'll aim for a very easy 5 on Sunday alright so hangover permitting I'll head over to the park and meet yee. Not that I should have a hangover though seeing as I gave up boozing for January...:rolleyes:

Have a snifter or two on the way over, you'll be fine.
    Cheers Ruby, not gonna get too worked up about it. The legs are pretty wrecked today so I'll leave them be until Saturday and hopefully there'll be enough in them to get me around. Should be a bit of craic anyway. God am I really saying a 13.1 mile should be a bit of craic? What's happened to me?!

When the gun goes off and the adrenaline starts pumping and you realise you should in fact have popped to the bathroom that one last time, everything will fall into place. (By 'fall into place' I mean ride up into the unknown on you so that you'll have to have your shorts removed with a tweezers)

Have a great race! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Have fun tomorrow and good luck - may see around there.

Are peeps heading anywhere for a drink (tea/coffee/beer/oxygen...) afterwards?

I'll hang around for an aule hang sangwich and a cup of tae (and maybe a purple snack if I deserve it..) - I'll PM you my number and we can RV if it suits!

• Advertisement

Yup that works...don't go scoffing all the goody bag chocolate before I get to the finish line :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    remember when 5k was a stupidly long distance to run? :pac::pac:

I know! And it wasn't that long ago!! I've been threatening to read over my log from feb - dec to see how much / little has changed since I started at this. This time last year the thoughts of an upcoming 10k terrified me! Best of luck tomorrow!
    When the gun goes off and the adrenaline starts pumping and you realise you should in fact have popped to the bathroom that one last time, everything will fall into place. (By 'fall into place' I mean ride up into the unknown on you so that you'll have to have your shorts removed with a tweezers)

What is this glamorous hobby you speak of?! Sounds far more exciting than the lowly road running I'm throwing my hand at. I'm intrigued.. Though I'm not sure I want to know more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Best of luck Guys!

What is this glamorous hobby you speak of?! Sounds far more exciting than the lowly road running I'm throwing my hand at. I'm intrigued.. Though I'm not sure I want to know more!

There's nothing lowly about getting out there and running 13.1 miles while everyone else is watching tv in bed.

You're going to love this race, believe me! Just don't tie your shoelaces together and remember - Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

People, People - Pain is your friend.

Embrace it and welcome it. Foul weather too.

Tis all in the mind. When the odds are stacked against you, thats the time to rise up and surpass the impossible.

Enjoy tomorrow and when running into the wind, run behind someone taller:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

good luck tomorrow. If you need motivation imagine a giant foam roller in pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'll hang around for an aule hang sangwich and a cup of tae (and maybe a purple snack if I deserve it..) - I'll PM you my number and we can RV if it suits!

I'll pm you both my number also. Nice to put names to faces. Shaz, last time I saw you I was barely conscious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

See you tomorrow. Don't forget to bring a towel and a change of clothes to the RSC. Looks like we'll need it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A cup of tae and a purple Snack...:D Have a great race :)

love those purple snacks ...an understated snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck tomorrow. Sounds like there's a good gang going, so it should be a bit of crack. I'll be thinking of ye all on my nice slow easy 9 miles LSR :D

Cheers for the well wishes lads - I'm afraid I haven't brought a wonderful glowing report home but I'm just about in one piece so that's all that matters...:)

Mile Pace
    1 8.54
    2 8.45
    3 9.02
    4 9.28
    5 9.08
    6 9.30
    7 9.04
    8 8.59
    9 9.37
    10 9.26
    11 9.08
    12 9.04
    13 8.58
    .14 8.40

Woke up in Waterford to hideous weather conditions so I pressed snooze once or twice or ten times hoping that each time I opened my eyes that the winds would have blown the rain clouds away – not a hope!

In short (because I still haven’t got the energy to engage my brain to write a lengthy or interesting report) it wasn’t my day. Physically, I felt ok (not amazing) but alright. Mentally, it just wasn’t there. I probably went out a little fast but I felt great and was enjoying it for the first 4 miles. Miles 5, 6 and 7 were tough and probably the worst terrain and weather of the race. The 2 hour pacers passed me just over the halfway point and I just got this horrible sinking feeling which remained for pretty much the rest of the race. I managed to stick with them for the downhill mile but my brain had given up on me by the time we turned back towards Waterford. For some reason all I could think about was Connemara and how much worse it was going to be and that was really giving my confidence a battering. The 2 hour pacers were savage though –despite me shouting “I’m not in your group, I’m only out for a run!” they came back and insisted I stick with them at that stage. They were offering people gels and water and to carry jackets – really sound guys so big thanks to Maire and Ian. I even got complimented on my running style – apparently it’s very ‘energy efficient’...I expect that’s a very nice way of saying ‘lazy’ :rolleyes:. I knew that once I got to 10 miles it was mostly flat home so I found a bit of something to get me there. I thought the finish line was going to be at the gates to the RSC so I put the foot down with a belt of energy that. And then I realised I had about 300m more to go...Ugh. I could see the seconds counting down on the clock and rounded the last stretch thinking I still had the 2 hours but the wind hit me like a truck at the turn and I knew it was game over.

Garmin Summary: 13.14miles - 2.00.19

Met up for a few drinks with Menoscemo, RK, Ainman, Brianderunner, and jcsmum after – great running out of the lot of them. :) Fair play lads! I had one cup of tea / pint of water too many...the drive home was dreadful!

Obviously not the worst time considering the conditions and the fact that this time last year the New Year’s resolution was to do a HM by the end of 2010 but definitely the most mentally trying run I’ve ever done. There were some serious emotions running through me for most of it! Anyway I only expected to be able to run it as a training run so I won’t complain.

Feel alright today – bit of pain in the lower back so I really need to work on the core strength for the longer runs. Gonna join the group for a very easy 5 miles at 1 and then have a good ole stretch in front of the TV for the evening:D

For some reason all I could think about was Connemara and how much worse it was going to be and that was really giving my confidence a battering.

I was having the same feeling yesterday in the run and then my other main thought was..."forget this I am never getting off my couch again! I was quite happy for 35 years never to run, I can go back to that!!" :D

:D You did GREAT! Well done on the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Sure because you ran through those weather conditions, the other races will be a piece of cake. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

Hey Clara - great post - very inspiring - just came in after my Sunday long run and was feeling sorry for myself - still feeling sorry for myself but good to know there are others out there facing similar challenges (I'm doing con too). Are you looking to do a 3:45?

• Advertisement

Claralara,

That was a hellish race due to awful conditions, you said your heart wasn't in it and you pulled a 2 hour race out of it? Stop being so hard on yourself.

Everyone finishes their first half wondering how in the name of Jaysus they'll manage to double the distance but you have 12 weeks (that's 3 months;)) to get there.

You ran a very respectable time in terrible weather, and then went out for 5 miles with us today!
    Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Claralara,

That was a hellish race due to awful conditions, you said your heart wasn't in it and you pulled a 2 hour race out of it? Stop being so hard on yourself.

Everyone finishes their first half wondering how in the name of Jaysus they'll manage to double the distance but you have 12 weeks (that's 3 months;)) to get there.

You ran a very respectable time in terrible weather, and then went out for 5 miles with us today!
    Well done!

You're on form with the good advice these days mrslow:pac:
    Keep reading them books so ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    You're on form with the good advice these days mrslow:pac:
    Keep reading them books so ;)

It's all the pictures and big spaced out words that's the trick;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow Claralara, for an easy LSR that was some run! Don't be so hard on yourself. ;) Congrats - great time - and in those conditions?! Wow! I'm in awe :D
    You'll breeze through Conn.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Emer911 wrote: »
    Wow Claralara, for an easy LSR that was some run! Don't be so hard on yourself. ;) Congrats - great time - and in those conditions?! Wow! I'm in awe :D

+ 1!
    And you did 5 miles today!!:eek: I can barely move after doing 10K yesterday! WOW!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

claralara, I woudn't be too hard on yourself to be honest as you said yourself you were going to do the run as a LSR not a race.

The conditions were awful and still as you said yourself you kept with the 2hr pacers, atleast you know now what you need to work on for Connamara and its better you know this now then on the 11th April.

btw I don't think you were the only one who thought the finish was at the gates of the RSC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

That was great running clara! Those conditions were terrible, but it will stand to you! Great work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh my God missus, stop being so hard on yourself. Like others said, eventhough you felt your heart wasn't in it, you did a super time. I know that being in a positive mental state is so important so imagine the time you will do when you are in that place.
    Well done! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Oh my God missus, stop being so hard on yourself. Like others said, eventhough you felt your heart wasn't in it, you did a super time. I know that being in a positive mental state is so important so imagine the time you will do when you are in that place.
    Well done! :)

+1000 on this, that was a great time in horrible conditions. Well done you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

well done claralara, great persormance for your first half in those conditions. Being able to dig in and keep going when you dont feel good is one of the hardest lessons we learn. You can use this experience the next time you are feeling bad in a race, just tell yourself you got through Waterford you can get through anything.It's days like Saturday that will stand to you way more than an easy race.

Advertisement