Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do the christians???

• 07-11-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi guys ,
    I am not from Ireland , not even a Christian , orthodox etc.
    I have a question about Christianity , as I was taught all the relegions are equal...I have a question based on this..
    - Which relegion Christianity can best relate itself to?(nearest religion to Christianity)?? :confused::confused:
    Regards,
    Saint Sinner.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Hi guys ,
    I have a question about Christianity , as I was taught all the relegions are equal...I have a question based on this..
    - Which relegion Christianity can best relate itself to?(nearest religion to Christianity)?? :confused::confused:
    Regards,
    Saint Sinner.

Christians would not believe that all religions are equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

No Religion equals Christianity in the sense that they deny that Christ is God. But the nearest to us who have split away would be Islam and the Jewish who believe like us in One God, they just dont accept Christ as being One God however we do share that belief in One God.

Thats it really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Abrahamic religions do share common elements, but as well they seem to share Christianity's tendancy to split into differing factions(As per "Islam : A very short introduction by M. Ruthven), I'd be personally inclined to look favourable on the respective conservative branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 saintNsinnerr

PDN wrote: »
    Christians would not believe that all religions are equal.

And why so ????? :o

Because they make mutually contradictory claims. Therefore they cannot all be true.

This leaves too possible alternatives:

a) That all religions are equally false - in which case atheism would be the only reasonable position to take.

b) That at least one religion contains more truth than others - in which case they are not all equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Because it's buddist philosophy to claim all religions are equal. and buddism is a philosophy not a theology that mostly appeals to the secular crowd because it has a secular message that they want to hear which is ''Everything is ok, its all alright, we are all equal and can believe in what we want as a long is it doesnt harm others.''

Anyone with a brain can see Islam and Christianity are not equal and yet respect each others religious freedom to believe in as they wish, Just as much as anyone with a brain can see that the broom and the silver spoon have nothing in common.

But it pleases Christ to see that no matter a persons religion they at least believe in some form of him or something beyond them that created them. Yet he loathes atheism, Not the atheist but but atheism itself.

He would of course be more please if we all gave him our yes and believed in him and were saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Hi guys ,
    Regards,
    Saint Sinner.

I see from some of your other posts you have been in Ireland a few years and live in Athlone. Welcome! You are probably from a Hindu background?

If you want to understand Christianity I suggest you find a biography of St Francis Xavier
    http://www.stx-pburg.org/stx_bio.htm

http://www.jeevanjal.org/jeevanjal/rm8.html

he is buried in Goa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

If you want to understand Christianity I suggest you find a biography of St Francis Xavier

:confused:

Wouldn't a bible be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Onesimus wrote: »
    Because it's buddist philosophy to claim all religions are equal. and buddism is a philosophy not a theology that mostly appeals to the secular crowd because it has a secular message that they want to hear which is ''Everything is ok, its all alright, we are all equal and can believe in what we want as a long is it doesnt harm others.''

Anyone with a brain can see Islam and Christianity are not equal and yet respect each others religious freedom to believe in as they wish, Just as much as anyone with a brain can see that the broom and the silver spoon have nothing in common.

But it pleases Christ to see that no matter a persons religion they at least believe in some form of him or something beyond them that created them. Yet he loathes atheism, Not the atheist but but atheism itself.

He would of course be more please if we all gave him our yes and believed in him and were saved.

Ya reckon..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

homer911 wrote: »
    :confused:

Wouldn't a bible be better?

The best way to understand or come to know christianity is to see a christian in action. ("See how they love one another")

Seeing as Francis Xavier is known as the apostle to the Indies, it's a good place for someone from there to start.

Once converted one can then proceed to read the bible fruitfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Onesimus wrote: »

How can it please christ ? when it says in the bible that- Thou shalt have no other gods before me .
    And does it say in the bible that he loathes atheism?

housetypeb wrote: »

I don't think so - it just calls them fools. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

How can it please christ ? when it says in the bible that- Thou shalt have no other gods before me .
    Well, if you're born into an Muslim family, you're likely to culturally become a Muslim. You are brought up to believe in Allah and hear stories about Jesus. I don't think God would send you to hell if you were taught these things and never had the opportunity to investigate Christianity for yourself. In fact, there are many overlaps between Islam and Christianity in the sense of doing good. There's no denying the fact though that there are serious grievances between the two faiths. In my life's encounters with Muslim people, I have had nothing but respect and admiration for they way they live their lives.
    There are many references to the non believers in the Bible. Sacred Scripture informs us, yes, but so does Sacred Tradition (i.e. the teachings of the church). And it is quite clear from the teachings of the church that atheists (particularly the kind of atheism as professed by people who are well educated and understand Christian teaching), are pretty much guaranteed to burn in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Islam and Christianity are not equal and yet respect each others religious freedom to believe in as they wish
    They do??? been to Saudi lately?
    And it is quite clear from the teachings of the church that atheists (particularly the kind of atheism as professed by people who are well educated and understand Christian teaching), are pretty much guaranteed to burn in hell.
    Mother of God.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Hi guys ,
    Regards,
    Saint Sinner.

The Dalai Lama was once asked what the nearest religion to Buddhism is, and in his opinion it was Catholicism. So to answer your question perhaps Buddhism is the nearest religion to Christianity, although the term "near" is used in the loosest sense. They are not really that compatible / comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

PDN wrote: »
    I don't think so - it just calls them fools. :)

Doesn't it also say that that whoever says "You fool!" is going to get all burnt by Hell fire and stuff?

Any messages for Dave when I get down there man?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭PatricaMcKay2

The Dalai Lama was once asked what the nearest religion to Buddhism is, and in his opinion it was Catholicism. So to answer your question perhaps Buddhism is the nearest religion to Christianity, although the term "near" is used in the loosest sense. They are not really that compatible / comparable.

Given Tibetan Buddhism's ritual sexual abuse of kids I wouldnt going shouting that a chara. Just saying.

And no way is even classical Buddhism the "nearest" to Christianity- Islam and Zorastarianism are very much closer (the distinction between created and Creator, good versus evil; these concepts pass you by as rather crucial?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hi guys ,
    Regards,
    Saint Sinner.
    the problem you get when asking christians is that, that most christians do not read their own bible,true christian teaching will tell you that there are many ways to go to god,as jesus said,gods house has many mansions,the only religion that seems to follow that saying is the quakers, their worship stresses meditation and freedom of all to take a active part in the service[called a meeting ]held at a meeting house they have no priests or ministers,muslims,buddhist,and christians take part, i am not saying thats the way to go,but that may answer your question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

yutta wrote: »
    Well, if you're born into an Muslim family, you're likely to culturally become a Muslim. You are brought up to believe in Allah and hear stories about Jesus. I don't think God would send you to hell if you were taught these things and never had the opportunity to investigate Christianity for yourself. In fact, there are many overlaps between Islam and Christianity in the sense of doing good. There's no denying the fact though that there are serious grievances between the two faiths. In my life's encounters with Muslim people, I have had nothing but respect and admiration for they way they live their lives.

There are many references to the non believers in the Bible. Sacred Scripture informs us, yes, but so does Sacred Tradition (i.e. the teachings of the church). And it is quite clear from the teachings of the church that atheists (particularly the kind of atheism as professed by people who are well educated and understand Christian teaching), are pretty much guaranteed to burn in hell.

I imagine they'll be a few of ye rubbing yer hands in glee at the very thought of it all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

getz wrote: »
    the problem you get when asking christians is that, that most christians do not read their own bible,true christian teaching will tell you that there are many ways to go to god,as jesus said,gods house has many mansions,the only religion that seems to follow that saying is the quakers, their worship stresses meditation and freedom of all to take a active part in the service[called a meeting ]held at a meeting house they have no priests or ministers,muslims,buddhist,and christians take part, i am not saying thats the way to go,but that may answer your question.

Relativism alert!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Says the Devil!

put your hads up all you who believe,god only had one son ,the lord jesus christ,then read genesis chapter 6,

Given Tibetan Buddhism's ritual sexual abuse of kids I wouldnt going shouting that a chara. Just saying.
    Patrica, I've googled this and couldn't find any source I'd rely on, I think an 'alleged' is called for.
    Zorastarianism would probably be one of the roots of most Judaic Christian beliefs and consequently Islam it's not surprising it's close.
    The thing is most religions have the Golden Rule at their heart so similarities aren't surprising. What is surprising is the differences.

put your hads up all you who believe,god only had one son ,the lord jesus christ,then read genesis chapter 6,
    Damn no hand raising smilie!
    Whats your point?

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Damn no hand raising smilie!
    Whats your point?
    listen carefully, as i will be asking questions afterwards, as i said most main line christians do not read the bible,or if the do they the like to ignore the embarrassing bits

Oh good, a pop quiz !

listen carefully, as i will be asking questions afterwards, as i said most main line christians do not read the bible,or if the do they the like to ignore the embarrassing bits

If your questions are going to be as embarrassingly uninformed as this then I suggest you take them to the Spirituality Forum. Derailing a thread with nonsense is not funny.

Even young children in church realise that the Bible uses the phrase 'son of God' to refer at times to angels, to Adam, and to Christians. This is why Christian belief affirms that Jesus Christ was God's only begotten (monogenes) Son, rather than being created or adopted as a son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭PatricaMcKay2

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Patrica, I've googled this and couldn't find any source I'd rely on, I think an 'alleged' is called for.
    Zorastarianism would probably be one of the roots of most Judaic Christian beliefs and consequently Islam it's not surprising it's close.
    The thing is most religions have the Golden Rule at their heart so similarities aren't surprising. What is surprising is the differences.

http://www.trimondi.de/SDLE/Part-1-03.htm The innocence of darling anti-Communists when it comes to Tantra and especially its Tibetian forms always warms my heart :P

Its debatable as to whether most religions have the golden rule, and anyway its the intention behind the rules is what counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Sure ye are.
    And no way is even classical Buddhism the "nearest" to Christianity- Islam and Zorastarianism are very much closer (the distinction between created and Creator, good versus evil; these concepts pass you by as rather crucial?).

Of course the Abrahamic religions are the closest, but thats a bit obvious. After that Buddhism is closest to nilism in my own opinion.

• Advertisement

http://www.trimondi.de/SDLE/Part-1-03.htm The innocence of darling anti-Communists when it comes to Tantra and especially its Tibetian forms always warms my heart :P

Its debatable as to whether most religions have the golden rule, and anyway its the intention behind the rules is what counts.

Yeah with such articles as "Hitler, Buddha, Krishna – An unholy alliance from the Third Reich to the present day by Victor and Victoria Trimondi" in that linked site, I would approach with caution any allegations found their.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement