Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your religion and why is it the right one?

• 19-10-2006 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

:D

I think I should preface this by saying that I think that this is a genuinely good topic, as it will draw in all of the various religions, and they can all engage with one-another. It will inevitably lead to conflict and possibly hostility -- such is the nature of debate -- but that doesn't detract from the value of the thread. If all of these religions have their own interpretation of "the truth", then one of them must be lying, so if they're all thrown into the mix together, Darwinism will take over (scoring some cheap points for the atheists!:D hehe) and the strongest one/one with the most evidence to support it will have to prevail. So we may get some converts at the end of this thread! :D Or maybe people will keep dodging questions and we won't get anywhere ;) Regardless, this could be a very interesting thread!
    I've posted it in the Spirituality forum because I feel it is the most relevent one to the topic. This is the Religion/Spirituality forum, and the sub-forums are for major religions, and spirituality. As there is no "General" religion discussion forum, I think that it's best suited for here. Feel free to move it though.

Anyways, as it is late and I've to be up in a few shorts hours, I'll have to post my own thoughts in the morrow, but I will PM a link to this thread to various people whom I've seen posting in the various religious forums, and who have professed their own faith or lack thereof.

Looking forward to this being a success, come on lads! And keep it civil -- no eye gouging or fish-hooking! :D

EDIT: I know atheism isn't a religion BTW, but for the sake of a catchy title I'm gonna ignore that fact :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Atheism is my religion and I believe it to be the "right one" because I have a firm belief in science and particularly evolution. I'm by no means an expert in either, but I've read a few books and I'm quite satisfied with my choice.

Sorry, not to be too elaborate, but thats my basic belief and reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I suppose I would be called an Independent Buddhist, that is one who has studied for a number of years and has started to chart his/her own path. The reason being that organizations, in general, always end up trying to impose restrictions of some kind, or concentrait on one aspect of the belief to the near exclussion of all others.
    I would claim to be Atheist in that I do not believe in any Gods, Agnostic in that there is always a possibility that I am wrong, and spiritual in that I believe there is more to me than just flesh and blood. As a Buddhist I am very respectful of the rights of others to follow their religons or beliefs, I always try to understand their connection with their Deities and seek the good points, but this does not mean I accept or believe what they claim.
    I place much much more emphasis and value on the person rather than on the system, God or belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Atheism is my religion and I believe it to be the "right one" because I have a firm belief in science and particularly evolution. I'm by no means an expert in either, but I've read a few books and I'm quite satisfied with my choice.

Sorry, not to be too elaborate, but thats my basic belief and reasoning.
    Same makes since but the right relgion is the one that makes you happiest and most content

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

plonk wrote:
    Same makes since but the right relgion is the one that makes you happiest and most content

Exactly, once you aren't hurting anyone else, no harm is being done. Live and let live.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I would claim to be Atheist in that I do not believe in any Gods, Agnostic in
    > that there is always a possibility that I am wrong, and spiritual in that I
    > believe there is more to me than just flesh and blood.

Couldn't have said it better :)

> What is your religion and why is it the right one?

...which begs the question of what's a religion? In my own definition, it's the mass effect arising from a group of people, each of whom believes that everybody else in the group holds an authoritarian, infallible and untestable worldview sufficiently similar to what they do, that they feel a sense of kinship with the group as a whole. And are prepared to act to protect the perceived integrity of the guiding idea.

Answering the question using my own definition of 'religion': well, I have no religion and, in the main, I reject all religions -- whether abrahamic, communist, Hutu, north korean or anything else -- as absurd, lethal obscenities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I like to keep things simple. I'll tell you what I once read and that is my view of religion.....

Imagine it is your birthday and your family and friends gather around to celebrate your life and existence in their lives. They all give you individual gifts.....maybe a pen, a book, etc etc.....They are all individual gifts, each one totally unlike the next but you love and cherish them all the same because they were all given out of love for you.

This is the way I view religion and religious practices....God (who I do believe exists but not in corporeal form) receives all gifts of worship, be it fasting on Good Friday, partaking in Ramadan or just acknowledging Him/Her/It day to day and being thankful for life........not one is better than the other.....they are all expressions of love and respect and appreciate by God as just that.

I have little rituals and prayers that I love to do but don't subscribe to one particular religion. If I experience a new way and I like it, I may do it myself.

I do think that religion is a concept based on Human complexities and limitations and that God's love is unrestricted and all-inclusive.......far beyond our conceptual ability.

So that is how I look at it......anything we do as an act of good or love or respect is a way of showing our adoration to our life giver and it is received and appreciated with joy and love.

In my opinion, God has no limits........at all........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Atheist, because if religion wasn't such a hot topic the God notion wouldn't be something I'd even think about. Atheism is my more natural state of thought and unless there is a convincing argument I don't see any point in changing.

In essence, why be religious?

Hope that isn't too mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Christian

A very simple answer is that I appreciate that God came to Earth, took on the limitations of a man, sacrificed Himself in the way that He did, out of love for me, so that I may have eternal life.

I in turn gave my life to Him and as a bonus I reap the benefits of doing His will in my life.

robindch wrote:
    Couldn't have said it better :)
    You taught me well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A very simple answer is that I appreciate that God came to Earth, took on the limitations of a man, sacrificed Himself in the way that He did, out of love for me, so that I may have eternal life.

And what is your primary reason for believing that God exists and that Jesus was anything more than a charismatic leader who got executed by the Romans for being an insurgency threat?

Hypothetically, do you believe that if Jesus wasn't the son of God that he could have become the figure he is now through charisma, legend, war and lies?

Many great men have been declared Gods after their deaths, many people have been portrayed as having mystical powers by ancient texts, what makes this man special?

I would propose that the only thing that makes him special is that you happened to have encountered Him first/most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

DaveMcG said:
    What is your religion and why is it the right one?
    Answer to the first part: Christianity.
    The second part is maybe framed the wrong way. It is the right one because it is the right one, is the pedantic answer. But if you mean, What makes you think it the right one? - then I can provide a few points.

Most importantly, it is revealed to me (and to every true Christian) by God the Holy Spirit. It is an internal awareness of the truth.

Next, it is confirmed by what I have seen of life concerning the nature of man, and in the answers to prayer I have received.

Lastly, it is confirmed by the fulfilled prophecies of the Bible.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Most importantly, it is revealed to me (and to every true Christian) by God the Holy Spirit. It is an internal awareness of the truth.

Do you realise that the vast majority of devout religious people, such as Hindus, Taoist and Muslims feel an identical sense of inner correctness? This deep, seemingly unfounded knowing of the truth is called faith and would appear to be uniform throughout the religious.
    Next, it is confirmed by what I have seen of life concerning the nature of man, and in the answers to prayer I have received.

What about the nature of man has convinced you of the existence of an almighty entity beyond reality?

The things you prayed for, could they have hypothetically occured anyway without divine intervention? Does God always answer your prayers, or just occasionally in what might seem like random chance to a disbeliever?
    Lastly, it is confirmed by the fulfilled prophecies of the Bible.

Such as, do you mind my asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

i dunno what i am really, i beleive in god, i beleive that jesus exsisted but he was not the sun of god so that rules out christianity, same goes for mohammad. i suppose i could be called agnostic but im not 100% what that term would cover. if anyone could clarify?
    i take the bible as a pinch of salt really, it has some great advice on how to be a good human being and also some ridiculous advice aswell, i suppose i try to live life as a good person as opposed to a good christian/muslim/buddist......and so on.

i suppose i could be called agnostic but im not 100% what that term would cover. if anyone could clarify?

Being Agnostic essentially amounts to thinking "I don't know" about the existence of God. You can be along the lines of "God probably exists, but I can't be sure so I'm agnostic" or you can be "This God stuff is very silly, but I suppose I can't be positive."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

i suppose i could be called agnostic but im not 100% what that term would cover. if anyone could clarify?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism... I know it can be annoying just posting links etc. but Agnostic is a very complex term and can, and is, in proper context and in popular context, used to relate many concepts and modes of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Zillah wrote:
    Life is too damn short. Well, my life...
    Your life is definatley too short to bash every religion, faith or path at every opportuinty you get.

scorplett wrote:
    Your life is definatley too short to bash every religion, faith or path at every opportuinty you get.

Attack the post, not the poster. I criticise beliefs that I feel are unfounded or irrational. Some (myself included) would argue that life is too short for self-dellusion and fantasy. If you'd like to actually address my points that'd be cool. Or I could just start insulting you if thats what you're after :rolleyes:

The original post in this thread clearly sets it out as a discussion where different beliefs clash, what exactly were you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes where differing beliefs clash or over lap not the questioning of all of them point blankly to be self-dellusion and fantasy this thread and this forum is not set up for you to intergogate people when they are kind enough to share what thier beliefs are.

The spirituality is not the place to push your atheist agenda Zillah.
    DaveMcG already requested at the start of the thread And keep it civil -- no eye gouging or fish-hooking!

The charter clearly states
    Respect for other people's beliefs and religion is expected at all times, you can disagree with someone or probe into their beliefs without being aggressive or belittling. Such behavior will not be tolerated and may result in being banned.

Consider yourself warned Zillah and stop thread spoiling and putting people off posting.

Thaedydal wrote:
    DaveMcG already requested at the start of the thread And keep it civil -- no eye gouging or fish-hooking!

I'm not the one making off topic personal comments.
    The spirituality is not the place to push your atheist agenda Zillah.

Oh. So some one can push Christianity or Wicca in this discussion but Atheism isn't allowed? Hypocrisy much?

I'm out.

Well then use the report post button.
    This thread is not about pushing anything and wicca or any form of paganism has yet to be mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well my intention WAS about pushing different religions and belief systems! :D The idea is that if everyone pushes their own belief, inconsistencies and lies will inevitably emerge, and in the end we'll come out with a winner!

Maybe this forum wasn't appropriate for posting the thread... I mean I know that you (Thaedydal) don't want people getting offended in general in the forum, but surely this could be a bit different, and we could even put in a disclaimer in the title, so that people know that they won't be getting an easy ride! :D

I think it is great to get people sharing and to compare and contrast esp when it comes to the abramahaic relgions but I won't let people be needled or belittled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yechidah

I'm a Gnostic and am so because I uphold the main precepts that tend to define Gnosticism (particularly the persuit and acquiral of Gnosis, which is experiential knowledge of the Divine), a religion which answers all of the things that orthodox Christianity doesn't for me. Its liberal approach, including the recognition of the Divine Feminine, as well as the Gnostic Church's allowance of the ordination of women, no oath on celibacy, priests can marry, etc., not to mention non-descrimination on race or sexual orientation, makes them the most fitting for my own personal beliefs and why I am in the process of Formation to being ordained as a Gnostic priest, and can then, hopefully, bring an alternative to Catholicism or Paganism to the Irish people.

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'm an alatrist, a neologism I had to coin to describe my position. I accept there may be gods, but will not worship them (alatrist=non-worshipper).

Functionally - I'm an atheist, at least in a Christian or Muslim country, since I definitely don't believe in Jehovah or Allah as per their descriptions.

Philosphically - I don't exclude the possibility of other gods/spirits/etc, which makes me agnostic, with a slight bias towards belief rather than disbelief. I do know a couple of people who have personally met gods (in the form of oracles), and they are people I consider reliable.

Spiritually - while I admit there may be gods, I am emotionally incapable (AFAIK) of bending the knee to any of them, except perhaps under directly delivered explicit personal threat of annihilation. I can entirely understand the joy of submission, both in Islam and Christianity, but I'm afraid it's not for me, thanks.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thaedydal wrote:
    I think it is great to get people sharing and to compare and contrast esp when it comes to the abramahaic relgions but I won't let people be needled or belittled.
    Seconded, tis a great idea. Its good to see folks of different paths openly talking, and not just pushing agendas. My thanks to the Mods of this forum for letting it happen, and to the OP for a very smart idea.

Yechidah wrote:
    I'm a Gnostic and am so because I uphold the main precepts that tend to define Gnosticism (particularly the persuit and acquiral of Gnosis, which is experiential knowledge of the Divine), a religion which answers all of the things that orthodox Christianity doesn't for me.
    Wow, I have always wanted to meet a Gnostic, I am thrilled. When I left Christianity and be came a Buddhist, I carried certain pangs of leaving the religon with me. It was not till I took an interest in Gnosticism that I could finally cut those final bonds.

Scofflaw wrote:
    I'm an alatrist, a neologism I had to coin to describe my position. I accept there may be gods, but will not worship them (alatrist=non-worshipper).

Spiritually - while I admit there may be gods, I am emotionally incapable (AFAIK) of bending the knee to any of them, except perhaps under directly delivered explicit personal threat of annihilation. I can entirely understand the joy of submission, both in Islam and Christianity, but I'm afraid it's not for me, thanks.

It is not for me either.
    Most witches don't believe in gods.
    They know that the gods exist, of course.
    They even deal with them occassionally.
    But they don't believe in them.
    They know them too well.
    It would be like believing in the postman.

There are things that I do for my Gods that have to do with love and honouring them or as I have argued and struck a deal with them,
    but none of them are to debasing myself to them.
    I will doing things in the service of my gods but not out of servitude.

The surrending things onto the gods to sort or fix I never got either,
    I believe that as a human if I have a human problem it is for me to fix and that I have the skills or wherewithal to sort it out or hopefully the wisdom to ask for help when it is needed. But I am stuborn and sometimes it takes a kick in the pants or a slap to the back of the head and that my Gods seem to have in no short supply.

I beleive in reincarnation and I try to live my life as aware as I can and to live deliberatly and conciously make choices in my life and to be responsible for my actions and reactions.

I try to be green and recycle and limit my impact on the earth where I can,
    nature and the change of seasons is importnat to me and noting and celebrating the changes as they happen ( turning the wheel of the year ).

My beliefs and my path are what works for me in my life, what fills me up and works in harmony with what I know, what I feel and what I have experienced.
    I don't expect anyone to completely understand as they are not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I'm yet to find a religion that describes my life experience accurately. The best I can do is mix and match and modify to suit my own needs.
    As a result I only dabble in various practices and never delve deeply into one single practice.
    I like to hold different views on things a la R.A.W. Sticking to one outlook tends to lead to linear thinking for me.

Currently practicing Chaos Magic whenever I have the time.

General intrigue: Taoism, Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, Psychology, Discordianism, Science, Psychedelia, Mythology, Arts...

Intending to incorporate shamanism when I get the chance.

This life style keeps me happy and on my toes. I honestly don't know what's going on in this place but I have my assumptions. I'm probably way off the mark anyway :p

What aspects of shamanism ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Thaedydal wrote:
    What aspects of shamanism ?

I've read very little on the actual practice of shamanism. I've only read brief articles about it and its mentioned in a good few books I've read. It's general vibe/aura appeals to me. Journeying, trance states and the gain of information from apparently external/internal consciousness is something I'd like to look into.

Have my eye on a book called The Cosmc Serpent by Jeremy Narby and I'll look into some more practical reads (anything recommended much appreciated).

Advertisement