Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Exploration, Magdalane Laundry Cork

• 12-05-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43 silverstealth

Hooked up with fat budgie last weekend, this is one of the locations we visited.

The Good Shepherd Convent Asylum - Cork

Built in 1881, the Good Shepherd Convent was the site of an orphanage and a Magdalene laundry until the late 1970s.

Three main buildings - a home, convent, and orphanage - have been in a derelict condition since a serious fire in 2003.
    The laundry building was among a number of buildings that were destroyed in that fire.

Magdalen Asylums grew out of the "rescue movement" in Britain and Ireland the 19th century, which had as its formal goal the rehabilitation of women who had worked as prostitutes. It has been estimated that around 30,000 women were admitted during the 150-year history of these institutions, often against their will. The last Magdalen Asylum in Ireland closed on September 25, 1996. In Ireland, the institutions were named for
    Mary Magdalene, a character in the Bible who repented her sins and became one of Jesus' closest followers.

In receiving patients no discrimination is made in regard to religion, colour, or nationality. After their convalescence, those who desire to remain in the home are placed under a special sister and are known as "Daughters of St. Margaret". They follow a certain rule of life but contract no religious obligations. Should they desire to remain in the convent, after a period of probation, they are allowed to become Magdalens and eventually make the vows of the Magdalen order.

Inmates were required until the 1970s to address all regardless of age, as "mother", and were called "children". As one priest wrote in 1931: "It may be only a white-veiled novice with no vows as yet; and it may be an old white-haired penitent giving back to God but the dregs of a life spent in sin. It matters not. In the Home of the Good Shepherd the one is ever the 'Mother' while the other is always the 'Child'."

To enforce order and maintain a monastic atmosphere, the inmates were required to observe strict silence for much of the day. "The Rule of Silence was a major feature of the women's lives and continues well into the second half of the twentieth century. Corporal punishment was not uncommon.

As the phenomenon became more widespread, it extended beyond prostitution, to unmarried mothers, developmentally challenged women and abused girls. Even young girls who were considered too promiscuous and flirtatious were sometimes sent to an Asylum. This paralleled the practice in State Run asylums in Britain and Ireland in the same period, where many people with "social dysfunction" were committed to asylums.
    The women were typically admitted to these institutions at the request of family members or priests. Without a family member on the outside who would vouch for them, some penitents would stay in the asylums for the rest of their lives, many of them taking religious vows.

Panoramawm.jpg

Angelicwm.jpg

Fascadewm.jpg

gothicfirewm.jpg

KitchenRangewm.jpg

Potlesswm.jpg

TinyTimwm.jpg

Defiancewm.jpg

SilentObservationwm.jpg

BelfastTwinswm.jpg

DivineLightwm.jpg

GrandStaircasewm.jpg

BakeryEntrancewm.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 silverstealth

BakeryOvenswm.jpg

StrippedBarewm.jpg

ArtisticGallerywm.jpg

TheGoodShepherdConventwm.jpg

Curviturewm.jpg

Poppieswm.jpg

ReflectedErosionwm.jpg

Abandondedwm.jpg

Descendingwm.jpg

SBendwm.jpg

LITTLE NELLIE

The Good Shepherd Convent and the adjoining cemetery in the convent grounds are known by many throughout the world because of a little four year old girl called Little Nellie of Holy God. Her real name is Nellie Organ and she was born in the family quarters of the Royal Garrison Barracks in Waterford in August 1903 since her father was working in the British army. It was just three weeks after Pius X was elected Pope. There were four children in the family. Nellie’s father, William, with his family, were transferred to the barracks on Spike Island in Cork Harbor and Nellie’s mother died there. William decided that he could not care for the children and the two girls were given to the care of the Good Shepherd Sisters at St. Finbarr’s Industrial School in Sunday’s Well, Cork and the two boys were sent to another location. Nellie spent only one year in Sunday’s Well before she died due to illness. She had whooping cough when she arrived and it was also discovered that she had a spinal injury which was later found out to have been caused when the family’s child-minder dropped her as a baby. She also had tuberculosis and caries, a rotting disease of the gums and jaws.

Nellie is famous for her outstanding love of Jesus in the Eucharist. A Jesuit, Fr Bury was giving a retreat in the convent and visited Nellie’s bedside each day. He realized that Nellie, although only four years of age, had reached the age of reason. Fr Bury asked her, “What is Holy Communion?” She answered, “It is Holy God.” Fr Bury asked her what would happen when she would be allowed to receive Holy Communion. She answered, “Jesus will rest on my tongue and then he will do down into my heart.” One could scarcely find a more beautiful description for receiving Jesus in Holy Communion. One night when the Mother Superior was wishing Nellie good night Nellie asked her if she would bring Holy God up to her in the morning. Mother Francis said she would come to see her after Mass which Nellie misunderstood as meaning that she would bring her Holy Communion. When Mother Francis came without Holy Communion Nellie was devastated. Then Nellie asked people to come to her bedside for a moment after receiving Jesus in Holy Communion and then they could return to the chapel to finish their thanksgiving. That was the closest she could get to receiving Jesus in Holy Communion. During the retreat Fr Bury realized that Nellie, although only four years and three months, met all the criteria necessary to receive Holy Communion. And at that time children had to wait until the age of twelve to receive Jesus in Holy Communion. Fr Bury heard her confession and contacted the bishop of Cork for permission to give her Holy Communion. The bishop agreed. She was dressed in white and taken down to the convent chapel for her first Holy Communion. This is what Mother Francis said of Nellie receiving Holy Communion,

At the moment of her First Communion, which she received in a transport of love, Nellie’s features shone as if the presence of the great light in her heart reflected itself in her face. Yes, those who saw Nellie then are well convinced that the child’s appearance was not at all ordinary. This phenomenon was seen more particularly at her other Communions because, after the first, she was taken almost immediately out of the chapel and there were only a chosen few who had the happiness to witness the transformation which took place. Then Nellie had not only a countenance more recollected, an attitude more pious than she customarily had, but an extraordinary radiance.”

It is said that Nellie’s thanksgiving for receiving Holy Communion would continue until late in the afternoon. From the day of her First Holy Communion the odor from Nellie’s mouth caused by the rotting of her gums and jaws ceased. Less than two months after receiving her First Holy Communion Nellie died on Sunday 2nd February 1908 ages 4 years, 5 months and 8 days and was buried in St Joseph’s Cemetery in Cork. Eighteen months after her death permission was granted to have Nellie’s remains transferred to the Good Shepherd Convent Cemetery and upon opening her grave her body was found to be incorrupt. Her body was fresh with no sign of the wasting disease she had at her death.

GlowingNelliewm.jpg

LittleNellywm.jpg

More images at http://silverstealth.fotopic.net/c1509609.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Theres some very good ones. Nice work.

Nice one!Some great shots there.Well done on finding it,I had no idea where it was in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You based in Ireland now Silverstealth? If you're passing Waterford on your way to Cork let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shirie

thank you so much the photos bring back memorys
    of my childhood we {strawberry hill girls school}would go the Good Shepherd Convent on days out always remember the nuns talking about little nellie, and playing in the play ground
    so thanks again:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Absolute fantastic collection you have there..pure History.
    Each shot is as good as the last.

The story at the end is heart warming, great post altogether.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Great work silverstealth. :D:D:D

Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pat O'Sullivan

ArtisticGallerywm.jpg

thank you for the upload,this used to be our playroom,remember it very distinctly as it had the Muppet theme,I can still see Kermit on the end,I remember the lads in their overalls that day painting this,one fellah was kind enough to give me a can of cidona,30 years on and a long term resident of London,the room even in the tattered state looks as it was,the toy cuboard on the left is gone but I can see the outline still on the floor,my brother and I used to fly down them stairs aged 5 and 4,even had a playground on the grounds,we would pass the prison on the way up to strawberry hill where we went to school,in school we had outside toilets with no roof,quite bizarre,lol,nice memories of not such a nice time for us,much appreciated for the pics.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭SoCal90046

Thanks for sharing this story and the great photographs. It's really sad to see the buildings fall into disrepair. In the past few years, I have developed such a high regard for the sisters that dedicated themselves to such caring work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pat O'Sullivan

Nellie used to have a room where folk would visit,I remember it very well as it was like something out of Dickens,very old fashioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

Fantastic stuff, congrats:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lovepink_xo

wow,amazing. i really want to go to cork now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I don't suppose anyone could tell me where abouts in Cork this building is located? I think it's up near enough to Blackpool but i'm not too sure. I live in the City Center and would love to take a trip up there to take some shots after seeing the ones here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

very well done. bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calexico

Hi all!

First of all, congrats to Silverstealth for his great pictures!
    Does anybody have any maps/list of locations of Magdalene laundries in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

calexico wrote: »
    Hi all!

First of all, congrats to Silverstealth for his great pictures!
    Does anybody have any maps/list of locations of Magdalene laundries in Ireland?

I recently found the location of the one down here in Cork. It's in an area called Sundays Well. Its about a 20 minute bus journey from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corkys

My mother gave me birth and left me in this place where I stayed a few years, and then went to France where I lived in a family who made me forget the truth about my birth.

Years later, my "wrong" father died and I discovered the truth.
    I knew I was born and raised in Cork on Sunday's Well, but I got no other details.

I have been to Cork and tried to find the place along the river Lee, in every old building, in every old church which looked like convent. Noone could help me. Man told me it used to be an orphanage around but was destroyed. Another person told me about a fire who destroyed the buildings. Noone knew where it was.

After other reseraches, I finally made the relation between Sunday's Well and the Good Shepherd convent and the exact place on a map.
    Now I find these pictures on the web for the very first time. It's a shock. I have been looking for it from such a long time !

Does someone know if everything is destroyed today or if we can still see something before it is completely destroyed ?

Does someone own old pictures or postcards of these buildings ?
    I found lots of pictures about Cork or Sunday's Well, but nothing about the Good Shepherd orphanage.

Does someone know if some registers still exist somewhere, with names of people who used to stay there ?

It might be the possibility for me to find precious personal informations !

Thanks for your help and advices,
    thanks for these pictures !

Sorry for my english...

Alan (aod.cork@gmail.com) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dublingirl23

corkys wrote: »
    My mother gave me birth and left me in this place where I stayed a few years, and then went to France where I lived in a family who made me forget the truth about my birth.

Years later, my "wrong" father died and I discovered the truth.
    I knew I was born and raised in Cork on Sunday's Well, but I got no other details.

I have been to Cork and tried to find the place along the river Lee, in every old building, in every old church which looked like convent. Noone could help me. Man told me it used to be an orphanage around but was destroyed. Another person told me about a fire who destroyed the buildings. Noone knew where it was.

After other reseraches, I finally made the relation between Sunday's Well and the Good Shepherd convent and the exact place on a map.
    Now I find these pictures on the web for the very first time. It's a shock. I have been looking for it from such a long time !

Does someone know if everything is destroyed today or if we can still see something before it is completely destroyed ?

Does someone own old pictures or postcards of these buildings ?
    I found lots of pictures about Cork or Sunday's Well, but nothing about the Good Shepherd orphanage.

Does someone know if some registers still exist somewhere, with names of people who used to stay there ?

It might be the possibility for me to find precious personal informations !

Thanks for your help and advices,
    thanks for these pictures !

Sorry for my english...

Alan (aod.cork@gmail.com) :o

Hi corky will mail you some information on records and FOI. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corkys

Dublingirl wrote:
    Hi corky will mail you some information on records and FOI. :)

Thanks !!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dublingirl23

No problem at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi all,
    looking at the pictures was great, i visited the site a couple of years ago but it was all boarded up and could,nt get in.
    it has been sold to developers and the only part that is being kept is the graveyard, it is to become luxury apartments.
    my mother and her sisters spent their childhood their in the care of the nuns and they had a very bad childhood, the nuns where very unkind and abusive.
    it,s great to see these places gone......kathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LookinForClues

Can anyone help me with tracing orphanage records for the Good Shepherd convent in Cork. I believe my mother was taken in as a baby and spent many years there. Are there any Records containing names and dates available ?

Any help appreciated.

hi looking for clues,
    all the records are now kept in the good shepherd limerick ph 021 4551200. i wrote to them years ago to ask for information on my mother but they said they had nothing, not very helpful.
    what years was your mother their my mother and her 5 sisters where their from 1956 onwards.
    my aunt in england is still in touch with a lot of the girls......kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LookinForClues

Thanks Kathy,

I will try that... but not get my hopes up too high. My mother was put in to the orphanage in Feb 1933 and I am unsure of how she actually came to leave in the end. I was hoping to get some dates and the details of the move from Cork to Belfast.

hi looking for clues,
    i know most of the girls that left st finbarrs where placed in work by the nuns in hospitals or convents run by different orders of nuns.
    i know my aunt was sent to mt carmel hospital in dublin to work in the kitchens she got very little money only her room and board and worked 7 days a week they where really taken advantage of......kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lgybtr

I am a second year Geography undergraduate at the University of Nottingham . I am conducting a research project into the Magdalene Laundries as part of my studies.

My research has two main arms:

1) To understand and shed light upon the ways in which descendants of whose women incarcerated identify with the trauma experiences endured in the laundries. This will involve interviewing and getting to know the relatives.

2) To examine the ways in which society identifies with the legacies of the Laundries. This is a far more politically charged arm.

Therefore, I am looking for descedants of the ladies who were put inside and any other people are interested in these institutions.
    Confidentiality and respect are of the utmost importance and can be guaranteed.

If you want to get in contact with me my email is lgybtr@yahoo.com

If you have any questions please feel free to email me or leave a post on this thread.

Regards,

Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 claire127

you could try the charity, barnardos. they hold a lot of the records now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

there was a magdalane laundry across the road from me for years here in dublin, it was destroyed about 10 years ago in a fire. i remember exploring bits of it a a child but we never really went through it because we were too scared. it is now the site of apartments.

it is great that you are keeping a link to the past with these photos, i am sad that all the history (no matter how negative) of the laundry near me was destroyed forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 scribe1

great pics

• Registered Users Posts: 3 curtisstephens

where exactly is it? is it just behind St.Anns? and how do you get in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

some more photos here;

www.abandonedireland.com/mc.html

Advertisement