Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

There's a white unmarked around blanch/finglas. Wonder how long before they do something with it. Wonder what clown had the idea of having white unmarked cars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There's a white unmarked around blanch/finglas. Wonder how long before they do something with it. Wonder what clown had the idea of having white unmarked cars ?

Unmarked cars aren't necessarily meant to be inconspicuous, its just cheaper than marking them up. So it doesn't really matter if it sticks out like a sore thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

mmcn90 wrote: »

Unmarked cars aren't necessarily meant to be inconspicuous, its just cheaper than marking them up. So it doesn't really matter if it sticks out like a sore thumb

I'm impressed they spent a few extra quid on metallic paint for that Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Is it me or is that a jag beside the focus?

That'd be nice to see marked up.

source wrote: »
    Is it me or is that a jag beside the focus?

That'd be nice to see marked up.

I doubt its a Garda car, it seems to have Tax, insurance and NCT disks. Although it would look class marked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw a very nice marked Saab patrol car parked up in the yard in Clondalkin Garda Station today,never saw a marked one before,very sleek looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Saab goin cheap now since they went wallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Saw a very nice marked Saab patrol car parked up in the yard in Clondalkin Garda Station today,never saw a marked one before,very sleek looking.

Prob an old one? They got three for the EU presidency bit, one met a wall, one was in the supts parking spot in the castle with a cover on it for a few years, dunno bout the third, all leather heated seats etc, high spec cars and so on... Rare!

Haven't heard of any new ones coming in unless it was one of the trial ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

I see that picture of the marked Saab was taken in 2005. How come it has battenburg markings and is not traffic or ASU?

• Advertisement

Anyone know why they've marked up a UK BMW, testing for a tender?

• mmcn90 wrote: »
    Anyone know why they've marked up a UK BMW, testing for a tender?

It's a demo model. Companies supply cars and bike for demo from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

foreign wrote: »
    It's a demo model. Companies supply cars and bike for demo from time to time.

Does anyone here think that they will actually purchase BMW's? I imagine that perhaps the tender is open and as per usual its the cheapest will win the contract, so it will probably be some type of renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

kub wrote: »
    Does anyone here think that they will actually purchase BMW's? I imagine that perhaps the tender is open and as per usual its the cheapest will win the contract, so it will probably be some type of renault.

ford won the current tender

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

POGAN wrote: »
    ford won the current tender

Is this a post-Avensis tender? If so, do you have any more details--what models did they go for?

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Is this a post-Avensis tender? If so, do you have any more details--what models did they go for?

Yes after the toyota one, it was awarded last month i think, dont know what model or anything. heard could be estate focus like the regular 10 reg one around dublin, but id love to see some bmws on the road, theres bmw x5 aswell marked up for traffic with english reg on it at the moment

Jesus, how long was the contract for!? Feels like Toyota only signed up yesterday.

Jesus, how long was the contract for!? Feels like Toyota only signed up yesterday.

it was signed in 2010 about 190 cars but there awful for pol work

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Toyota was only a temporary measure to replace the lethally old cars in the fleet, which they have done, the BMWs are in on tender now, they had Skodas a few weeks ago, same as a few years ago, they'll have 1 or 2 cars from each of the players, Toyota, Ford, BMW, Skoda, Volvo (I think) to test drive and put thru their paces.... for a longer term contract for renewal of the fleet as cars become dangerously old or are written off... similar to the ford contract from the late 90s on to 2010

Toyotas are alright but they're only for show they look great but wont stand up to the rigors and abuse of daily police work, and dont handle anything like the mondeos... BMW would be something else but I can't see them ever being general issue if they're bought at all, ie you wont see your local friendly copper in em, it'll be SOME traffic and the likes of RSU etc.... can't see Joe Public accepting Guards in BMWs, joe duffy's phone line would burn out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

d3exile wrote: »
    Toyota was only a temporary measure to replace the lethally old cars in the fleet, which they have done, the BMWs are in on tender now, they had Skodas a few weeks ago, same as a few years ago, they'll have 1 or 2 cars from each of the players, Toyota, Ford, BMW, Skoda, Volvo (I think) to test drive and put thru their paces.... for a longer term contract for renewal of the fleet as cars become dangerously old or are written off... similar to the ford contract from the late 90s on to 2010

Toyotas are alright but they're only for show they look great but wont stand up to the rigors and abuse of daily police work, and dont handle anything like the mondeos... BMW would be something else but I can't see them ever being general issue if they're bought at all, ie you wont see your local friendly copper in em, it'll be SOME traffic and the likes of RSU etc.... can't see Joe Public accepting Guards in BMWs, joe duffy's phone line would burn out!!!

beemers would defiantly a step in the right direction for the gardaí, robust german engineering, but i have to ask and this is purely out of interest here, as bmw's are rear wheel drive and the majority of every day cars are front wheel drive, would that pose a problem for all the training the garda drivers do considering a rear wheel drive car handles totally different on corners, and with gardaí regularly pushing the envelope on bend and in traffic

Who BMW or Toyota ?

Who BMW or Toyota ?

Toyota

ivabiggon wrote: »
    beemers would defiantly a step in the right direction for the gardaí, robust german engineering, but i have to ask and this is purely out of interest here, as bmw's are rear wheel drive and the majority of every day cars are front wheel drive, would that pose a problem for all the training the garda drivers do considering a rear wheel drive car handles totally different on corners, and with gardaí regularly pushing the envelope on bend and in traffic

Watched this the other night, might as well post it.

Toyota

That makes sense :)

Decision has already been made, Ford have the contract:

www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY345855

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is the idea behind some thinking that you can buy 30 Toyotas whereas you may only get 15 BMWs for the same money, that type of thing?

I'm on my phone and the pink won't work for me, but is that not the service contract rather than supply of vehicles, I know there was one for that recently.

I'm on my phone and the pink won't work for me, but is that not the service contract rather than supply of vehicles, I know there was one for that recently.

Nope its for procurement of police specification and standard vehicles.

• Advertisement

Good to hear, although I wouldn't have minded seeing a few octavia vrs'

Advertisement