Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fail

• 20-02-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Car was failed on a torn cv boot and leaking rear shock absorbers.

Would appreciate if anyone could give me a reasonable expectation of price.

I had a quote of €530 but that seems to be massively taking the piss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Stating what car it is would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

2000 1.6 Passat Petrol

Should be more in the region of 350-400 I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

expensive... 560 . cv boot itself cost around 25 euro, shock absorbers would be 160 for both, could get cheaper, but dont think so it worth it. roughly 200 for parts, 100 for labour. well i would charge as nixer.
    garage would be more for labour. ... would say good 200 .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Zamboni wrote: »
    I had a quote of €530 but that seems to be massively taking the piss.

That just about covers it alright. Who quoted you that price?

CV boot supply and fit should be about €70. Now there is a chance that the CV joint itself is worn and should be replaced as well. This would not show up on the NCT sheet, they will only fail on the visual defect namely the boot being split. But if the joint is worn it should still be replaced.

€200-220 should easily cover supply and fit of a pair of new rear shocks.

So I reckon €300 would cover it as long as the CV joint is ok. If the CV joint needs changing you can get a cheap one for around €50-60 (or possibly even cheaper online) or a OEM quality part for €100-120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My GTI failed the NCT 3 weeks back because of a frayed front left CV boot. Got the part in VW for €28, and my mechanic did the work for me today.....free of charge! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Fizman wrote: »
    My GTI failed the NCT 3 weeks back because of a frayed front left CV boot. Got the part in VW for €28, and my mechanic did the work for me today.....free of charge! :)

Good to you, as there is quiet a lot of work to be done. seems to be you are very valued costumer for your mechanic,must be you paid a lot in past, so he can afford do some things free. it is 1 hour or bit more job

Advertisement