Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Stevens at the O2 in November..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

the people leaving, booing and slow hand clapping were a disgrace
    the billboards did indicate that he would be showcasing his new show
    i loved the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tannapol

Agree with MMD except wouldn't describe it as bizarre. 'Dire' is the word that springs to mind. First half was so-so as he went through some of his lesser back catalogue. Great, we thought, he's saving the best till last.
    Then second half started with a truly awful musical - think very bad 'Fiddler on the Roof', with dated choreography and a butchering of Mattew & son, father and son, Wild World, sung by High School Musical type ensemble, i.e. no Yusuf Islam - this went on for 30 mins. Crowd very restive - boos and catcalls - I truly thought there could be a riot.
    Then he came back on and more or less apologised - better than the musical but he never did the big three songs. Perverse or what?
    Did he not realise the implicit bargain - he could bore us with some lite Islamic stuff as long as he gave us the Greatest Hits. Why otherwise charge €75 - €100.
    Punters very unhappy leaving - and some of them vociferous about it - I saw a man and a woman taken away in handcuffs by Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

dolittle wrote: »
    the people leaving, booing and slow hand clapping were a disgrace
    the billboards did indicate that he would be showcasing his new show
    i loved the show

did you not think that particular section of the show was even remotely self indulgent? I mean come on...having west end actors signing some of your classic songs is in my opinion a disgrace.

All in, how long was he actually on stage??

Onstage 8pm...8 songs, interval...THAT section...then 3 encores.

Don't get me wrong Dolittle, when he was good, he was awesome, but that section of the show was just a very very bitter pill to swallow. I, unlike a lot in my section, stayed to the end.

As a very frequent gig goer, I cannot remember anything like this happening at a gig before.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

tannapol wrote: »
    Agree with MMD except wouldn't describe it as bizarre. 'Dire' is the word that springs to mind. First half was so-so as he went through some of his lesser back catalogue. Great, we thought, he's saving the best till last.
    Then second half started with a truly awful musical - think very bad 'Fiddler on the Roof', with dated choreography and a butchering of Mattew & son, father and son, Wild World, sung by High School Musical type ensemble, i.e. no Yusuf Islam - this went on for 30 mins. Crowd very restive - boos and catcalls - I truly thought there could be a riot.
    Then he came back on and more or less apologised - better than the musical but he never did the big three songs. Perverse or what?
    Did he not realise the implicit bargain - he could bore us with some lite Islamic stuff as long as he gave us the Greatest Hits. Why otherwise charge €75 - €100.
    Punters very unhappy leaving - and some of them vociferous about it - I saw a man and a woman taken away in handcuffs by Gardai.

The musical was featured very heavily in all advertising.
    I don't get why people thought it wasn't going to happen.
    And booing the singers, thats just horrible.

I'm glad the ignorant muppets who left missed the fantastic version of Moonshadow, and indeed the Ronan Keating bit at the end. The drunken imbeciles shouting random song titles all through the show were a disgrace - I've seen Christy Moore flat-out stop gigs for less.

I really enjoyed the concert all in all, but, the audience annoyed me!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i really enjoyed the musical part and will go and see it.

i was disgusted at the behaviour of the people around us. it was made very clear that he was going to show a preview of the musical.

the amount of people i heard on the way out saying they were going to contact joe and gerry about the show was laughable, what is wrong with this country.

i have to say i did get a bit scared at one point and thought there was going to be a riot, and was frantically looking for the emergency exits. i seen the gardai come in alright but didnt notice them taking anyone out

• Advertisement

MMD wrote: »
    did you not think that particular section of the show was even remotely self indulgent? I mean come on...having west end actors signing some of your classic songs is in my opinion a disgrace.

Don't get me wrong Dolittle, when he was good, he was awesome, but that section of the show was just a very very bitter pill to swallow. I, unlike a lot in my section, stayed to the end.

As a very frequent gig goer, I cannot remember anything like this happening at a gig before.

He said he'd show highlights from a musical he wrote based around his songs.

I'm curious as to what you would have expected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was working for this...now I was upstairs but I'm told downstairs got quite volatile for a while with people demanding money back (and we are nothing to do with that whatsoever). Very strange, bizzare format though I didn't see much of it obviously.

What was the song in the middle that some kid was singing? Pity it wasn't himself singing, but I liked the tune, wouldnt mind googling it.

Slightly larger Garda presence than normal towards the end I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

of course it was self indulgent
    its represents his journey of finding himself, his rebirth so to speak

He said he'd show highlights from a musical he wrote based around his songs.

I'm curious as to what you would have expected

a half an hours worth? Fine, if he was singing it....but not the actors.

he was barely on stage for that time, and actors sang some of his classics! That is the point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

He always wanted to do a musical so let the man do his musical!

I thought it was a pretty good gig, the musical did go on too long in fairness but it didnt wreck my night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

irishbird wrote: »
    i

the amount of people i heard on the way out saying they were going to contact joe and gerry about the show was laughable, what is wrong with this country.

everyone wants an excuse to call joe:pac: especially all those geriatrics pricks who walked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

What a great show, and what a moronic audience!

Billboard: Yusuf, featuring his new musical "Moonshadow"
    Audience: "We want Cat Stevens!"
    Me: Then start working on a time machine because Cat Stevens is no more, and hasn't been for 33 years!

In a way I hope this gets the same reaction in the 3 English dates, then I won't have to be ashamed of being part of an Irish audience.

One negative I will say about the show, I do think it was improperly structured. I reckon the musical should have been on first with an intro by Yusuf, like the one he did anyway, but more highlighting the fact that this was a SAMPLE of the musical. Not excusing their shameful reaction, I do think a lot of people were confused and thought that when the musical started that it would be for the rest of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

MMD wrote: »

"The truth, the _____ truth, and nothing but the truth!" I think your missing the middle bit there. Your comment "then 3 encores" is rather misleading. Because Yusuf didn't play 3 SONGS, did he? I remember (after Musical section):
    Don't Be Shy
    This Glass World
    Breakdown
    Moonshadow
    Peace Train
    All Kinds of Roses
    Lilly White
    Tuesdays Dead
    Father and Son

The 8 songs you mentioned from the start, these nine, and probably 1 or 2 I can't immediately recall, thats about TWENTY Yusuf/Cat songs in all. Thats the whole truth.

I saw Neil Young this year. 17 songs
    I saw Leonard Cohen this year. 25 songs
    I saw Nick Cave this year. 15 songs
    I saw Metallica this year. 19 songs
    I saw Eric Clapton this year. 18 songs
    I saw plenty more this year. Average less than 20 songs
    I saw Yusuf Islam this year. TWENTY(estimate) songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Khloe Gifted Boot

I'm not going to argue with the people here who thought it was a good gig, your entitled to your opinion - but I think your deluded.

This truely was the worse gig I've been to in my life, only other time I walked out of a gig was Bob Dylan, Slane '84.

And yes, at one stage I thought there was a real risk of crowd trouble. As I was leaving (early) there was a significant Garda presence, I met a friend of mine was is a member of AGS who told me he'd been sent down as part of AGS re-enforcements because security were concerned at the amount of unhappy people.

I feel like Yusef took the piss, damned disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I wrote this report in another forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63026089&postcount=96070

I think the musical was on far too long. Ten mins would have been fine and given us the preview he had promised.

He had a chance to redeem himself after the musical. IMO he didn't.

Some of the crowd were a complete joke. Some of them starting booing, slow clapping after 10 mins. Agree with previous poster, those morons shouting out random songs should be fcuked out straight away.

Wow at the people leaving in handcuffs. Worst I saw was one girl who had totally lost it and was parading along the stage trying to get Cat's attention. Luckily he didn't seem to spot her.

I think overall, I was embarrassed for him and (someone brought this up), I'd bet my last euro that it will be amended hugely for the English gigs !!!

I'm not going to argue with the people here who thought it was a good gig, your entitled to your opinion - but I think your deluded.

This truely was the worse gig I've been to in my life, only other time I walked out of a gig was Bob Dylan, Slane '84.

And yes, at one stage I thought there was a real risk of crowd trouble. As I was leaving (early) there was a significant Garda presence, I met a friend of mine was is a member of AGS who told me he'd been sent down as part of AGS re-enforcements because security were concerned at the amount of unhappy people.

I feel like Yusef took the piss, damned disgrace.

You left early?
    How early?

I thought Moonshadow was amazingly brilliant!
    Did anyone recognise the singer who sang the song with Yusuf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Charles Onions

Moonshadow was the most excruciating live experience of my life. It was irredeemable guff that would have been condescending if it was the christmas entertainment at an old folks home. And to then add Keating to that mix? There's just no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Khloe Gifted Boot

The concert is being discussed on Gerry Ryan right now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Did anyone recognise the singer who sang the song with Yusuf?

LOL seriously ?

It was was Ronan Keating

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

simple question ,,,,was the musical interlude advirtised??

were people aware of it before the show??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It was advertised as being a part of the show, but I don't think people expected it to take up as much of the night as it did - maybe have the set on stage, and do a few songs with some dancers, or something, but not have him not be on stage for so long, and certainly not have key songs from his back catalogue NOT being sung by him.
    Nevertheless, apart from grievances with the musical, I think a lot of people expected a two hour show of Cat Stevens songs, which was never going to happen, given that he's got two albums under his belt as Yusuf, and his philosophy is that some of the songs from the seventies are not in keeping with his world view now, so they were never likely to be played in the first place.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

It was advertised as being a part of the show, but I don't think people expected it to take up as much of the night as it did - maybe have the set on stage, and do a few songs with some dancers, or something, but not have him not be on stage for so long, and certainly not have key songs from his back catalogue NOT being sung by him.

+1 totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Yep, I never read anything about there being a musical part of the show.
    Regardless, it was disappointing to hear young actors and actress's singing Cat Stevens songs. I paid to see him singing them.
    Little niave of Cat me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"play peacetrain you f&ckin bollix"

only in ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

fryup wrote: »
    "play peacetrain you f&ckin bollix"

only in ireland:rolleyes:

WHAT?! Did someone shout that out?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

WHAT?! Did someone shout that out?

Now that I did not hear...that IS disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A 30 min advertisement during his show? Wow

If he was a poster on Boards he'd be banned for being a shill.

LOL at the "peacetrain" heckle.

irishbird wrote: »
    LOL seriously ?

It was was Ronan Keating
    :rolleyes:
    Keating sang Father and son - Who sang Moonshadow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Gerry Ryan said last week was that he was really looking forward to this gig. I didn't hear what he had to say earlier. Can someone give me the gist of what he said about the gig ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

chughes wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan said last week was that he was really looking forward to this gig. I didn't hear what he had to say earlier. Can someone give me the gist of what he said about the gig ?

He and a security guard lambasted the people who were shouting and getting abusive. Security guard said one of his crew was assaulted, said he was head butted and bitten :eek::eek: Ryan reckoned Ireland would come out of it very bad when word gets to England about it. He wanted someone who had lost the plot to ring in but nobody did. They all agreed that Yusuf was naive and that it was mainly dissapointing but that people had over reacted, which is fair enough I suppose. He said he met Yusuf after and that he was visibly shaken. Ryan also said he (Ryan) was embarrassed.

Advertisement